Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   The Cool Wall (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   McLaren F1 (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37384)

System 05-11-2006 05:14 AM

McLaren F1

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4...nf191kr.th.jpg

gucom 05-11-2006 05:19 AM

subzero, the best car ever made, period.

pitfield 05-11-2006 05:20 AM

The ultimate.

It would defintely thrash a Veyron around the TG track.

I reckon the Veyron will do a 1.30

gucom 05-11-2006 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitfield
It would defintely thrash a Veyron around the TG track.

I reckon the Veyron will do a 1.30

lol you've got to be kidding :D veryon is probably a faster car around any but the most twisty circuit...but stil its nowhere even close to the F1 8)

pitfield 05-11-2006 05:31 AM

So why no TG lap?

They let JC drive it from italy to London but not on the track. Because they know it can't win. Too much weight.

a fiver says it won't top the ZondaF

Erez 05-11-2006 09:16 AM

^ pff.. (and i also dont think that if one car is cool, 15 years later.. makes anther less cool..)

Subzero... no other car have\will age as good as the F1..

TT 05-11-2006 09:18 AM

Well, I know it should be subzero because it was a class leader basically forever, because it's quick it has the steering wheel in the center, three seats, golden plated engine bay and so on.. and yet, it doesn't really have "that" sparkle IMO, so I gave it jsut a cool

irrational_i 05-11-2006 09:22 AM

What a supercar should be - light, powerful, uncompromised, hard to handle without talent and not for pretenders.
Not quite an F40, but similar philosophy.

DeMoN 05-11-2006 10:05 AM

subzero, anycar that holds the world record for so long deserves it.

Not to mention the coolness of sitting in the middle.

sameerrao 05-11-2006 10:27 AM

Sub zero!

It was May 11, 1994 when I picked up the Autocar & Motor magazine which had the Macca on the cover. Prior to this I had seen spy shots of the car and wasn't really interested in it (I dont really care about spy shots in general).

It was 15 pages of fantastic writing that made me an instant fan of the car. It was a car that was very unlike anything else around at the time - painstakingly built to the unique vision of a brilliant designer (Gordon Murray) who had cut his teeth with building World championship winning F1 cars at Brabham and McLaren.

Seeing the Top Gear clip of Tiff driving the F1 was icing on the cake. I must have seen that clip at least 50 times. What a sound - the best sounding engine in the world - bar none.

It is the best car in the world to me. I am sure the F1 will be gracing the lawns of Pebble Beach 25 years from now.

Sub-zero.

RF1 05-11-2006 10:31 AM

sub zero!!

the best car ever made :D
wonderful
definitely fantastic...

fabro_s 05-11-2006 11:17 AM

Subbbbbbbbbbbb Zeroooooooooooo, a car that made me realize that supercars where getting to a new level when I was only a child....

LotusGT1 05-11-2006 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everso
way overrated. ugly, and bad handling.

if you buy an F1, they restrict your driving in YOUR car....that's how uncool this car is.

seriously uncool.

the Veyron is a better car, a faster car, and a far more interesting one. One of the F1s biggest fans is a man named Thomas Dscher, who owned an F1 and was involved with McLaren back in the day.....guess what he does now? he owns a Veyron and RUNS Bugatti.

That's great. It only took them 20 years, 600 kilograms extra and a quad-turbo V16 to get there. :roll:

Subzero for the F1 of course. King of 2 decades.

yg60m 05-11-2006 11:41 AM

Subzero, it makes me dream since 1992 when it was unveiled at Monaco :love:

TNT 05-11-2006 12:08 PM

when the avg. person thinks super car there are four that come in to mind. McLaren F1, Ferrari F40, Bugatti Veyron, and Lamborghini Diablo. And pretty much in that order. McLaren has and is still a benchmark. everyone compares to the F1 even if it the other car beats it. everything comes back to the F1. so dif. subzero

sentra_dude 05-11-2006 12:16 PM

Sub-zero 8) No question about it, the greatest car ever made.

A side note, didn't we already have a McLaren "cool-wall" topic...? Was that for the LM?

A cool topic on the F1, with Flemke providing some interesting information. :arrow: click

Quote:

if you buy an F1, they restrict your driving in YOUR car....that's how uncool this car is.

seriously uncool.

the Veyron is a better car, a faster car, and a far more interesting one. One of the F1s biggest fans is a man named Thomas Dscher, who owned an F1 and was involved with McLaren back in the day.....guess what he does now? he owns a Veyron and RUNS Bugatti.

