Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Top Gear Discussion (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Jeremy Clarkson can't drive! (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44371)

nthfinity 01-08-2007 07:28 PM

Jeremy Clarkson can't drive!

So in my talks with Kip Ewing (SVT Engineer, designer), I found out that all external shots of the Ford GT when it was at the TG test track driving were with a Ford factory driver driving, not Jeremy Clarkson... all internal shots were post production to make it look like he was the driver.

Go figure, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case with most of the cars he drives ;)

graywolf624 01-08-2007 07:32 PM

I doubt it.. He readily admits he isn't a good driver. IT prolly had something to do with liability.

ARMAN 01-08-2007 07:33 PM

He sell nice looking vids and shows with perfectly sliding cars so no wonder its not him ho stunt-drive them :wink: .... and he sells those shows pretty well :D

TopGearNL 01-08-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graywolf624
I doubt it.. He readily admits he isn't a good driver. IT prolly had something to do with liability.

Yep true!

He does admit he's a bad driver. And there are loads of shots and prove that proves that he does most if not everything himself. F430 Review :roll:

saadie 01-08-2007 10:46 PM

soo thats how different american cars are from cars from the rest of the world :P .. interesting :? ..

nthfinity 01-08-2007 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saadie
soo thats how different american cars are from cars from the rest of the world :P .. interesting :? ..

was your account hijacked by a007apl? I have no idea what you just said.

saadie 01-08-2007 11:53 PM

bahh .. i think a007apl has just as much sleep as me .. :? ...

anyways .. im not surprised by this news atall .... he cant drive sideways with his spine .. now can he :wink: ? ...

sameerrao 01-09-2007 11:04 AM

Of course he can drive. :roll: See the older TG shows where he is clearly shown driving. The newer shows have a lot more swoopy camera angles that makes it difficult to see who is driving.

Maybe for some of the smoky stunts they employ a testdriver to get the best results.

I would say that he drives better than 99% of the average drivers you encounter on the road.

TopGearNL 01-09-2007 11:41 AM

Quote:

Of course he can drive. Rolling Eyes See the older TG shows where he is clearly shown driving. The newer shows have a lot more swoopy camera angles that makes it difficult to see who is driving.
Exactly what I was on about, someone remember the 360CS vs Gt3 clip or F430 Coupe vs F430 Spider, clearly visible that JC is driving :roll:

RC45 01-09-2007 11:47 AM

I dont think he is that good of a driver - I would hazard a guess most weekend and track day club drivers would lap JC in a couple of minutes.

I hate to say it guys, but I think he is all wind and no sail ;)

dm_h_2007 01-09-2007 05:54 PM

But no one can drive in front of burning gasoline with huge plums of fire and smoke better than JC!! The way he kept the car right in line with the cheesy effects for the camera man, that’s what racing is all about! :roll:

HeilSvenska 01-09-2007 06:07 PM

Re: Jeremy Clarkson can't drive!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthfinity
So in my talks with Kip Ewing (SVT Engineer, designer), I found out that all external shots of the Ford GT when it was at the TG test track driving were with a Ford factory driver driving, not Jeremy Clarkson... all internal shots were post production to make it look like he was the driver.

Go figure, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case with most of the cars he drives ;)

Well, it's not just because he's a bad driver. They reshoot a lot of stuff postproduction because they want kind of shots that they couldn't shoot with JC. Like all the epic races. They were real races, but they couldn't possibly shoot that much footage on one day with JC driving and the camera crew following. So what they do is have a driver, apparently the Stig, retrace the route and shoot what they want to have later. It'd sound bad to lots of Top Gear fans, but given the production value of Top Gear, they can't possibly pull off what they have without postproduction reshoots.

dm_h_2007 01-09-2007 06:23 PM

I think they need to have Clarkson, Hammond, and May all 3 do a hot lap in the reasonable priced car. That would be tits!! Let’s see which of them is the best driver.

McLaren4eVa 01-09-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC45
I dont think he is that good of a driver - I would hazard a guess most weekend and track day club drivers would lap JC in a couple of minutes.

I hate to say it guys, but I think he is all wind and no sail ;)

Let's face it JC is a bad driver but that's not his selling point, his personality and his humour towards the car industry is what makes him so appealing from a presenters point of.

Top Gear is Top Gear because of him whereas tiff doesn't even host fifth gear anymore its done by that stupid tim lovehate i mean lovejoy fella.

graywolf624 01-09-2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Everybody knows he's no racecardriver, but I think he can outdrive most of us.
From what I've seen.. no. He isn't my grandmom but I wouldn't even say his driving is on the level of most casual open trackers. He makes no pretentions that he is to his credit. That being said watching his technique makes things quite obvious.