Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   MotorWorld Car Reviews (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   C5 Z06 vs C6 Z06... and the winner is... (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47281)

nthfinity 04-22-2007 11:00 PM

C5 Z06 vs C6 Z06... and the winner is...

C6 Z06 by a mile!

(price point not included)

Drove both today, among many other things with a "few" friends...

99% of you just have no clue what 460 RWHP feels like, and 435 RWTq... bone stock.

It is simply other worldly... out of the realm of possibilities, and requiring a few cards short of a full deck...

Insert explatives here

and again here

and here as well

WTF, it's still pulling!

Grip? yeah, more then you have balls, unless your lead foot is stuck on loud. Tire scorching on throttle conditions in 1-4th gears.... WTF

Lateral grip? it will sort you out, because its just that good.

Harsh ride? NO, in fact, it is roughly equivilent to a 2005 NSX, and wayyyyy softer then a STi/ Evo etc.

Those guys on TV just have no idea what they are talking about, Seriously

Remember those explatives i shouted a few moments ago? I forgot to mention, that was me ripping through the gears, or any gear. This car pulls in 6th like a Audi A4 does in 2nd at below 2000 rpm

this car is just other worldly

The inerior?

On par with european standards in cars like VW/ based audi's/ based BMW's

The C5 isn't on par with modern versions of those cars mentioned... go figure.

more to come, including photos/video

5vz-fe 04-22-2007 11:07 PM

Sounded like someone had some fun today. Did you do it at the track nth?

nthfinity 04-22-2007 11:13 PM

no, but a well devised 87 mile test route

dingo 05-03-2007 08:14 PM

460rwhp?? Don't they make 505hp at the fly? So only 45hp lost through the drivetrain?

I've seen the Z06 here and I don't think the interior is close to that of a BMW or Audi!

No doubting its pace though, definately a beast and relative bargain.

nthfinity 05-03-2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingo
460rwhp?? Don't they make 505hp at the fly? So only 45hp lost through the drivetrain?

I've seen the Z06 here and I don't think the interior is close to that of a BMW or Audi!

fully based interiors, it aint far off. In anycase, it is light years beyond the C5 Z06's interior.

And, this car is bone stock, and was dyno'd at 459 WRHP @ 66 F

other magazines have done dyon tests where the car is making an estimated 525-530 SAE HP.

It doesn't feel slower then the ford GT

ViperASR 05-03-2007 09:07 PM

Awesome!

I have immense respect for the C6 Z06, and would love to get a ride in one! Sounds like someone had the time of their lives!

obdr 05-03-2007 10:01 PM

I dont think it IS slower than a Ford GT......at least around a twistie track.

In any case the Ford GT and C6 Z06 should post similar numbers. I've seen the Gt come out on top at some tracks and the Z06 at others but the one thing each race had in common: Very little seperated the two cars.

Put that into perspective and the Z06 is just that much more amazing.

Then again, I saw a Ford Gt at VIR the other weekend.......parked near it was a C6 Z06..........and the Ford GT completely stole all the thunder. That thing is just beautiful in the metal. Its SOOOOO low to the ground, the wheels fill the arches perfectly and the curves are simply stunning. The z06 is nice too....but rather plain in the company of a GT.

nthfinity 05-03-2007 10:09 PM

^^^^^
we agree 100% here ;)

RC45 05-03-2007 10:17 PM

Uhm - this is a little lop sided "test".

The new car is 100hp more powerful than the old car - so of course it is 100hp faster as well.

C5 Z06 405bhp (365rwhp) - 3100lb - $50,000 - Interior design and materials circa 1995/6
C6 Z06 505bhp (460rwhp) - 3100lb - $75,000 - Interior design and materials circa 2003/4

Quote:

This is correct.

Quote:

We saw your photos of the car at the race track - so I have to ask you, when you looked at the car and mentally compared it to BMW's, Audi's, Yugo's and Holden's did you then turn to the owner and say "Fuck your car looks like shit compared to these other cars"...

Or did you look and hear and see and think to yourself "Holy Mother of God" as it blasted past on yet another lap.

I think we know the answer to that one.

Quote:

Isn't that the point once the cars arrive at the race track though?

Doesnt a track day sort of filter out all the magazine and bench racing bullshit and the cars begin to stand on their own merits - and the interior means diddly squat.

obdr 05-04-2007 01:39 AM

Yeah but RC45.....the Corvette isnt JUST a track car. It was designed to be a daily driver so interior quality actually is a valid concern of any buyer, even the people who take theirs to the track on weekends. If your going to be spending alot of time somewhere it should be as nice as possible. If asthetics were pointless nobody would live in a house with a view. But the REALITY is that people care about it. They want to see shapes pleasing to the eye and feel materials pleasing to the touch...both on the inside and outside. The z06 simply cant compare, interior wise, to the likes of Audi and Mercedes in those two points.