:roll:

There you go again, on about how there's some plot to keep McLaren owners from driving their cars. Why and how would they do that? How is a company in England going to control how much millionaire & billionaire owners who live all over the world drive their own car?

Quote:

One of the F1s biggest fans is a man named Thomas Dscher, who owned an F1 and was involved with McLaren back in the day.....guess what he does now? he owns a Veyron and RUNS Bugatti.
What does that prove at all? By your logic, him being involved in McLaren would make him stupid/bad engineer/uninspered/moron which would mean if he ran Bugatti, Bugatti must suck just as much as McLaren does, right?

As a follow up to your claim that McLaren limits the amount of driving...didin't Dscher drive his McLaren to work daily, 200km each way? That doesn't sound like much limiting to me...

bmagni 05-11-2006 01:39 PM

why is everybody voting sub zero ??
this is the uncoolest car EVER !!!

TNT 05-11-2006 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmagni
why is everybody voting sub zero ??
this is the uncoolest car EVER !!!

:shocked!: :shocked!: :slap: WHAT!!!! ban him!!!

gucom 05-11-2006 03:18 PM

McLaren F1's actually have some of the highes mileages of any supercars out there, and having seen a vid of an F1 on the 'Ring i highly doubt McLaren would somehow keep owners from driving on circuits...

There's definitely been a F1 LM topic on the cool wall, no doubt about it.

and the sound of the car, as heard in the final seconds of that top gear episode which was already mentioned...AW MY GOD it gives me SUCH goosebumps, its incredible :D

nthfinity 05-11-2006 03:21 PM

what a piece of turd pile that happens to have a brilliant engine on board; pitty the chassis wasn't as good

seriously uncool :wink:

sentra_dude 05-11-2006 06:05 PM

^^^Are you ever going to back up your claim to McLaren limiting how much you can drive the F1?

nthfinity 05-11-2006 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmuller
Just now being topped after over 10 years, definitely sub-zero.

Also, what are these claims of your driving being limited by McLaren?

if by "being topped" you mean the 14+ year old Vector W8 going faster, and cornering better... and "cheaper" and more exclusive... well, the F1 was topped long ago.... in fact, it was only a "top price" ;)

Daggernite 05-11-2006 07:10 PM

The steering wheel is in the center of the car, it looks great, 242mph, gold engine bay.

Its subzero you silly naysayers :x

:P

bmagni 05-11-2006 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Quote:

if by "being topped" you mean the 14+ year old Vector W8 going faster, and cornering better... and "cheaper" and more exclusive... well, the F1 was topped long ago.... in fact, it was only a "top price" ;)

was there a run by the Vector where it reached more top speed ??

nthfinity 05-11-2006 08:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

^^Exactly, show me an officially clocked run and I'll shut up.

*Remember, OFFICIAL

I know the guy who officially ran it at Boneville to 242 mph. He is the same guy who owns the car thats currently in my sig.... and running at Boneville means you have official timing ;)

It was published long ago in one publication... but as the first costomers were taking deliveries, Insurance companies wouldn't insure them.

so Vector Aeromotive changed their "top speed" estimation to "200+"

the media took that as a sign that the W8 couldn't actually meet its goals.... which are completely untrue.

the car reaches a top speed of 242 mph @ 8200 rpm, rev limited... so Jerry's claim that the car could go 250 mph isn't so outlandish.

nthfinity 05-11-2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Still, what happened to the vectors? Would insurance companies also not cover mclarens, b/c being that my dad is an insurance agent and insures many high-end exotics(enzo, murcielagos, phantoms, but no mclarens however), I know thats not the issue...

what year did the Mclaren come out?
94? mabey 95?

when it came out, top speed was not its advertising slogan.

in fact, no F1 in "stock" form can go more then 231 mph, but 241 is possible if the rpm limiter is removed.

by the time the Macca was being called the fastest @ 231/241 mph; there were already a slew of other 200+ mph cars... but the Vector was the first street production car past 210 mph ;)

as to what happened to them, Tommy Lasurta (megatech) happened... and a hostile takover ensued; and Vector was no longer the guys who made it... of the original team, only a stylist remained... one stylest.

shop was moved to Florida, and Megatech also recently bought Lamborghini... so lambo chassis+ engines were re bodied... the engine was mounted 180 degress different, and a getrag 5 speed was used...

that was quoted as being "the worst car in the world" ;)
the W8 shared no components with the M12

bmagni 05-11-2006 09:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

^^Exactly, show me an officially clocked run and I'll shut up.

