Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Pics of Jabbasworld on the PS3 @ 1080p (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44134)

RC45 12-28-2006 01:01 AM

Pics of Jabbasworld on the PS3 @ 1080p

Well, due to some really fortunate circumstances I had $700.00 to piss away.. so I emptied my bladder on a PS3.

Needless to say, the first thing we did was download GTHD.

Yeah, yeah, yeah - great visuals... but I tried so hard to like the "game" itself.... sadly it is a pre-pre-pre-pre-beta piece of junk.

Looks stunning, sounds mediocre and controls are worse than a 10 year old keyboard game.

No

Force Feed Back

Support

For

DFP

or

G25

Yes... you read that correctly...

The wheel feels like a suped up powersteering from a Camry... you spend the first 30 minutes over correcting... till eventually you master the 'control" of the steering wheel and the "game" gets ok.

PD should not have released this pre-beta without FFB support.

If its an option to enable it, I could not find it.

The PS3 sees the DFP and the G25 and do the whole spinning an calibration thing... right up until you click the Checkered Flag to start the round.. and then the wheel goes as limp as a deflated penis...

Again - the visuals are stunning - but what a dissapointment for "game" itself... I mean even just "feedback" to stiffen up the wheel would be nice.

Of course if put the 599 in Veyron mode with all aids turned on and change from simulaiotn to amatuer steering you can drive like Schumi... well the game drives you and all do you is stab the gas as if you were driving a Veyron... :P ;)

Anway - off to play Need For Speed Carbon on the PS3... its more fun ;) :P

p.s. I am ranked 424th in the world with the Lancer Evo IX GSR ;)

Max Power 12-28-2006 01:15 AM

i can't beleive u bought a ps3 :shock:

RC45 12-28-2006 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Power
i can't beleive u bought a ps3 :shock:

It just sorta happened.. ;)

Everyone keeps sayign they are in short supply, so I was at Fry's buying some other crap and as I walked past the guy in the Console seciton I casually said "I know you don't have any and must get asked like 100 times a day how much the PS3's are..."

He says "Actually no-one asks cause they think we dont have any - we have 25 in stock and 25 coming next week... what you want? a $499.99 20GB verison or the $599.99 60GB one?"

I ended up with the $499.99 20GB version a component cable and couple of games.. ;)

Oh an GTHD is not that bad, its just the lack of stiffness / feel in the wheel really dissapoints... so I hope they have a patch at least for that bit.

If you look past the sucky controls, the so-so sound, the single track and 20 cars (10 stock and 10 tuned) its about as good as GT3 ;) :P - but wuth really good graphics hehe

dutchmasterflex 12-28-2006 02:10 AM

Not suprised..

Hopefully the lack of development in GTHD gives them enough time to make GT5 with everything we want ;)

RC45 12-28-2006 03:13 AM

Oh well, looks like no Force Feedback on PS3... Sony is embroiled in the same fight with Immersion that Microsoft lost when we had no FFB on the XBox and only limited support on the XBox360.

That's it folks - no FFB for Sony hardware and software...

Looks like the PS3 is going onto eBay, as any future titles without FFB will be a bust.. :(

HeilSvenska 12-28-2006 03:51 AM

I'm sorry to say, you should return your PS3, then. Because the new Six-Axis motion sensor controller is incompatible with vibration right now. Sony did announce that the new one will be sold in couple of year's time, but not at the PS3 launch, so oh well. :? And as for force feedback for a special console wheel or something, I dunno. They could possibly release a patch that you can download.

TransAm 12-28-2006 05:11 AM

Great to hear you got hold of a PS3, sorry to hear its shit with no FFB!

That sucks.

Stoopie 12-28-2006 05:39 AM

Does it make good food?

http://productionblog.typepad.com/po.../ps3bbq9xa.jpg

Just kidding ;) Have fun with your PS3, hope there will be some sort of expansion kit for the controllers, so you can have FFB at last :)

HeilSvenska 12-28-2006 05:41 AM

Ahahahhahah

ae86_16v 12-28-2006 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska
I'm sorry to say, you should return your PS3, then. Because the new Six-Axis motion sensor controller is incompatible with vibration right now. Sony did announce that the new one will be sold in couple of year's time, but not at the PS3 launch, so oh well. :? And as for force feedback for a special console wheel or something, I dunno. They could possibly release a patch that you can download.