You shouldnt attack people for saying so either. There is no need to defend the Z06. It doesnt need your help at all. It can take care of itself :) Just let people have their opinions man. Its pointless to try and correct peoples subjective views about cars. Everyone has their own tastes.......its what makes the world interesting. Try correcting people on facts more often then on subjective views of style and such........you will waste less time that way.

RC45 05-04-2007 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obdr
Yeah but RC45.....the Corvette isnt JUST a track car. It was designed to be a daily driver so interior quality actually is a valid concern of any buyer, even the people who take theirs to the track on weekends. If your going to be spending alot of time somewhere it should be as nice as possible. If asthetics were pointless nobody would live in a house with a view. But the REALITY is that people care about it. They want to see shapes pleasing to the eye and feel materials pleasing to the touch...both on the inside and outside. The z06 simply cant compare, interior wise, to the likes of Audi and Mercedes in those two points.

And again that is PURE subjectivity.

As they sold EVERY Corvette made since 1997 - complete with the same interior - so apparently 240,000 people do not agree with your assessment.

More than 30,000 buyers per year do not agree with your assessment - so why the insistance on being right with regard to a purely subjective assessment?

Quote:

You shouldnt attack people for saying so either.

Nobody was being attacked - but again I ask how you react around C5 and C6 Corvette owners when you see the car in person?

Do you walk around saying out loud "Man this shit sucks compared to BMW and Audi"? I am guessing you don't - because YOU would be the one who cares not the 30,000 other people who buy them.

See thats the real point.

Quote:

There is no need to defend the Z06. It doesnt need your help at all. It can take care of itself :)

There was no defense at all. It doesn't need any defense - again a quarter million C5's sold proves that fact.

Quote:

Just let people have their opinions man. Its pointless to try and correct peoples subjective views about cars.

Yet again with the liberal style statements - just because the anti-Corvette viewer has an opinion I should all of a sudden NOT have one?

Why is it only acceptable for the counter point to have a say?

Quote:

Everyone has their own tastes.......its what makes the world interesting. Try correcting people on facts more often then on subjective views of style and such........you will waste less time that way.

There is no need to correct people on their subjective opinion, and I never have - however I have often corrected you and others who make opinionated "statements of fact" based on untruths - and will continue to do so - again thats the difference.

79TA 05-04-2007 02:16 AM

C5 Z06 = great car

C6 Z06 = amazing car

I'm jealous, I want to drive one too . . . :cry: :)

Erez 05-04-2007 05:32 AM

RC makes some great points, and if you ask me, if chevy will keep going on the road that its on.. the C7 will be a world wide hit, and they could more then double they're selling figures.. :good:

dingo 05-04-2007 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC45

Quote:

This is correct.

Quote:

We saw your photos of the car at the race track - so I have to ask you, when you looked at the car and mentally compared it to BMW's, Audi's, Yugo's and Holden's did you then turn to the owner and say "Fuck your car looks like shit compared to these other cars"...

Or did you look and hear and see and think to yourself "Holy Mother of God" as it blasted past on yet another lap.

Quote:

Doesnt a track day sort of filter out all the magazine and bench racing bullshit and the cars begin to stand on their own merits - and the interior means diddly squat.

Don't get so defensive mate, I wasn't having a go at the car.

The interior comment was in response to Nth saying it rivals a BMW or Audi which I think we all agree isn't true - whether or not that matters wasn't the point. ;)

I bought an Evo - not for the interior either but for the performance so you don't need to preach to me.

RC45 05-04-2007 10:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC45

Quote:

This is correct.

Quote:

Quote:

Don't get so defensive mate, I wasn't having a go at the car.

I wasn't being defensive - I was simply asking the obvious quesiton - and that is as critical as every one is (even me - whom is critical of the "overweight fat Lambo Murci") when we see the car in the flesh, we don't run up to the owner and say "Whoa - that Lambo sure is fat and unwieldy" - instead we are struck by what the car is - not what it isn't. :)

Quote:

The interior comment was in response to Nth saying it rivals a BMW or Audi which I think we all agree isn't true - whether or not that matters wasn't the point. ;)

But not everyone agrees - and the C6 does rival BMW and Audis interior.
:)

Quote:

[
I bought an Evo - not for the interior either but for the performance so you don't need to preach to me.

Which makes me wonder why do people insist on cross class/model comparisons anyway.

:)