Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Car Chat (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   modifications made by chips (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14836)

challengestradale 08-20-2004 05:59 PM

modifications made by chips

hi there

im practically knew in this forum, im from mexico and hava an Audi A4 1.8L turbo of 170 hp

im interested on buying a chip that promise to take it from 170 to 225 hp

what are the modifications it does so it can increase the power of the car?

sameerrao 08-20-2004 06:57 PM

Welcome to JW!

The chip changes the engine mapping to give extra power and torque. However most of the power increase happens after ~3.4 to 4K rpms. So dont expect any low down power and torque increase. The increase is also due to increased turbo boost controlled by the chip.

Be aware that the chip increases your chance of a turbo failure due to the extra boost. This may be worsened if you live in hot climates where coolling issues might happen.

Note: Many Audi drivers have chipped their cars and not really had problems. So it is up to you...

Please post pics of your car in the "What you drive" section - there are quite a few Audi owners here - with TT, A4 1.8, S4s, RS2 (Brembo?) and an S2...

for more info regarding the various chips available pls check www.audiworld.com

challengestradale 08-20-2004 07:21 PM

thanks!!

i've always love cars but im starting at the engineering things.

other question

does the transmision has to be reforced or something? i've heard that the multitronic transmision isnt make for high torque or something like that

what do you think?

sameerrao 08-20-2004 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by challengestradale
thanks!!

i've always love cars but im starting at the engineering things.

other question

does the transmision has to be reforced or something? i've heard that the multitronic transmision isnt make for high torque or something like that

what do you think?

The answer is no for regular manuals not sure about multitronic (CVT) ....
pls check with audiworld

Sachmo12345 08-20-2004 07:48 PM

i cant believe it can make it from 170-225

sameerrao 08-20-2004 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sachmo12345
i cant believe it can make it from 170-225

That's just the beginning - upgrade the turbos and do the exhaust and downpipes you are looking at a lot more.

Adding hp is easy for Audis - here's how the increases are for an S4

Stock --> 250 hp/258 lb-ft (US model)
Stage 1 = Chip --> 310 hp/360 lb-ft --> cost $700
Stage 2 = Chip +exhaust --> 320 hp/370 lb-ft --> incremental $800
Stage 3 = Chip + exhaust + downpipes --> ~350 hp ---> incremental $800
Stage 4 = turbos from RS4 + fueling kit + stage 3 --> 400 hp+ --> incremental $6000

Note: teh above numbers are what I think going from memory --- may be a little different from actual but should be in the same ballpark...

FoxFour 08-29-2004 02:20 AM

Also, turbo engines like free flowing exhaust systems. A properly designed system can provide better spool up and a fatter torque curve. But still, check out the Audi sites for the most effective upgrades for these cars.