I think that has to do more w/ the law suit w/ Immersion.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20...urdey_01.shtml

RC45 12-28-2006 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska

I think that has to do more w/ the law suit w/ Immersion.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20...urdey_01.shtml

Yes, in short, Immersion is more interested in making money via litigation with Sony than actially selling product in the market place.

Sony on the other hand is more interested in selling BlueRay playes and HD TV's than actually continuing the "entertainment" path created by PS1 and PS2.

Even the new Formula 1 racing game for PS3 is going ahead without FFB development... strange how this dirty little secret wasn't in the advertisment brocures... :roll:

And sadly the Japanese verison 1.0 download of GTHD had full FFB support, but Sony replaced that download with a V1.1 2 days ago that has no FFB support.

The hardware and software can support it - but the lawyers don't want anyone to use it... :roll: :x

TopGearNL 12-28-2006 11:21 AM

Well I was glad to read that you got one, but what a dissapointment :shock:

fabro_s 12-28-2006 11:34 AM

Congrats RC, is really strange you could actually get one. Last week I was in Mcallen, couse Texas is 2 hours from my hometown, and they told me everywhere that the new supply of PS3s for America where coming till next year. And is almost impossible to get one here in Mexico, the prices range between 1,000 Usd and 1,500 Usd.

And how about comparing it to the XBOX 360? is there a lot of difference in graphics? which console do you prefer the most?

RC45 12-28-2006 11:50 AM

Just to be clear, there is NO shortage of PS3's - it's all hype, they are on sale everywhere, but it seems the reality is that Rumbling controllers and Force Feedbacking wheels are not available. :(

No "hit" when you play Madden NFL as the controller has no rumble mechanism...

Sorry guys... PS3 is just as much of a sell-out as the XBox360... :(

Its a "mulit-media" platform, but all in all is more hype than reality.

The same way the XBox360 doesnt do anything extra "game play" related that the XBox doesnt already do - the big news is the "online" support.

nthfinity 12-28-2006 12:09 PM

wow, what total bollucks..... so the one place where Sony was actually more fun then the other systems, they have just lost out on. Go figure; hopefully you turn a profit on that Piece of Scrap 3 ;)

RC45 12-28-2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthfinity
wow, what total bollucks..... so the one place where Sony was actually more fun then the other systems, they have just lost out on.

Bingo...

And I will verify later today, but rumour is that even GT3 and GT4 will have NO Force Feedback wehn played on the PS3...

This is a big deal, and not reasily advertised or known.

Playing Tigerwoods PGA without "feeling" the hit of of the drive is a total bust... no rumble from a "slam dunk" in NBA...

Thank the lawyers for this one folks.

The PS3 does support FFB, it has simply been blocked via software until further notice.

Quote:

Go figure; hopefully you turn a profit on that Piece of Scrap 3 ;)

I'll try but won't count on it - the folks at Fry's showed me 12 returned systems - returned unopened after people failed to sell them on ebay ;) hehe

ViperASR 12-28-2006 12:32 PM

And that is why I won't buy a PS3. The controller design sucks and now we learn no FFB at all, screw that!

ae86_16v 12-28-2006 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC45

Quote:

Go figure; hopefully you turn a profit on that Piece of Scrap 3 ;)

I'll try but won't count on it - the folks at Fry's showed me 12 returned systems - returned unopened after people failed to sell them on ebay ;) hehe

Yeah, here in the Bay Area, it is harder to get a Wii than a PS3. My friend was down at the Sony Store (Metron) the other day and they had about 60 of them in stock.

On CL you could see people trying to get the Wii by trading straight up with the PS3, brand new, unopened.

- - -

About the controller, I wonder if it is possible to use the PS2 control w/ the rumble?

It seems like Immersion would rather license the "technology" to Sony, but Sony doesn't want to give in.

acmarttin 12-28-2006 05:41 PM

I think that Playstation3 is just going through the same sort of bs that all launching consoles have to go through - the media hypes the system up before it's even out, talking about all the great titles that will be on it and all the crazy space age things the new hardware will be able to pull off. Then the company finds out they can't quite deliver what they said they would to the magazines, etc. the previous year. But then the console launches early anyway because delaying it another year would kill the company if their 2 main competitors have had next gen. systems out already for years in Microsoft's case.

So with the launch everyone's disappointed because the only game on PS3 that's any good that they couldn't get on their 360 Box is Resistance: Fall of Man and beyond that everything else is buggy.

