Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Saw an interesting NSX at the car wash today (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56967)

Spiffu 06-11-2008 08:46 PM

Saw an interesting NSX at the car wash today

I was pulling into the car wash today to get my GT waxed, and I saw a black NSX already in progress of doing the same thing.

After setting up my car for it's treatment I walked over to check out the car, at first glance it looked stock, then I noticed it had race class wheels on it; super lite weights. A guy that works there who wrangles the cars said "you should see under the hood, it's crazy."

He popped the hood and there was a gigantic custom fabricated intake manifold with 4 inch piping coming out of it. The biggest surprise of all was that the stock V6 was gone and an inline 4 of some type was in its place. Many other race class looking pieces of engine work adorned the engine bay.

The car wash guy also told me to look underneath, I found two turbos attached to the exhaust pipes.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet the owner, but I was told the car makes over 450hp and that it's a "lambo killer" I don't know they meant countach or gallardo.

In any case, that's the first engine swapped NSX I've ever seen, especially to a smaller engine.

thiago 06-11-2008 08:53 PM

Pretty weird that swap from a bigger to a smaller engine you'd think... I don't really know much about that though to make any important comments. ;-)

It would be nice if you managed to get that guy to sing up in our website so he could upload some pics from that car. :-) I'm sure you'll get another opportunity in the future.

Nice story!

HeilSvenska 06-11-2008 09:02 PM

Usually, we have a rule against posting a "what you saw today" thread without pictures to confirm it. But the story sounds too strange not to be true.

Better make sure to take pics next time. I'm sure a guy who flaunts a modded NSX won't mind. ;-)

thiago 06-11-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska (Post 835477)
Usually, we have a rule against posting a "what you saw today" thread without pictures to confirm it. But the story sounds too strange not to be true.

Better make sure to take pics next time. I'm sure a guy who flaunts a modded NSX won't mind. ;-)

I love the way you put it: "But the story sounds too strange not to be true."

How about camera phones? Every cell phone has a camera now! :mrgreen:

Spiffu 06-11-2008 09:18 PM

I know I know, my cell phone doesn't have a proper picture transfer function though. But this was the only section to really talk about this.

HeilSvenska 06-11-2008 09:18 PM

Camera phones are good. But I don't have a camera on mine! :D

Take a picture of the picture you took on the cell phone? I'm sure you can find a way. ;-)

thiago 06-11-2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska (Post 835482)
Camera phones are good. But I don't have a camera on mine! :D

Take a picture of the picture you took on the cell phone? I'm sure you can find a way. ;-)

Hahaha! yeah, usually you can upload them or send as an email. But it may require a data plan or a small fee or something. Most phones nowadays have at least a 1.3megapixel built-in camera and all of them with data capability. :-)

kennyken 06-18-2008 06:01 PM

i must see this nsx i am going to travel around the world till i find it :thumbup: goodbye all. Seriously though seem's odd to ditch the V6 maybe it was to try and make the car as light as possible who knows.

nthfinity 06-18-2008 11:09 PM

general chat w/out pictures. No big deal :)

A few years ago, I saw an odd NSX myself... full June JDM based NSX TT... that wasn't securely fastened in the shipping container, and had a damaged front and rear end (think of the tilting and tottering car in the container in the Pacific.

Car looked good.... but I never had any photos... went home to grab the camera, and the car was gone when I got back.

torrentjunkie 06-18-2008 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiffu (Post 835470)

I was told the car makes over 450hp and that it's a "lambo killer" I don't know they meant countach or gallardo.

oh i'm sure its gallardo at least lol:-)

wonder which 4cyl engine that is, maybe he took the V6 out to save weight or something...could it be an SR20 with twin turbos? if it is i can only imagine what it sounds like *drool*

79TA 06-19-2008 03:43 AM

He did it for the vtec! I'm guessing it was partly motivated by weight savings. Interesting sighting.

Vansquish 06-19-2008 10:17 AM

^^ But the NSX's V6 engine is a VTEC unit as well if memory serves...

79TA 06-19-2008 09:30 PM

Yea, it does. I was just playing off of how it's more recognized on the Civic 4 cylinders.

Would an NSX of that year have the titanium connecting rods and all that fancy stuff? (yet no baffles in the oil pan! way to go honda . . . ) I wonder what became of the original engine.

Pokiou 06-22-2008 11:51 AM

i think the engine in that car might a h22a with a twin turbo setup... or a K20... either way ... turbo plus a 10k rev limit lol here comes powerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

someguy509 07-02-2008 01:13 AM

The engine swap could have been the result of a classing thing, that is it if it actually gets raced. Reminds me of the whole BMW inline six in a MINI thing...