View Single Post
Old 05-07-2004, 12:40 PM   #39
middleton7
Regular User

Originally Posted by AL123
Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by AL123
Wow that is the longest reply i've ever seen i think even longer than some of our reviews!! i read it all and some of what you have said seems very reasomnable. But you still haven't put your opinion about my main point: do you feel guilty about buying a body that is a copy of someone elses hard work, i would because i understand the amount of work that goes into the design process for even a simple product let alone a car. This is my main problem and is the main reason why i wouldn't even entertain/ buyng or making a replica car
Guilt?

Why - the designer has already been paid and rewarded - and does not receive royalties like an artist does.

What if you put a body-kit on your E46 - that "is a copy of the M3-GTR" - should you fgeel "guilty" for doing so? It is afterall a replica?

Guilt aside - it comes down to the essence of what is being built.

You can build a replica AC Cobra or GT40 and feel fulfilled - because the orginal cars, while unobtainable can still be faithfully represented in replica form - and deliver the same performance with ease.

Why?

Because aside from the original bodywork being aluminum, they were essentially designed and constructed much the same way you construct the replica - using the chassis, suspension and drive train components on hand...

A Diablo however, was never built using a "Ford V8" by the factory...
Perhaps guilt was the wrong word but i was really talking about some of the companies that basically rip off the design and don't do it justice, that is my problem with such kits/ bodyshells ( i hope this is more clear RC45 ) However i do agree that when originals are unobtainable then it may be more justified to build a replica. This has happened for some of the most obscure limited run minis mostly beilt by coach building companies like radford and some of them look fairly well made, that is more acceptable IMO as getting hold of a real one is extremly difficult. When built on a period shell with comptempary parts i consider it more of a tribute than a copy because it is done to the best of the owners ability in the same essence as the original design. Some owners of such minis will go to the extent of searching for a period engine and completely refurbishing it rather than putting a newer version of the A series engine like the one in my car which is actually from a metro!
Which is what most builders do. Build it to the best of their ability. I, on the other hand, plan to go above that and build near perfection. The engine from the Diablo is nearly unobtainable. And the maintainence costs. I'd rather go ahead with the engine that has readily available parts and great performance potential.
middleton7 is offline   Reply With Quote