Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   American Cars Pictures and Videos (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Black Vette on dyno (video) (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20746)

TT 12-30-2004 02:19 PM

Black Vette on dyno (video)

I don't think it was already posted:

http://www.horsepowerengineering.com/media/MOV01369.MPG

pretty wicked near the end :D

RC45 12-30-2004 02:31 PM

:)

exhausted mules 12-30-2004 02:56 PM

whoooooooooolly FUCK! that sounds sick.

it does sound like he gets a little hickup when he floors it though.

RC45 12-30-2004 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exhausted mules
whoooooooooolly FUCK! that sounds sick.

it does sound like he gets a little hickup when he floors it though.

hickup?

thats what a mean and nasty V8 sounds (and if you have the volume up) feels like.

exhausted mules 12-30-2004 03:24 PM

no no. it sounds like there's a delay from when the engine gets its air to when the rev's start mounting. sorta like his engine to powerfull for the tranny and there's a bit of "backlash". i dont really know how to explain it.

i think you know what i mean though. a bit of give of the tranny and such would do this.

i think.

RC45 12-30-2004 03:32 PM

Not at all.

Such dyno runs are done in 4th gear.. so all the driver/tester is doing is driving up through the gears... letting the dyno settle on the correct spark/timing signal for the RPM counter, sitting at low rpms and then he hits the gas - in 4th gear to do a dyno pull.

Quite normal engine behaviour - and not an indicaiton of a "lose driveline" taking up slack or anything.. afterall - its not like a chain driven motorcycle where the actual components do "take up slack" when you wick the throttle..

exhausted mules 12-30-2004 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC45

its not like a chain driven motorcycle where the actual components do "take up slack" when you wick the throttle..

funny you should mention that because that's what i was thinking about when i heard his engine.

i inderstand how to dyno a car. how and why its done a certain way. most cars that were done and modified heavily from stock do this. its just inherent in the design that some parts where just not up to what the modified specs are.

that and what you stated. i dont know if you ever done your bike up a bit but changing something in the engine, ESPECIALY the freggin cams... you can never have it smooth throughout the entire rpm range.

TT 12-30-2004 04:58 PM

For the records, that car should push 350 hp "only" afaik

RC45 12-30-2004 05:00 PM

Doesnt matter - there is no "slack" in a geared system.. at least not the types of "sloppyness" you are trying to explain away.

Any engine with a 6600 - 7000rpm redline will at first slowly build revs from very low rpm when you open the throttle.

I completely disagree with your analysis.. ;)

It is not mechanical at all - but simply a natural stumble of the fuel/air delivery and hence power output at that point in time.

The kind of mechanical slop you are talking about does not exist except in a setup that has just been broken. :)

exhausted mules 12-30-2004 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC45

It is not mechanical at all - but simply a natural stumble of the fuel/air delivery and hence power output at that point in time.

The kind of mechanical slop you are talking about does not exist except in a setup that has just been broken. :)

yeah that's probably what it is.

there allways is however some slack in any driveline. even in a top of the line driveline such as f1. tolerances may be tight... but they're still a degree of play there.

but still. its not was i was trying to explain. its not the drive line, it does sound like a "burp" in the air fuel mixture. and i doubt this car has enough power to twist the frame and bolts enough to cause a kick back hard enough to make the engine hickup like this.

actually if you drove an pre '91 standard chevy s10 you'd know what i'm talking about.

RC45 12-30-2004 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TT
For the records, that car should push 350 hp "only" afaik

350ish is stock rwhp... tuned correctly with a bumpy cam like that, an intake and a set of headers, such a car would easily put 390 - 430rwhp down.

sentra_dude 12-30-2004 08:11 PM

Damn...lol that was cool. 8) I like that heeeavy cam!

jereomen 02-03-2005 12:37 PM

This car is making 562 rwhp and 507rwtq. The little sputter is just the nature of a very large cam, they are not the most streetable cams.

Mopsdrops 02-03-2005 12:51 PM

wow that was sick, such a very nice sound and much power :D nice vid, thx.

findleybeast 02-03-2005 03:32 PM

Damn that thing is intense. Such a lumpy idle though... I def wouldn't like that.