Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Motorsport News And Discussion (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Fellipe Massa bizzare accident in F1 qualifing (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61308)

turpija 07-25-2009 11:09 AM

Fellipe Massa bizzare accident in F1 qualifing

http://www.f1racing.com.hr/images/st...sa_mtv_fin.jpg

apperently a spring fell off from rubens car infront and it keept bouncing on track until massa came along and hit it

video:

scary stuff
:crying:

HeilSvenska 07-25-2009 12:19 PM

Ouch. Tough luck.

Mattk 07-25-2009 12:40 PM

Ouch! That's a hard hit! News is that he's escaped with minor injuries, but won't race.

turpija 07-25-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattk (Post 869040)
Ouch! That's a hard hit! News is that he's escaped with minor injuries, but won't race.

news has been updated
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...25181522.shtml

Evo 07-25-2009 04:51 PM

2 very close incidents in about 1 weeks apart.

Maybe they should start thinking of a closed cockpit....

5vz-fe 07-25-2009 05:17 PM

Wasn't there a GP2 driver killed by a flying wheel last weekend?

Thank god for modern racing helmets. Hope he will recover quickly.

borhanfarrokh 07-25-2009 05:53 PM

hello.my friends .please tell me in which channel can i watch F1 live in france?thanks a lot

Evo 07-25-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe (Post 869051)
Wasn't there a GP2 driver killed by a flying wheel last weekend?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe (Post 869051)

Thank god for modern racing helmets. Hope he will recover quickly.

Yep in F2.

Modern racing helmets are good but sometimes when luck is not with you it becomes sad in the Henry Surtees F2 driver case. .

I am really glad that Massa survived it. He had a major surgery on his head and was successful.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77288

MidEngine4Life 07-25-2009 10:38 PM

I was watching that live at work. What are the odds eh? Crazy

HeilSvenska 07-26-2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evo (Post 869057)
Modern racing helmets are good but sometimes when luck is not with you

Yeah. Well, helmets are good, but not good enough to protect you from the sheer mass and the rolling momentum of a tyre or the hardness of a racing car spring. You really can't do much about those other than prevention.

5vz-fe 07-26-2009 05:46 PM

The spring is almost 1 kg....and at 180mph.......that's quite a bit of momentum. Altho, there should be an emergency braking switch available so that the team can stop the car remotely if necessary.

mts6800 07-27-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe (Post 869075)
... Altho, there should be an emergency braking switch available so that the team can stop the car remotely if necessary.

How on earth could such a system help at all. By the time the team realizes there is a problem it's over.

I do think something should be done but am not in favor of cockpit canopies that some have suggested. There are brilliant engineers in the sport and they need to collectively study possible solutions.

Personally I think the loose tyre issue, one resulted in Henry Surtees death a week ago, may have a reasonable solution. Smaller objects like the spring I think more problematic. The spring should have never come off the car. The failure of it must be understood and means taken to ensure it's not possible during normal operation of a racing car.

limin 07-27-2009 11:25 PM

the spring falling off the brawn is a freak accident, and it is a freak accident for it to have hit felipe in the face. i'm sure there are those that beg to differ, but i believe accidents such as with surtees and massa are so rare and unpredictable that to try to protect against them would be impossible. hopefully felipe makes a full recovery and continues to race, he's a undeniable talent and a wonderful person to have in the series

RC45 07-28-2009 01:35 AM

Shit happens. These guys sign up for the tour of duty and collect big money - nothing to see here, lets move on ;)

zeus_2011 07-28-2009 04:38 AM

His eye seems to be damaged....hopefully his career won't come to an end due to this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/8169915.stm

Mattk 07-28-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Personally I think the loose tyre issue, one resulted in Henry Surtees death a week ago, may have a reasonable solution.
From memory, Formula One wheels are harnessed onto some part of the frame to prevent them from falling off and hurting people. You'd pretty much have to slice through the whole assembly to get it airborne.

As for Massa's replacement, Michael Schumacher's spokesman has indicated that if asked, Schumacher would be willing to return to Formula One.

zeus_2011 07-29-2009 12:31 AM

Is there a link Mattk regarding Schumi^^^seems a bit pointless as theres so much talent around F1 it looks more like a publicity stunt.

corvettekid 07-29-2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC45 (Post 869123)
Shit happens. These guys sign up for the tour of duty and collect big money - nothing to see here, lets move on ;)

^
^
douche bag above

RC45 07-29-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corvettekid (Post 869165)
^
^
douche bag above

no - reality check.

Shit happens... these guys are PAID specifically for rhe risks involved.

Nithing to see here - mover along - so the guy hit a piece of debris and had an accident in motor racing - BFD... its motor racing and shit happens.

Thats te risk, and they are paid for it.

BTW, it is unhealthy for a grown man to worship another grown man, even if they are a "sports hero" - these guys as all pro-drivers are, are PAID for the risks, they know this and accept the risks.

:)

nthfinity 07-29-2009 10:36 AM

These guys truly have nothing on the pioneering racers of the teens, 20's, 30's, and 40's. Back then, it was one of the most dangerous careers in the world. There were only a handful of them, and they all knew each other well. As RC says, it has always been a part of the job to accept the risks involved. The difference is today these guys are grossly overpaid; and don't know the first thing about loss.

RC45 07-29-2009 11:06 AM

I recall seeing a picture of a Harley Davidson (I believe) board racer that was skewered by a 6ft splinter.

Now those where dangerous times - leather skull cap, goggle, jacket and pants - no body armour and cars/bikes with little to no safety gear - adn I think they thought brakes where for pussies in those days.

HeilSvenska 07-29-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC45 (Post 869166)
no - reality check.

Shit happens... these guys are PAID specifically for rhe risks involved.

its motor racing and shit happens.

Thats te risk, and they are paid for it.

these guys as all pro-drivers are, are PAID for the risks, they know this and accept the risks.

:)

Truth.

zeus_2011 07-29-2009 01:36 PM

OK, these guys are paid to put themselves in danger and I'm sure they know the risks all too well every time they strap themselves in.....but this was a very shitty way to end your career.....not during the race while fighting with someone wheel to wheel, not because you made a big mistake and flopped it big time...but to be hit by a part that came off the car in front during qualifying is just plain shitty and a surefire way to make sure that no one will ever remember Massa in 10-15 yrs time.

HeilSvenska 07-29-2009 01:54 PM

No doubt. It's tragic.

turpija 07-29-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC45 (Post 869166)
... these guys are PAID specifically for rhe risks involved...:)

nope, they are specifically paid for skill/talent

RC45 07-29-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turpija (Post 869185)

Actually they are paid specifically for their marketing cache and potential advertising revenue. They are just whores to the advertising industry ;)

Skill has little to do with pay level. And teams need the ad-revenues to float their budgets.

How many times has a "big name" been signed vs the "talented guy" ;)

nthfinity 07-29-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeus_2011 (Post 869179)
OK, these guys are paid to put themselves in danger and I'm sure they know the risks all too well every time they strap themselves in.....but this was a very shitty way to end your career.....not during the race while fighting with someone wheel to wheel, not because you made a big mistake and flopped it big time...but to be hit by a part that came off the car in front during qualifying is just plain shitty and a surefire way to make sure that no one will ever remember Massa in 10-15 yrs time.

Are you suggesting that nobody ever suffered a mechanical failure; or were crashed into? Motorsport puts the cars, drivers, and everything else through the worst imaginable conditions... just for a lap time. People have died in racing for years. Is it a bad way to end a career? Sure. Shit happens in the world. As to nobody remembering Massa? Nonsense; and otherwise, so what?
Quote:

Overpaid.

turpija 07-29-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC45 (Post 869186)
Actually they are paid specifically for their marketing cache and potential advertising revenue. They are just whores to the advertising industry ;)

Skill has little to do with pay level. And teams need the ad-revenues to float their budgets.

How many times has a "big name" been signed vs the "talented guy" ;)

you got confused now, skill got them to motorsport as a result of their skill sponsors starts to "support" them and push them to biggest market (f1 for example) step by step and along the road fans starts to follow them and more and more sponsors wants to jump on the wagon and driver get more money as a result, risk is in "job description" but it's not the main thing as you pointed out earlier. And yes skill has something to do with it becouse untalented drivers don't last long and sponsors usually don't find them profitable.

big name drivers are also very short lived in F1, Piquet Jr. for example got in to renault becouse he was "good" in lower ranked formulas but mostly becouse his daddy pulled some connections, guess what, he is pretty terrible, guess what else, his is about to get fired.

@nthfinity
I agree they are overpaid, but every top athlete, driver, ...(or whatever) is, how much money does Tiger Woods get for "just playing golf"?

Mattk 07-30-2009 03:15 AM

Remember Minardi? Drivers had to pay to drive with them. The top bidders drove. Why anybody would pay to drive for that rubbish team is beyond me.

turpija 07-30-2009 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattk (Post 869229)
Remember Minardi? Drivers had to pay to drive with them. The top bidders drove. Why anybody would pay to drive for that rubbish team is beyond me.

well they payed for chance to drive F1 car and show what they can do, and maybe if they were good enough they would be spotted by some better team.

Alonso started his F1 career in minardi, and quickly progressed to one of the best f1 drivers;-)

mts6800 07-31-2009 02:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by turpija (Post 869233)
well they payed for chance to drive F1 car and show what they can do, and maybe if they were good enough they would be spotted by some better team.

Alonso started his F1 career in minardi, and quickly progressed to one of the best f1 drivers;-)

And lets not forget that Eddie Jordan was paid $150,000 to let Michael Schumacher drive at Spa in MS first F1 race.

As the say, the rest is history

Mattk 07-31-2009 04:15 AM

I can't think of too many Minardi drivers who later became successful. Alonso stands out as a dual champion. Webber has been very good this year. But no-one else springs to mind.

turpija 07-31-2009 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattk (Post 869267)
I can't think of too many Minardi drivers who later became successful. Alonso stands out as a dual champion. Webber has been very good this year. But no-one else springs to mind.

yea it doesn't happen very often, but as I said they are simply paying for that chance.

nthfinity 08-22-2009 11:24 AM

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/170820...er-return.html

http://row.bc.yahoo.com/b?P=oyVHf9kM...B%3d-1%2fV%3d0
Rate it!

Felipe Massa, the Formula One racer recovering after a July crash, is looking to compete in Brazil's Grand Prix in October if he gets a medical all-clear.
http://d.yimg.com/i//ng/sp/eurosport...4440db767d.jpg

Massa targets October return

Felipe Massa, the Formula One racer recovering after a July crash, is looking to compete in Brazil's Grand Prix in October if he gets a medical all-clear.
FORMULA 1 Felipe Massa - 0
More Stories

The 28-year-old Brazilian said: "I'm not afraid of getting back on the accelerator, I will return to racing."

He admitted though, that despite not feeling any pain, he could still not remember his accident and added: "I still don't feel 100 per cent" right now.

The comments, made during a news conference Sunday, reinforced Massa's stated desire to return to the racetrack following his horrific accident in Budapest while qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix on July 25.

He suffered severe head injuries when he was struck at around 250 kph by a spring that flew off compatriot Rubens Barrichello's Brawn car.

Massa underwent surgery on his fractured skull in Hungary and on August 5 was flown to Brasil for convalescence.

In last year's Brazilian GP, Massa finished first but saw the world title go to Britain's Lewis Hamilton in the last lap.
AFP

nthfinity 07-26-2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macrylinda1 (Post 875575)
the spring falling off the brawn is a freak accident, and it is a freak accident for it to have hit felipe in the face. i'm sure there are those that beg to differ, but i believe accidents such as with surtees and massa are so rare and unpredictable that to try to protect against them would be impossible. hopefully felipe makes a full recovery and continues to race, he's a undeniable talent and a wonderful person to have in the series

Normally I'd ban you with your silly email/signature, and replying to an old topic. However, you actually wrote a cohesive response to an eleven month old thread. FYI, Massa has made a full recovery, and is still racing alongside Fernando Alonso @ Ferrari this year.