*Remember, OFFICIAL

lol, not really, I don't want an official run, I don't care... I just wanted to know if there was a recording of such speed, not like the CCR that took too long to record it, it was always pure estimated speeds...
Anyday i would take the Vector over the F1... the F1 sucks and is overrated...
as nth says, its a great engine in a crappy body...

and no one really cares about top speed, thats just for fanboys, specially mclaren ones :P

nthfinity 05-11-2006 09:58 PM

actually, i said "crappy chassis" ;)

you'd think that race engineers could've made a responsive chassis with no budget in mind....

the Vector's engineers even added torsion bars to make the engine's torque keep the car ground-bound.... and an incredibly responsive chassis... but somewhat numb steering.

bmagni 05-11-2006 10:27 PM

Quote:

^^"crappy body"-enough said. It takes more than just a spectacular engine to be a great car, or am I mistaken?

no, you're right, thats why the F1 is far from being an spectacular car... :mrgreen:

snacky 05-11-2006 10:32 PM

McLaren F1 = LeMan's winner
Veyron = ?

Erez 05-11-2006 10:51 PM

:fuck: F1 rules :fuck:

(and its not that i dont like the veyron.. because i do..)

sentra_dude 05-12-2006 05:07 PM

Quote:

The claim is complete bullshit. While many F1s do not see many miles, like any other super car, some have built up quite high mileage for a supercar, 20-30,000mi (and at least one with over 40,000mi I believe). Flemke (owner of the blue F1 with door mounted mirrors) even quoted that he drove his car 1,000mi/month for a while, and his car has around 32,000 or 33,000 miles.

Quote:

you'd think that race engineers could've made a responsive chassis with no budget in mind....

the Vector's engineers even added torsion bars to make the engine's torque keep the car ground-bound.... and an incredibly responsive chassis... but somewhat numb steering.

And a glorious 3 speed automatic...:lol: Or am I mistaken, is it 4 speeds?

nthfinity 05-12-2006 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentra_dude

Quote:

And a glorious 3 speed automatic...:lol: Or am I mistaken, is it 4 speeds?

you find me another supercar that will actually switch between pump gas, and racing gas, and have a transmission that can last a "lifetime" as the Vector is built to last the duration of the owners life ;)

oh, and on racing gas, the transmission is dealing with 1200 hp... how many clutches does an F1 eat? ;)

yg60m 05-13-2006 01:25 AM

That can be true but it's the same for an Enzo which "eats" clutch (I read that Nick Mason had to changes his Enzo clutch after 1500 miles ) and Lambos are also reported to be hard on them but it depends on the use you make of the car ... I don't see why it would be different for the F1 :wink:
All these arguments don't change my opinion on this car : I love it :P

sentra_dude 05-13-2006 02:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
Quote:

The claim is complete bullshit. While many F1s do not see many miles, like any other super car, some have built up quite high mileage for a supercar, 20-30,000mi (and at least one with over 40,000mi I believe). Flemke (owner of the blue F1 with door mounted mirrors) even quoted that he drove his car 1,000mi/month for a while, and his car has around 32,000 or 33,000 miles.

LOL.....my views were stated to you based around an owner i know of who has said that McLaren log his miles and tell him not to exceed a certain number of miles a year (a number i can't remember exactly, however it was between 5,000 and 10,000).

oh...and an F1 clutch lasts a nasty 4000 miles. highly unimpressive.

carry on then....

Well, why didn't you say it that way first...? To me that sounds a lot more like, McLaren likes to keep track of the mileage of the cars, and would like it if you didn't exceed a certain number of miles, especially since the car has several parts limited by mileage, such as drive-shafts and joints, and a fuel tank bladder which must be replaced periodically (5 years or so). I could be wrong, but I really doubt they concretely 'limit' the miles, it sounds to me more like a guideline of some sort. Sorry to be on the 'attack' in my earlier post, but we all have our cars we hold close... ;)

I'm not sure if you are aware, but the F1 uses a carbon clutch, which, if used properly will last much longer than 4,000miles, but if abused, yes it will be done in 4-5,000miles. It’s much the same situation with the CGT, or any other car (as if there are a multitude of them out there :lol:) using a carbon clutch. Nearly 500ft-lb trq with a lightweight clutch and disrespect for that clutch is going to lead to a short life. I don't see how that is 'highly unimpressive'?

In addition, this may just obfuscate matters more, but the 4,000 mile interval often quoted as the 'life' of the F1's clutch is actually when the carbon clutch plates need to be re-shimmed to close the gap which develops from wear. This is obviously an involved procedure and could for practical purposes be as involved as changing a clutch, but it is not actually changing the clutch, as it lasts through several re-shims. To further elaborate, one owner has gone 25,000 miles on one clutch, and yes he drives the car 'sportingly', and feels it will last at least 40,000miles.

nthfinity 05-13-2006 02:12 AM

^^^^^^^^
so.... with so many modern tech out there, and so many 500 hp+++ 500 ft. lbs. torque cars out there, couldn't mighty Mclaren use a new tech that will last longer? ;)

seriously, the F1 isn't the benchmark so many people claim it to be... the facts just don't support it.

every single thing that it is supposed to do better, I can think of another car that does it better... from the same era no less :P

i also seriously doubt some guy is driving truly "sportingly" if his clutch has lasted 25,000 miles.... even low-pow econoboxes driven sportingly wont have clutches that last anywhere near that ;)..... let alone a 600 hp V12

yg60m 05-13-2006 03:57 AM

Sorry nth but I don't see any Supercar of the same era or even after that weighted only 1130 kg with a 6 liter V12 (or even smaller engines) and some comfort items like heated front screen CD player, Air-cond. ... . The F50 was claimed at 1250 but was closer to 1350 and even the F40 was 1250 kg "heavy" (claimed 1100 kg ). The McLaren is a masterpiece and even you don't like it I think that you must be fair and admit it :wink:
For the roadholding, some great drivers (like Paul Frere) don't find it to be a nightmare :wink:

bmwmpower 05-13-2006 04:14 AM

Quote:

words from TT owner , he he
im not fan of Macca desing either, but i must say its engineer masterpiece,
so light,fast , definetly sub zero,

taygunho 05-13-2006 06:08 AM

McLaren F1 is very very fast car.I like this car but not because of its performance.Because of its design. This car is subzero for me.

sentra_dude 05-13-2006 10:00 AM

Quote:

^^^^^^^^
so.... with so many modern tech out there, and so many 500 hp+++ 500 ft. lbs. torque cars out there, couldn't mighty Mclaren use a new tech that will last longer? ;)

seriously, the F1 isn't the benchmark so many people claim it to be... the facts just don't support it.

every single thing that it is supposed to do better, I can think of another car that does it better... from the same era no less :P

i also seriously doubt some guy is driving truly "sportingly" if his clutch has lasted 25,000 miles.... even low-pow econoboxes driven sportingly wont have clutches that last anywhere near that ;)..... let alone a 600 hp V12

Huh? You're reaching a bit Nth... The CGT is 10 years newer or so, and it has the same problem as the F1 in terms of the clutch. If you want to have a very small and low interia clutch, you can't make it as strong as a truck's clutch.

Well, name another car from the early 1990s that has the same amazing throttle response of the F1, while at the same time having a 6L motor. Maybe there are cars out there with 500 trq from 1994 with a clutch that last longer...but its not a carbon clutch, and I can promise you it won't rev the way an F1 does.

Quote:

Uhh, by sportingly I don't mean drop clutch starts and drag racing, which yes, would cut through any clutch quickly. No offense, but if you are going through an econobox's clutch in under 25,000 miles just because you are driving "sportingly", you don't really know how to drive a manual... ;)

nthfinity 05-13-2006 10:25 AM

the CGT's clutch is wholey, and completely different

and dropping from 8000 isn't the same as normal first and second gear starts (not launches)

the CGT is altogether another animal....

lets mention what the F1 does... it is the lightest for its time, and it accellerates the best to 60 mph for its time... i'm not so sure about 0-100mph...

its built using some uber exotic materials, and processes.

it isn't the fastest, and it isn't the best handling; or greatest feel in handing. It isn't the only 3 seat hypercar; 3 seat was an option in the Vector well before the F1 came out ;)

It wasn't the most powerful car in its day... i'm unsure about braking... but i would think it would do well concidering its weight.... i seem to recall it having the 0-100-0 record... but how many other early 90's supercars were put through that test in similar conditions, and identical pavement?

heck, if pavement is smooth enough... the SRT-10 manages a 107 ft. braking distance from 60 mph...

was the F1 a good car? definately.

Was it the best, definately not.

why is it uber gay? Because people think its the best, when many owners think otherwise. (granted, they still like the car, and such)

sentra_dude 05-14-2006 02:22 AM

Quote:

the CGT's clutch is wholey, and completely different

and dropping from 8000 isn't the same as normal first and second gear starts (not launches)

the CGT is altogether another animal....

The CGT has a carbon-ceramic clutch vs. the carbon-carbon clutch of the F1. Both, if abused will wear down very quickly.

