Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Music And Noise (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Hip-Hop fans on JW - Where my boys at? (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43163)

acmarttin 11-22-2006 02:08 AM

Hip-Hop fans on JW - Where my boys at?

I need something new to bump out my stereo while I'm cruisin through the traffic jams every morning on the way to work so I wanted to see what kind of hip-hop or rap albums other JW members are listening to right now.

I've been listening to Deltron 3030, Madvillain, J Dilla, Blackalicious. And more mainstream I listen to a lot of Jay-Z of course. Bought Kingdom Come today and am sorta liking it, sorta wishing S. Carter didn't sound so lazy on it.

So if you guys exist. Please post :)

Mattk 11-22-2006 02:42 AM

I like old-school rap music, like MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice... The new stuff is not to my liking.

novass 11-22-2006 04:02 AM

I grew up on hip/hop and punk, which, I know, is an odd combo. Now I listen to everything; Soul/Funk, Reggae, Rock, Classical, etc Pretty much everything but country though I do listen to some Merle Haggard, Willie, Cash.

Anyway, back on topic. Some of what ive been listening too lately:

Gang Starr (always good)
Jurassic 5
Immortal Technique
Method Man & Redman - Blackout (found it the other day in a drawer, forgot how much I liked it)
Lupe Fiasco - a little (gotta represent a skater)
Tricky - some of his stuff is good, I dont like all of it
Wu Tang - 36 Chambers is a classic
Kool G Rap and DJ Polo - Old school - I love old school rap since thats what I grew up on

I guess the more mainstream stuff would be like a little bit of Common, Kanye West

Ill think of more and post later

novass 11-22-2006 04:05 AM

Since this is the most hip/hop orientated topic so far, I may as well ask this here. :lol:

What does everyone think of Lady Sovereign? The music I dont like so much, granted, I havent heard it all so thats not really fair. But in some wierd way, I think shes kinda hot, wish she would dress more like a girl and not a dude though. :lol: Maybe I can file this under the TMI section.

Mattk 11-22-2006 06:12 AM

I wouldn't call Mattafix purely hip-hop. It's probably closer to reggae, like, say, Shaggy. I liked their song "Big City Life", though.

Back in the 90s, I remember these guys called Kris Kross who wore their clothes backwards.

TopGearNL 11-22-2006 07:39 AM

Ummm None, I hate hiphop :mrgreen:

ARMAN 11-22-2006 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattk
Back in the 90s, I remember these guys called Kris Kross who wore their clothes backwards.

KrissKross were awsome sadly the only good song was "Jump" :? still have the video :P

blinkmeat 11-22-2006 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattk
I like old-school rap music, like MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice... The new stuff is not to my liking.

word to your mother, I like naughty by nature, kottonmouth kings, dr. dre, and public enemey

666fast 11-22-2006 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novass
What does everyone think of Lady Sovereign?

Listen to her CD, you'll be surprised. A real fat guy I work with let me borrow the CD and I was pleasently surprised. She's actuall pretty damn good and very funny.
Also, I find her strangely attractive as well. Kind of like punk rock chicks with all their tats, something just makes me say, that looks like it would be lots of fun. heh
As you said, Gangstarr is always very good.

I've been listening to lots of Atmosphere, Sage Francis and Eyedea&Abilities lately. If you don't have one of their albums, you aren't a true hiphop fan.

I actually went to see Eyedea just the other day (In like the past 3 months, I think I've seen him at least 10 times) He's playing with an actual band now, it's pretty kickass. Imagine The Roots if they were a bit more wierd.
The allum is already out, if you can find it: It's called Face Candy
http://www.rhymesayers.com/releases.php#rId_84

Danger Doom and Blackalicious are both awesome as well. Their albums are must haves IMO.

Quote:

the pharcyde
Werd. I've been a huge Pharcyde fan for a damn long time. "we went to the drive in and your moms didn't have to pay, cause we dressed her up to look just like a chevrolet" haha never gets old

If you haven't heard it, Fatlips solo album is great. I find that a lot of people don't even know that it exists.

TeflonTron 11-22-2006 09:45 PM

Hmm. I prefer slightly more off the wall HipHop, so I'd recommend, in no particular order:

Dr Dooom
Dr Octagonn
Kool Keith
Slick Rick
GraveDiggaz
M.O.P
Luniz
Brotha Lynch Hung
Dead Prez
Dungeon Family
Goodie Mobb
Slimm Calhoun
Society Of Soul
Jeru The Damaja
Ultramagnetic MC's
Azad (German)
Seeed (German)
KRS One

Man, I could name bands/artists that I love all day long. The irony is that I'm mainly a Rock/Metal guy, but I have almost 1000 Albums in my music collection.

SFDMALEX 11-22-2006 10:08 PM

Just old school stuff.

Like Wu-Tang, Beasties, A Tribe Called Quest...

None of that new shite.

Mattk 11-22-2006 10:28 PM

Quote:

sadly the only good song was "Jump"
Yeah, I heard they're planning a comeback. But the novelty will probably have worn off... :?

The new rap music is just crap. All they talk about is screwing hoes and accumulating money. Even Eminem had half-decent lyrics in a few songs, but most rap music today is shit.

acmarttin 11-27-2006 02:39 AM

Nice - I was on hiatus for a while for St. Thanksgiving day and decided to not touch a computer. I'm going to check out a few of these artists I haven't heard of and hopefully will have something new in my stereo.

A friend of mine gave me some J Dilla albums over the long weekend, and they're very tasty.