Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Porsche (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   993 VS. M3 (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12902)

blinkmeat 07-13-2004 05:42 PM

993 VS. M3

What would you buy and why?

sameerrao 07-13-2004 05:48 PM

993 - a real drivers car.

The M3 must be certainly be fun car but for the most part - city driving, driving at 7/10ths, etc - it is not that much more different than a 330ci.

The 993 at any speeds must be a treat under any circumstances (except perhaps in a 5 mile traffic jam).

fabro_s 07-13-2004 06:57 PM

A porsche, definitely, cant compare a BMW with a Porshce, I know that the M3 is a great car, but common, a 993 is very sexy!!

N.J. 07-14-2004 09:21 AM

I wouldn't knock either of them back, that's for sure :wink:

I love the -current- BMW M3 (great value! - In Australia M3=140K -vs- 911=180k) - but very simply, I'm a 911 man...993 thanks :D

p.s

I've got an article somewhere on the previous M3 -vs- the (993) 911.

Just for the record, the journo chose the M3 as he liked the fact is was a 'street-sleeper' or in other words - a 'wolf in sheeps clothing'.

lakatu 07-14-2004 11:02 AM

I could be wrong but I think this post may belong under the relatively newly created Q&A Porsche Discussion section. As a result, I am afraid all of the responding posts will soon be eliminated but I think from at least a performance comparison it depends on which M3 you are referring to.

If you are referring to the E36 that was produced at the same time as the 993, then the 993 has better performance. For anyone interested there is a magazine scan that tests these two cars along with others by Car & Driver at http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12004

If you are referring to the current E46 then the I believe that the performance is basically the same.

The thing I like I like about the M3 is the practicality of a sedan combined with the performance of a sports car. It is like two cars in one.

cooperluke 07-14-2004 11:25 AM

WELL... I like the M3 very much... but I am a Porsche fan, and a nine eleven is always a nine eleven!!! Specialy the turbo!

Tomerville 07-14-2004 11:31 AM

in driving, there is little difference between a 993 and 996...and who would take an M3 a 996? My point, get a 993...plus, it will be worth a great deal since it wa the last of the air cooled models. Just watch out on hot days...the engine temp. gauge WILL rise!

mindgam3 07-14-2004 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sameerrao
993 - a real drivers car.

The M3 must be certainly be fun car but for the most part - city driving, driving at 7/10ths, etc - it is not that much more different than a 330ci.

The 993 at any speeds must be a treat under any circumstances (except perhaps in a 5 mile traffic jam).

I dont understand how you think the M3 is for city dricing etc. The M3 is one of the most commonest track day cars you see... why? Because its a fantastic car, has a real screamer of a straight six and its handling is awesome.

As to the original post if your're comparing the E36 with the 993 id have to say 993, but if your thinking of the E46 over the 993 id go with that. You get just as much fun and performance, but with the practicality of a saloon. Tough decision though

Maybe you should've posted this in the car chat forum as some views may be slightly biased ;)

sameerrao 07-14-2004 11:45 AM

Quote:

I dont understand how you think the M3 is for city dricing etc. The M3 is one of the most commonest track day cars you see... why? Because its a fantastic car, has a real screamer of a straight six and its handling is awesome.
I am refering to the sense of occasion here. I also the M3 is a great car but from inside it looks a normal saloon. Its only when you pushing that you realize that Wow this is nice.

5vz-fe 07-14-2004 01:18 PM

993 for sure......it's my favourite 911 body after all. Adding to the scale of course is the fabulous air-cooled Horizontal 6.......

blinkmeat 07-15-2004 04:48 PM

I am referrin to the E46 and I wanted to hear a little bit more of a biased approach to the 993 Carrera because I like it so much which is why I didn't post in the Car Chat Forum... what a difficult choice though, I hate that. If I had to decide today I'd go with the 911 myself but the M3 is oh so tempting. In the end It'd be so hard to choose.

Vansquish 07-15-2004 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowboarderTom
in driving, there is little difference between a 993 and 996...and who would take an M3 a 996? My point, get a 993...plus, it will be worth a great deal since it wa the last of the air cooled models. Just watch out on hot days...the engine temp. gauge WILL rise!

What makes you say that, I've driven and been driven in both at one point or another and found them to be pretty different experiences. The 993 was by far a more "special" feeling vehicle and felt the nimbler of the two as well. Looks far better too hehe.

bmagni 07-15-2004 10:43 PM

id go with the M3 i think its a great car, if it was 1 996 id keep the porsche...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sameerrao

WTF ?? bet the 330ci and the M3 theres a lot of difference !!! and the m3 doesnt look like a saloon in the inside !! man ur totally wrong...

Chingachgook 07-16-2004 07:45 AM

I like both. The 993 is a great driver's car, more than the M3.
But I think it's more difficoult to drive if you are not used to the rear mounted engine.
The M3 is more all around car, with a great engine(but be careful, it has problems that can be DANGEROUS, look here http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/63711 and here http://members.roadfly.com/jason/m3engines.htm

BTW, if the problem is fixed by the dealer, it's a great car, only the brakes are not so strong after hard use.
But remember, you can become a drift expert :wink:

PS: If you have the SMGII gearbox, and use it a lot in the fastest setting, you gearbo and differential will break very very soon :cry:

st-anger 07-16-2004 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakatu
I could be wrong but I think this post may belong under the relatively newly created Q&A Porsche Discussion section. As a result, I am afraid all of the responding posts will soon be eliminated but I think from at least a performance comparison it depends on which M3 you are referring to.

so true... :!:

plz guys read the rules, you know, i won´t delete this topic now, because there are so many replies now, maybe some time later it´ll be moved into Q&A after i´ve asked the posted...
i´d have moved it earlier, but my JW time these days is about zero because of my work, so plz guys help me out a bit and post in the right section....thanks :wink: