Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Magazine Scans (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Autocar - BMW Alpina B7 vs Merc S65AMG (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22325)

1zippo1 02-12-2005 08:00 AM

Autocar - BMW Alpina B7 vs Merc S65AMG

Since there were multiple requests I scanned the article. There are a couple more coming. The quality is far from what TT or Noosee post but it's certainly readable. The images are a bit weird because I have an old scanner. I tried multiple setting but this gave the best result.

http://img208.exs.cx/img208/7664/aut...cs65amg.th.jpg http://img208.exs.cx/img208/7220/aut...s65amg2.th.jpg

http://img208.exs.cx/img208/3172/aut...s65amg1.th.jpg http://img208.exs.cx/img208/3297/aut...s65amg3.th.jpg

Ghostbat 02-12-2005 08:33 AM

0-60mph in 5,4 sec for the S65 sounds very strange to me. Mercedes own spec of the S65 is 0-62mph (1-100km/h) in 4.4sec and when tested by swedish AMS the S65 did 0-100km/h in 4.28sec and in 4.9sec with five persons in the car.

Edit: I see now that it was tested in the wet. Still can't believe that they chose the Aplina over the S65. Kinda pointless to test a 612bhp beast in the wet but I guess it's raining almost all the time in England :wink:

mindgam3 02-12-2005 08:59 AM

Kinda pointless having a 612hp beast that you can't put the power down in whether wet or dry :P

bmwmpower 02-12-2005 09:04 AM

? that S cost 142 000, B7 cos only half, this is so brutal,
yes is fast, but thats mega price,
thanks for scan

Ghostbat 02-12-2005 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindgam3
Kinda pointless having a 612hp beast that you can't put the power down in whether wet or dry :P

IMO 0-100km/h in 4.3sec is "putting the power down".

mindgam3 02-12-2005 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostbat
Quote:

For a 612bhp car? Not really.... maybe for motorway crusing and overtaking all the torque and power is handy, but for a sportscar, its near useless, and as EVO states... the SL55 AMG is definately the better car to go for. Especially 0-60 is only 4.7 for the 55 and is £50,000 cheaper, £50,000 more for unusable power is stupid in my view and anyone who buys one has not got any sense. Even more so when you consider the alternatives.... ferrari 575, AM vanquish, AM DB9 + track car, SL55 AMG + track car... ferrari 430 + track car... there's so many better options i really don't see the point of it to be honest

philios55 02-12-2005 10:49 AM

Re: Autocar - BMW Alpina B7 vs Merc S65AMG

First of all a big thanks to 1zippo1 for this great scans which i requested many times. Now for this comparisons i know BMW 7 series is good car especially with alpina modifications but there is no way to take this BMW over the awesome and still the king of the class the Mercedes S65.

bmwmpower 02-12-2005 11:21 AM

Re: Autocar - BMW Alpina B7 vs Merc S65AMG

Quote:

Originally Posted by philios55
First of all a big thanks to 1zippo1 for this great scans which i requested many times. Now for this comparisons i know BMW 7 series is good car especially with alpina modifications but there is no way to take this BMW over the awesome and still the king of the class the Mercedes S65.

S class is expensive, you can have 2 B7 for one S,
and imagine if will alpina built car in S65 AMG price, how great it will be

Ghostbat 02-12-2005 11:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

For a 612bhp car? Not really.... maybe for motorway crusing and overtaking all the torque and power is handy, but for a sportscar, its near useless, and as EVO states... the SL55 AMG is definately the better car to go for. Especially 0-60 is only 4.7 for the 55 and is £50,000 cheaper, £50,000 more for unusable power is stupid in my view and anyone who buys one has not got any sense. Even more so when you consider the alternatives.... ferrari 575, AM vanquish, AM DB9 + track car, SL55 AMG + track car... ferrari 430 + track car... there's so many better options i really don't see the point of it to be honest

You crack me up dude. What you pretty much say is that the S65 isn't a fast car. Are you serious when you say that i.e the ferrari 430 and AM DB9 are alternatives to the S65? The point of this car is to be the fastest luxury saloon, the end! And guess what, it is. And forget about the money issue when you talk about this car. it's not meant to be a common car on the street.

Edit: maybe you confused it with the SL65?

mindgam3 02-12-2005 11:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You crack me up dude. What you pretty much say is that the S65 isn't a fast car. Are you serious when you say that i.e the ferrari 430 and AM DB9 are alternatives to the S65? The point of this car is to be the fastest luxury saloon, the end! And guess what, it is. And forget about the money issue when you talk about this car. it's not meant to be a common car on the street.

shit :roll: lol, yes i did confuse it with the SL65, didnt read the subject properly... but still, it is £140k, and I don't see the point on spending that much on what is basically an S class with more power and twice the price tag..... very nearly as pointless as the SL65 but not quite ;)

Ghostbat 02-12-2005 12:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All supercars are pretty pointless in transportation terms but atleast in the S-Class you can bring 4 friends/bizzos wiith you 8)

shit :roll: lol, yes i did confuse it with the SL65, didnt read the subject properly... but still, it is £140k, and I don't see the point on spending that much on what is basically an S class with more power and twice the price tag..... very nearly as pointless as the SL65 but not quite ;)

All supercars are pretty pointless in terms of transportation but atleast you can bring 4 friends/bizzos with you in the S-Class 8)

If you don't like "pointless" cars one might wonder what you are doing in this forum :wink:

astonmartinandy 02-13-2005 07:34 AM

Nice scan but highlights once more that there isn't really a "need" for this much power in an S-Class.

Not to say that I don't want this much power though..

Given the money to spend on a big Mercedes, I would have to agree with JC and pick up an SL55 instead

Just_me 02-14-2005 06:13 AM

what about a n Apina B7 and new M5 for the price of one S65 :D

caneswell 02-14-2005 02:16 PM

As pirelli often say. Power is nothing without control, which is what the majority of these massive power mercs are lacking. Would always prefer a less powerfull car that doesn't have to rely on electronics to stay on the road, or to stop it breaking its own gearbox!

mindgam3 02-15-2005 09:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All supercars are pretty pointless in transportation terms but atleast in the S-Class you can bring 4 friends/bizzos wiith you 8)

All supercars are pretty pointless in terms of transportation but atleast you can bring 4 friends/bizzos with you in the S-Class 8)

If you don't like "pointless" cars one might wonder what you are doing in this forum :wink:

But why would anyone want a £140k S class? :S

If your spending that much on a 4 seater, get something like a bentley or something with a lot more class....

Or if you want something with the same sort of style, get an RS6+ and put a few mods on it for about £70k - half the price.... and you can get a lot more in an estate :P

If you want something powerful and sporty, get something like a DB9 or 575....

There's no point having that much power in something that is that heavy for that price :P