Thread: XLR-V spy pics
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2004, 06:13 PM   #28
SilverPhoenix
Regular User

Originally Posted by Vansquish
so is it that the XLR is that bad, or the SL500 is just that good........or both? i suppose the XLR just looks good on paper but as i have driven neither, specs are all i have to go by.

The XLR is not a good competitor for the SL...it is overpriced, and underpowered. The Northstar V8 produces a measly 320bhp and when one of my friends drove one, he couldn't even get the rear end to break loose. It has immense grip, but the handling needs work in order to be competitive with the SL while also being compliant. The car has serious build-quality problems, the seatbelt on the driver's side of the car that my friend drove was actually encased in one of the interior trim panels...if that isn't a build-quality issue, I don't know what is, and it wasn't even a pre-production prototype...

Mercedes may be getting some flak in the press for poorer build quality of late, but that has more to do with the materials they used than how they're screwed together, so I think that for your extra 10 grand you might as well get the SL, as it's a more well rounded, attractive, stylish (I think the XLR looks like a smushed CTS/Deville mix), and better-performing car.

IDK about your judgement there though, with the Measly 320HP the XLR is still faster than the SL500, and overpriced? the XLR costs a good 15Grand less than the base SL500 with a couple options, and this is a fully loaded XLR. It still needs work I mean when was the last time Caddy had a car this expensive, MB had 50 Years to get it just right, Caddy is just breaking into the market after 70 somewhat years of being absent in the upper luxury market, cut it some slack.
SilverPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote