View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 04:55 AM   #15
Kiran
Regular User

First of all: thx everyone for the replies! I never expected so many but it's really nice to hear people's oppinion.

To sum it up, I counted the positive & negative votes for each car:
Espace : For 4 / Against 1
Saag 9-5 : For 4 / Against 1
Volvo S80 : For 2 / Against 1
Peugeot : For 1 / Against 1

So basically you guys are saying go for the Saab or the Espace.
The Saab is the sportiest of the three sedans and the Espace is a big & good peoplecarrier.

Originally Posted by Wutputt
Well if carrying 5 tall adults really is a big issue, I would say the Espace is the way to go. But if the car has to carry 5 adults from time to time but not that many, maybe a sedan is more interesting.
Yep, that's basically it. We only use the car about once in 2 weeks for 5 people, when we go and visit some family for instance. And usually the trips aren't very long (max one hour). But we did go to Italy this summer with 5 people in the Opel Omega and that wasn't really comfortable because the backbench is sized for 2 people.

@Wutputt: thx for the comparison! It's nice to hear it from someone who knows all the cars!!

@TT: Thx for the information, those are really serious problems and will be taken into account. But the fact is, it's allways a bit of luck with cars. And usually the first cars that come out have a few small problems. These are far from small off course.

BTW, if we would go for the Saab 9-5, I will try and convince my dad for the 3.0 V6. The 2.2 is exactly the same engine that he currently has in his Omega (GM engine). I wouldn't say it's bad, but that's about it. It's enough to get you along at a fluent pace but nothing more. The 2.5 BMW engine he had before was older but a lot better. With the 3.0 the base price will be quite high but I think we will get a big discount because of the age of the car.

About the other suggestions:
-VW Touran: In Belgium the Touran is quite a lot cheaper then the rest of the cars, even a full spec one would be quite a bit below the budget... And to be honest I don't like the look if it.
- VW Passat: We testdrove that one when my dad was looking for a car last time. It was with the 1.9TDI 130hp engine, which is really strong. The problem is that the headroom in the back isn't so good.
Maybe the next Passat will do better... but 4 months is a bit long I think. The waiting list on new models is probably longer too.

Again : thx for the replies!!
Kiran is offline   Reply With Quote