We started on this because:
Quote:

so.... with so many modern tech out there, and so many 500 hp+++ 500 ft. lbs. torque cars out there, couldn't mighty Mclaren use a new tech that will last longer?
I'm saying that the CGT has a similar situation, of a small, low interia clutch, and it is the 'newer tech' of carbon-ceramic, but it still has basically the same properties as the F1's clutch, 10 years later. If you abuse it, it won't last.

CGT's have been known to 'eat' clutches at the hands of abusive drivers as well, does that make it "highly unimpressive" as well?

Quote:

lets mention what the F1 does... it is the lightest for its time, and it accellerates the best to 60 mph for its time... i'm not so sure about 0-100mph...

its built using some uber exotic materials, and processes.

it isn't the fastest, and it isn't the best handling; or greatest feel in handing. It isn't the only 3 seat hypercar; 3 seat was an option in the Vector well before the F1 came out ;)

It wasn't the most powerful car in its day... i'm unsure about braking... but i would think it would do well concidering its weight.... i seem to recall it having the 0-100-0 record... but how many other early 90's supercars were put through that test in similar conditions, and identical pavement?

heck, if pavement is smooth enough... the SRT-10 manages a 107 ft. braking distance from 60 mph...

was the F1 a good car? definately.

Was it the best, definately not.

why is it uber gay? Because people think its the best, when many owners think otherwise. (granted, they still like the car, and such)
Speaking of best handling, where does that Vector thing in your sig get its 1.25 lateral G number from? Is that through a high speed corner, or is that on an actual skip-pad? Or was that number achieved using slicks?

3 seat option in the Vector, any pictures? Is that like, a bench seat in the front, a la Crown Vic? ;)

yg60m 05-14-2006 03:30 AM

3 seat was indeed an option in the Vector but I've never seen a pic with this configuration (maybe it was never retained).

TT 05-14-2006 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yg60m
3 seat was indeed an option in the Vector but I've never seen a pic with this configuration (maybe it was never retained).

Considering they sold like 1 or 2 cars, even if it was in the option list, there aren't many chances for somebody to have selected it :D

gangajas 05-14-2006 04:16 AM

Seriously uncool. I'm tired of reading Gordon Murray's articles where he writes that the Macca is the best car ever and nothing can touch it. And he talks about the F1 everytime he writes an article.

yg60m 05-14-2006 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gangajas
Seriously uncool. I'm tired of reading Gordon Murray's articles where he writes that the Macca is the best car ever and nothing can touch it. And he talks about the F1 everytime he writes an article.

Despite being a fan of the Macca I am quite agree with you, I suppose it's normal that he compares every car with his baby but it becomes boring and he's not really objective (but he's not the only one :wink: )

DeMoN 05-14-2006 11:29 AM

there are several F1 haterz I see... prolly bugatti fanboys.

yg60m 05-14-2006 11:44 AM

lol, I love all the cars :wink:

nthfinity 05-14-2006 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TT
Quote:

Considering they sold like 1 or 2 cars, even if it was in the option list, there aren't many chances for somebody to have selected it :D

sold 17 cars before Megatech's hostile takeover ;)

I think won of the Yammato cars had the 3 seat option, and no, it wasn't a bench. ;)
Quote:

Speaking of best handling, where does that Vector thing in your sig get its 1.25 lateral G number from? Is that through a high speed corner, or is that on an actual skip-pad? Or was that number achieved using slicks?
1.25 was either in Road and Track, or Motor Trend... i can't remember which one right now... with the Michellin Sport XGT Plus tires (aka stock) in a skidpad test.

sentra_dude 05-14-2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TT
Quote:

sold 17 cars before Megatech's hostile takeover ;)

I think won of the Yammato cars had the 3 seat option, and no, it wasn't a bench. ;)
Quote:

1.25 was either in Road and Track, or Motor Trend... i can't remember which one right now... with the Michellin Sport XGT Plus tires (aka stock) in a skidpad test.

No pictures of the three seat layout? How about a diagram or something? I'm interested how they worked that out, it doesn't seem like they could use the same set up as the F1. Just from Nth's pictures that car appears to be very wide, maybe 80 inches, so I guess 3 people side by side? That reminds me of an Apollo capsule... ;)

Do you have that skip-pad article, maybe you could scan it if you do have it? I'm sure more people than just me are interested in how a car got 1.25 G on a skid-pad...

Also, bringing up the mileage limit debate again, if the owner of the F1 lives in the USA, and the car is not one of the 6 or so converted to confirm to US regulations, it is under a DOT "Show or Display" limit of 2500 miles a year. There is no limit imposed by the factory, although it might be easy to mix up the DOT limit with a factory limit.