Thread: Ruf R Turbo
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2004, 07:36 AM   #13
st-anger
Regular User

first, thx for posting Porsche related material pilone, BUT as mentioned b4, plz try to post in the right section, see details here:

:arrow: http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...=182252#182252
THX

to join the discussion a bit ( even if it should be moved ) here´s my opinion...

i know that there´re many fans from RUF here on the forum, for some maybe interesting, most of them´ll come from US…
That Mr.Ruf is a real enthusiast is undoubted, he is very much concerned about his customers and it´s quite common that customer and Alois get an amicable relationship…
Alois Ruf is especially well know in US and there #1 Porsche tuner, he almost gets all his business from over there, also including Asian and Arabic regions, here in germany or gernerally in west europe he´s probably on 3rd position and i´m sure only some will know him, so why´s Alois and his products so popular in US and not in his home country??? well, although he has the his principal office in germany, he´s all the time in US where he get´s his customers from there but more and more, as I said, from Arabic/Asian region…
all this is very much appreciated by the American customers and this message is spread all over the country and also to the regions mentioned above, ever talked to a Asian Porsche guy and asked what´s the main tuner there for Porsche…i´m sure answer´ll be RUF…
I think we have some members from that regions, would be nice if someone could post a comment on this…
here in germany, home of all the major Porsche tuners, it´s more or less a two men show, Gemballa and TechArt, Ruf coming in 3rd and as mentioned in previous posts, “my” favourite, RS-Tuning ( RS for “Reinhold Schmirler“ ) only 4th …
so, why´s that…???
I mean I can´t say that ppl have too less knowledge on Porsche tuning, 85% of the ppl can only say what the hear from the media, and media and marketing made the top three big…and IMO that´s it…
an example here as well, starting again with RUF, here they´re only popular because the US hype is getting over a bit, sure it´s a german tuner and Porsche is the germans beloved brand, and a tuned Porsche is “even better” so regardeless if they know very little about a tuner, it´s good, can hit 215mph, can do 0-60 in under 4 … reliability??? what´s that ???
Gemballa and TechArt – here it´s all about competition and performance, 500hp, 600hp, 700hp up to 850hp in Gemballas top product for the (...see ) merican market…
this tuning is IMO more that silly as i´ve posted somewhere b4 IMO tuning up to 550 to 600hp is absolutely the maximum, everything beyond this can´t be either good and/or true, ever tested a 700hp engine on a test rig??? I bet it won´t deliver all that power, this can´t be done only with some mods like exhaust, ECU, turbos and IC, such tuning is not only very very expensive it´ll be extremely expensive, nevertheless ppl buy it just for showing off, “i´ve a 700hp Cayenne ” yeah…..boohoooo m8….
i´ve good friends at 9ff and TechArt, and once had the chance to take a ride with Jan Fatthauer in a 704hp GT2, definitely and impressive car, 0-60 in something around 3.5 sec to 200kmh ( ~125mph ) just some seconds more, but when it comes down to reliability…well, that´s another topic…
who needs a 600+ hp car, who is able to drive 340kmh, where??? With what tyres??? Sure now there´re 360kmh road tyres, but are they just for fast driving or for track use too – probably not, and buying a 300k € car just for driving 300+ - ok, good luck, only place where you can do that is german autobahn…
so I don’t see any sense of such performance, after some laps on a track the owner will have to replace nearly the whole car due to wear…
but back to the Tuners, so TechArt and Gemballa both have records on the NS, both take part in competitions like “Tuner GP” – where´s RUF….???
Their only real “joker” had been their 215mph record – now beaten by TechArt and by far by 9ff… so hopefully they´ll face the competition in 2005 at Tuner GP…
to come back to RUF, they´re not officially supported by PAG, which means like normal customers he has to buy his parts from Porsche dealers and don´t get them from Weissach directly…
in the end I haven´t heared too much good things about RUF but definitely not only bad things, e.g. i´m definitely looking forward to his “R50” project, and here´s the answer to the “from where…?” question some might come up with…
Reinhold Schmirler, owner of RS-Tuning, worked for RUF years ago, and from him we know how things are running inside RUF. As you know we know RS quite good, again IMO the one and only Porsche tuner, supported by PAG, he officially supports racing teams mainly with engine tuning and anyone who´s looking for a “real” tuning for his Porsche engine definitely talks with Reinhold, he´s one of the few remaining serious tuners, not only fast business and that´s it…
just look at the results of the hardest endurance race – the 24h at the NS – when a Porsche ranks among the best, be sure the engine of the car is a RS tuned one…

so, don´t get me wrong, i´m not a critic of tuning and of RUF in general, but it should be done in a good an appropriate way, not only business, more technical focused when it comes down to reliability, and all the performance claims should be more transparent for the customers…but all this is just my opinion…
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote