Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   American Cars (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Lincoln Town Car chassis (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44299)

gangajas 01-05-2007 06:02 AM

Lincoln Town Car chassis

I've have read that the Lincoln Town Car has an almost 30 years old chassis ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Panther_platform).

How can this car compete with its rivals from Cadillac and the best European and Japanese brands?

ferrari550 01-05-2007 11:23 AM

it is quite simple, it doesn't

TopGearNL 01-05-2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferrari550

LMAO!

Can't think of a better answer!

RC45 01-05-2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Quote:

LMAO!

Except that this chassi has outsold every other luxury full size sedan on the planet combined.

Having owned 4 cars based off the full size platform, 1 pre-dating the current gen (1973 Ford LTD) and having covered many 10's of thousands of miles in them, they are by far the most comfortable long distance cruisers ever built - bar none.

This how and why ;)

ae86_16v 01-05-2007 02:43 PM

Re: Lincoln Town Car chassis

Quote:

Originally Posted by gangajas
I've have read that the Lincoln Town Car has an almost 30 years old chassis ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Panther_platform).

How can this car compete with its rivals from Cadillac and the best European and Japanese brands?

My dad used to have one back in the mid 90s. As RC stated, it is definitely one of the most comfortable cars I have drove/rode in. Amazingly comfortable as I recalled.

But yes, it did drive like a boat. :)

Plus, I think they look good today, having consistently updating them, I think they look very "executive". If I remember, they have a HUGE backing from the rental and leasing fleets too.

graywolf624 01-05-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Just beacause you call it luxury doesnt make it so....
No its luxury.. Its just luxury for those that prefer to be driven.

TopGearNL 01-05-2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brembo
Quote:

Originally Posted by RC45
Quote:

Quote:

LMAO!

Except that this chassi has outsold every other luxury full size sedan on the planet combined.

Having owned 4 cars based off the full size platform, 1 pre-dating the current gen (1973 Ford LTD) and having covered many 10's of thousands of miles in them, they are by far the most comfortable long distance cruisers ever built - bar none.

This how and why ;)

Just beacause you call it luxury doesnt make it so.... :wink:

I think RC mend that it had won on the Comfortable bit, not the luxurious part... :wink:

RC45 01-05-2007 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brembo
Quote:

Originally Posted by graywolf624
Quote:

You guys mix up comfy and luxury.....dont come and tell me that wood imitation and cheap plastic are luxury....
I do not deny its comfy to ride in, if youre not prone to become seasick that is...... :wink:

See - this is proof you are talking crap.

The Lincoln TownCar is actually more luxurious than any BMW or Benz .. way more wood and leather - BMW and Benz is about "Coffee Shop" style, TownCar is about comfort and luxury.

RC45 01-05-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graywolf624
Quote:

This is 100% correct... it is one of the most comfortable and luxurious car to be driven around in this side of the top limo edition of the big Benz.

Uhm - there is a reason it is the #1 choice in the world for Limousines.

They make so many of these Town Cars it would make your eyes water - 125,000 cars a year... I think Mercedes sells a total of about 200,000 cars a year..

666fast 01-05-2007 07:41 PM

I agree on the comfort bit. There is acres of space inside of them, plus the super comfy seats.

RC45 01-05-2007 08:22 PM

Yes - the rear seat legroom is Maybach sized.. ;) for what 1/500th of the price? :P

TopGearNL 01-05-2007 08:45 PM

Quote:

Yes - the rear seat legroom is Maybach sized.. ;) for what 1/500th of the price? :P

Thats very true!

But theres another competitor for it in Europe, Citroen C6 :)

RC45 01-05-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thats very true!

Is it a 4.6l V8, that can float at 100mph through the countryside eating up the miles like a great ocean liner? ;)

TopGearNL 01-05-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thats very true!

Is it a 4.6l V8, that can float at 100mph through the countryside eating up the miles like a great ocean liner? ;)

Nope you can choose either a V6 3.0i Petrolen or a 2.7 HDiF V6 Diesel and it will also eat up the miles like a great ocean liner, only more comfortable thanks to hydropneumatic suspension :)

http://www.citroen.com/CWW/en-US/RAN...rs/C6/default/

RC45 01-05-2007 09:22 PM

I thought we were talking large sedans..

Quote:

DIMENSIONS, CAPACITY AND WEIGHT
Town Car Signature L
Length (mm) 5,624
Width (mm) 1,986
Height (mm) 1,491
Wheelbase (mm) 3,142
Curbweight (kg) 2,049
Trunk Size (L) 595
Not mid size family cars... ;) :P

Quote:

Body style Saloon