View Single Post
Old 02-07-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
1zippo1
Regular User

Default Renault Espace vs Saab 9-5 vs Volvo S80 vs Peugeot 607

I wanted to ask your oppinion about these cars because my dad is looking for a new company car. Plz don't suggest things like a BMW 5 or Mercedes E. I know they're nice but they don't fit the budget.

We still have to go and visit the dealers but this is what came out after I did a comparison based on the max price and the available room in the car.

Basically my dad needs a car to make some 45.000km/year, that has a big boot to carry all the equipement and still has room for 5 fairly tall adults and last but not least because it's a leasing car, it has to be a diesel!

Now yes I know a monovolume car like the Espace is probably best suited for all of this but to be honest I prefer a sedan. And I have a little say in this so

I'll go through the 4 cars first and then sum up the others that didn't make it.

This is my dad's current car, a Opel Omega 2.2DTi 120hp

The Renault Espace 2.2dci 150hp:

My dad really likes this car because my uncle has one and he took it for a testdrive. Now I can see his point.
For: Room inside, good engine, good chassis, safest car on the market
Against: I don't like the way you sit in the back with the floor of the car just 20cm beneath the seat...

About teh next 3 cars I can't be so specific because I don't know that much about them as I do about the Espace.

Volvo S80 2.4D 130hp or 2.5 163hp:

For: reliable, good ride

Saab 9-5 2.2 120hp or 3.0 177hp:

For: probably a lot of discount because it's an older model, 3.0 V6 177hp would be very nice
Against: older model => chassis...???

Peugeot 607 2.2 136hp:

For & Against: Mediocre quality for a mediocre pricetag I think

Others that I doubt are suited:
Too expensive: BMW 525d, Audi A6 Avant, Merc E

Probably too small in the back: Alfa 166, Ford mondeo, Mazda 6, Toyota Avensis

Too ugly: Citroen C5, Lancia Thesis, Nissan Primera

Other probs: Audi A6 is perfect except for the tiny boot entrance wich makes it impossible to load my dads stuff...

Anyway, I'm just curious about what you guys think.
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote