Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Car Chat (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   "Forbes" Ten cars with the best residual values (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27708)

Global Warming 07-22-2005 01:35 PM

"Forbes" Ten cars with the best residual values

And here they are!

• BMW 6 Series
• BMW 7 Series
• Honda Accord Hybrid
• Infiniti G35 coupe
• Lexus GX 470
• Mercedes-Benz SL500
• Mini Cooper
• Porsche 911
• Scion tC
• Toyota Prius

"NEW YORK - BMW badges should be gold-plated.

The luxurious, sporty German cars they adorn keep their value better than any other vehicles. In recently calculated data from car-pricing bible “Kelley Blue Book”, BMW was the only brand name with two entries — the 7 Series sedan and 6 Series two-door — on a list of the ten new cars that should best hold their value over a four-year period."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8645827/

Source: Forbes.com

5vz-fe 07-22-2005 01:37 PM

Re: "Forbes" Ten cars with the best residual value

Quote:

Originally Posted by Global Hemisphere
And here they are!

• BMW 6 Series
• BMW 7 Series
• Honda Accord Hybrid
• Infiniti G35 coupe
• Lexus GX 470
• Mercedes-Benz SL500
• Mini Cooper
• Porsche 911
• Scion tC
• Toyota Prius

"NEW YORK - BMW badges should be gold-plated.

The luxurious, sporty German cars they adorn keep their value better than any other vehicles. In recently calculated data from car-pricing bible “Kelley Blue Book”, BMW was the only brand name with two entries — the 7 Series sedan and 6 Series two-door — on a list of the ten new cars that should best hold their value over a four-year period."

Source: Forbes.com

Now where is the Toyota Corolla?? and btw, 7 series?? u gotta be kidding rite?

evoWalo 07-22-2005 01:40 PM

Residual value not what car's the greatest or what is the crappiest.

antonioledesma 07-22-2005 01:50 PM

:roll: what a bunch of crap... I bet that those cars will not have the best residual value in four years. Maybe in 2, but not 4, specially those mercs and bmw

the prius and accord hybrid will be waste once they come up with better engines and mpg

racer_f50 07-22-2005 01:53 PM

They forgot to mention the Enzo, which actually raised in value on the 2nd hand market by a few hundred thousand u.s.$

antonioledesma 07-22-2005 01:58 PM

just checking in that same page, the most unreliable luxury cars... and some of the list of this post are....
MB SL class, bmw 5 and 7 series. Bimmers with electric equipment. The mercs with quality in everything

ZfrkS62 07-22-2005 02:03 PM

If you saw how many people hang onto their 7's though you really wouldn't be surprised. I'm poised to trade straight across for an 88 750iL atm.

The E38's are even holding their value extremely well so i expect that the E65/66 will be doing pretty good as well. I haven't gone looking at them though because there is no way i would ever drive one..Unless i could get it in a 6spd......

antonioledesma 07-22-2005 02:07 PM

LOL!!! I knew you were going to post here to say something about your bimmers :lol: :mrgreen:

I know that ppl will always want a bmw, but IMO the info provided by forbes is not that accurate.
the best cars with the best resale value will be good, reliable, proven cars.

5vz-fe 07-22-2005 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
If you saw how many people hang onto their 7's though you really wouldn't be surprised. I'm poised to trade straight across for an 88 750iL atm.

The E38's are even holding their value extremely well so i expect that the E65/66 will be doing pretty good as well. I haven't gone looking at them though because there is no way i would ever drive one..Unless i could get it in a 6spd......

I understand the older the BMW, the better it holds its value, but during the first 4 years, a 7 series will lose ~50% of its value. Where as a Toyota Corolla or Carmy will only lose ~70%

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/detai...8&adid=4393357

ZfrkS62 07-22-2005 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonioledesma
LOL!!! I knew you were going to post here to say something about your bimmers :lol: :mrgreen:

I know that ppl will always want a bmw, but IMO the info provided by forbes is not that accurate.
the best cars with the best resale value will be good, reliable, proven cars.

Getting a bit predictable am i? :lol:

BMW has always had a great resale value though. But if you ask me, i think the E38 and E39 are going to hold up the longest with the E46 will be not far behind.

The M cars however.....well, just look at the price of an E30 M3 and that ought to be enough of a statement right there :wink:

5vz-fe 07-22-2005 02:15 PM

^^ No kidding....just like RC on a Vette related topic

Global Warming 07-22-2005 05:43 PM

Quote:

the prius and accord hybrid will be waste once they come up with better engines and mpg

Well on this point I think you are wrong just because there are so few used hybrids in the market place and the fact that new hybrids are still pretty expensive. Even when they do come out with better hybrids the old ones will be in VERY high demand for years to come. If I were a used car dealer I would look at any hybrids I could get my hands on as solid gold!!

Sir_GT 07-22-2005 05:56 PM

Is that for the US only though? Because here, the 7-series depreciates like mad. It's the 3-series, M cars, X trucks, and Z cars which hold their value over here. The "standard" saloons (MB C,E; BMW 5,7) all lose nearly 60% in their first 3 years.

Global Warming 07-22-2005 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
Is that for the US only though? Because here, the 7-series depreciates like mad. It's the 3-series, M cars, X trucks, and Z cars which hold their value over here. The "standard" saloons (MB C,E; BMW 5,7) all lose nearly 60% in their first 3 years.

Yeah I am sure this is USA only. And our Accord is not the same as your Accord. Your Accord is our Acura TSX. Our Accord is called the "Inspire" in Japan.

P.S. do you guys have a hybrid TSX (a.k.a. euro accord) over there?

I think you do have a diesel version of it though that we don’t have in our accord or TSX...

antonioledesma 07-22-2005 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Global Hemisphere
Quote:

Well on this point I think you are wrong just because there are so few used hybrids in the market place and the fact that new hybrids are still pretty expensive. Even when they do come out with better hybrids the old ones will be in VERY high demand for years to come. If I were a used car dealer I would look at any hybrids I could get my hands on as solid gold!!

NO NO no... I'm never wrong :P
well... of course right now hybrids are the hottest thing in the car industry. And if hybrids were sold here in mexico and I still were selling used cars, I would buy some. Of course this in other timeline, space-continium

I don't have a clue of the current value of an used hybrid. As I know they are pricy in the used market. But I would not bet that hybrids will retain their current value in the next 4-5 years.
Why? simply because they will cool off and start loosing their used value.
IMO