View Single Post
Old 03-23-2004, 06:44 PM   #11
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by stradale
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Lamborghini just cant do motorsports :cry: When ever they try they fail. Back in Monza the RGT toped out at 280km something like 40km off on the big boys. The RGT is just to big, to bulky.
The size of the R-GT is no problem whatsoever. It's as big as the 575 you pictured. Lamborghini has no tradition in racing because Ferruccio Lamborghini always declined to go racing when he was in charge of the factory and with later owners there just weren't sufficient means to develop a serious contender. In recent years there was a Diablo cup and some privately run Diablo GTRs competing in GT races, but never something of the scale of the MurciƩlago R-GT project. The race at Monza was more a test than to be competitive. It was only a step in the development program. And now with the weight of Audi behind them, I think they can make this a success. I'm sure they'll overcome the 20 km/h speed difference they had at Monza.
I see what you are saying that this is a big project but those Diablos that raced in FIA GT were not succesfull in either GT or NGT...just like some attempts of racing 996 GT2s in the GT class.

I know I may not have lots of facts backing up my feelings about the RGT project,,,but I just have a gut feeling that it wont do good. I hope it will do good. I only see it succesfull if most of the parts in the car will be Audi. And I do see that, but thats not Lamborghini now is it?

And I know that the Monza race was a test. But Monza is the track that uses the least downforce of the season, and running basicly no downforce and being 40km off the opposition is kind of a problem even at the testing stage.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote