Thread: Ferrari F2005
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005, 04:12 PM   #5
|Nuno|
Regular User

Originally Posted by komotar
Thx for the giant update |Nuno|!

Interesting read and the car looks nice...
No problem, and just call me Nuno, without the "||" thingy... Someone already had Nuno, so...
----

More comments:

Todt: 'I respect the other teams'

Maranello, 25th February – In the press briefing after the official presentation of the F2005, Ferrari Managing Director, Jean Todt revealed that it was hoped that the new car would be ready to make its race debut at the fifth race of the season; the Spanish Grand Prix at Barcelona.

“We will start testing it early next week at a venue that will depend on the weather,” said Todt. Asked if it was a disadvantage not to have the new car for the start of the season, Todt smiled and replied, “We cannot predict the result of the first four races. There are many unknown factors, like the one set of tyres for a race and so there are plenty of question marks. It is an interesting situation.” With the winter months dominated by the political rather than the sporting side of Formula 1, Todt was asked to comment on Ferrari’s re-signing of the Concorde Agreement, which sets them apart from the teams associated with the GPWC. “First I would point out that it was Paolo Cantarella (former Fiat president,) who initiated the GPWC,” began Todt. “We always said that, if we could reach an agreement with the FIA, with Ecclestone, with the banks, we would do so. Only after reaching this agreement did we step out of the GPWC.” Todt also felt that Ferrari was justified in getting a better financial package than other teams.

“Ferrari has always been special and is tied to F1 just as F1 is tied to Ferrari. It helped to create what F1 is today. It is like in the movies where the stars get paid more. Ferrari is a star and wants to be paid like a star. The others might be frustrated but they would demand the same if they were in our situation.” With Ferrari having dominated the 2004 season, Todt was asked why he felt this year would be particularly tough. “The other teams are very good and I respect them. They and the engine manufacturers and Bridgestone’s rivals have all done a great job. Now it is up to us to provide our team with whatever is needed and make sure we are ready for the challenge.” Finally, Todt was asked if after over a decade with the Scuderia, he did not consider taking on another challenge. “I think it would be difficult to find a more complete challenge than my role here at Ferrari,” said the Frenchman.

Montezemolo: 'a time for faith and optimism'

Maranello, 25th February – The launch of the F2005 ended with a speech from Ferrari President, Luca di Montezemolo.

“First of all, thank you all for coming. I think I speak for everyone when I say our thoughts are with the Pope, because one of the most intense moments of the past few years occurred a few weeks ago when we went to the Vaticanb for an audience. Despite being very tired, the Pope had the strength to speak at length with all of us showing his passion while also taking the opportunity to put over his views on the value of sport and its ethics which are often on the decline. I wish to send our deepest felt wishes to an exceptional Pope.”

This is always an important day for us,” continued Montezemolo. “The years go by, but the spirit, the sense of friendship and collaboration have never been lacking, especially in the difficult moments. 2004 was really busy, both professionally and personally. We have won so much in Formula 1, more than anyone else. This team is strong and stable, but with young people continually growing and taking on more and more responsibility under the guidance of Ross and Rory. I like to think back to the presentations of the past: I remember in 1992, when it was hard to understand who had made the car; I recall the years of rebuilding and then 97, 98 and 99 when we lost the drivers title at the very last race. We constantly raised our expectations and this year we want to maintain our current position. In life as in sport, one cannot win all the time, but nevertheless that is what we have set as our goal. This is not just what I want, but also what Todt and everyone at Ferrari wants, because we are up against major manufacturers and we have to push as hard as we can.”

“What concerns me more is to give Ferrari economic autonomy and I think this will be achieved by the end of 2012. Ferrari has some amazing and important sponsors and technical partners, but a different financial structure to our competitors and so we want autonomy so that we are not dependent on FIAT, which has always given a lot to Ferrari and will continue to do so, but economic and operational autonomy is very important. So, for 2008, we are preparing an all-Ferrari championship, which should be interesting,” joked Montezemolo. “Joking apart, between now and 2008 a lot of things will happen. Let’s wait and see.”

The President then turned to Ferrari’s industry achievements in 2004. “This has been an exceptional year. In a few days, at the Geneva Motor Show, we will present the F430 Spider a car born out of collaboration with Formula 1. FIAT and Alfa Romeo will also have an important presence at the show. So we have grand aims for 2005: easy to say, harder to do. Our collaboration with Bridgestone will be vital and in fact this car is born out of close cooperation with the Japanese company. We start with last year’s car modified. As Brawn said, we believe this is the right choice and I think once again this year, we will be front runners. This presentation is the time for faith and optimism. Here is our whole world, our territory, our partners and our suppliers. Together we will do everything possible to keep the two titles at Maranello. We will do all we can to keep both trophies in Maranello. The journalists are asking “who will beat Ferrari.” I hope the answer is Ferrari.”
----

And as you probably have already read, this won't be the car that will be used at Spain. Like last year, Ferrari will introduce several modifications during testing.

Meh, I can't wait for Melbourne! And is it just me, or time is draaagging...