A year ago I was kicking myself in the ass for spending so much money on a new HDTV so I could play my $400 Xbox "the right way." But now that stronger games (that were supposed to be launch titles :)) are coming out it's becomming more fun.

Give PS3 a year and I think it'll shape out. That's when I'll buy one!

RC45 12-28-2006 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acmarttin
I think that Playstation3 is just going through the same sort of bs that all launching consoles have to go through - the media hypes the system up before it's even out, talking about all the great titles that will be on it and all the crazy space age things the new hardware will be able to pull off. Then the company finds out they can't quite deliver what they said they would to the magazines, etc. the previous year. But then the console launches early anyway because delaying it another year would kill the company if their 2 main competitors have had next gen. systems out already for years in Microsoft's case.

So with the launch everyone's disappointed because the only game on PS3 that's any good that they couldn't get on their 360 Box is Resistance: Fall of Man and beyond that everything else is buggy.

A year ago I was kicking myself in the ass for spending so much money on a new HDTV so I could play my $400 Xbox "the right way." But now that stronger games (that were supposed to be launch titles :)) are coming out it's becomming more fun.

Give PS3 a year and I think it'll shape out. That's when I'll buy one!

These issues are not launch "technology" issues, they are "legality" issues.. and SOny has chosen to not play along - the result is less funtional features than a PS1... ;)

Daggernite 12-28-2006 07:03 PM

Thats really sad to hear about gthd since it was the only thing that tempted me into getting the PS3. Guess the xbox360 and forza is the thing ill look forward to now. Im sorry your $500 seems badly spent. :(

RC45 12-28-2006 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daggernite
Thats really sad to hear about gthd since it was the only thing that tempted me into getting the PS3. Guess the xbox360 and forza is the thing ill look forward to now. Im sorry your $500 seems badly spent. :(

I have seen some writings about Forza not having FFB either.. at least not at the level we would want.

Something about no-one having the license to make FFB hardware for the XBox... its all still psuedo FFB by way of "rumble motors"

Really screwed up if you ask me...

Here we are at the technological dawn of astounding hardware and software possibilities and both the XBox360 and PS3 dissapoint in the worst way possible.

Pity PD doesn't ditch Sony and port the GT franchise to PC... ;)

Pimp Racer 12-28-2006 08:11 PM

What ya smokin RC?
(Give me some please)

THERE IS FORCE FEEDBACK IN GTHD Version 1.0

Sorry I had to do that. Loook more into the settings.

http://gtcomplete.com/misc/translation.jpg

I know for a fact now that you can have force feedback because it was a HUGE deal with the all the geeks over at NEOGAF and some GTHD players over at GTPLANET. But I promise you its availbe just look more in the settings. :P

*EDIT* Now that you told me RC I dont know about version 1.1 but I know its in for version 1.0

ViperASR 12-28-2006 08:37 PM

lol, someone here is somoking something

RC45 12-28-2006 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pimp Racer
What ya smokin RC?
(Give me some please)

THERE IS FORCE FEEDBACK IN GTHD

Sorry I had to do that. Loook more into the settings.

http://gtcomplete.com/misc/translation.jpg

I know for a fact now that you can have force feedback because it was a HUGE deal with the all the geeks over at NEOGAF and some GTHD players over at GTPLANET. But I promise you its availbe just look more in the settings. :P

You are wrong.

And pwned for posting a 3 day old screen shot of the Japanese V1.0 release.

The Japanese version 1.1 update REMOVED FFB.

The US V1.1 has NO FFB.

Sony MAY NOT include FFB support in any title they release until they PAY Immersion Inc license fees.

:)

If you have a Japanese V1.0 download on YOUR PS3, do not upgrade it - you will lose FFB.

You do have a PS3 right?

I was only able to download JV1.1 - missed V1.0 by 18 hours :(

;)

P.S. I have beaten the demo in english and japanese , took about 20 minutes ;)

Pimp Racer 12-28-2006 08:47 PM

Damn pwned. lol

Well thanks for clearing that up RC. :D

Nope no PS3 couldnt find one so aint bothering till maybe after summer when they come out with better games as well. :D

Sony needs to pay up. lol

Oh well thanks for clearing that mess up.
I gotta go eat.

ViperASR 12-28-2006 08:47 PM

owned 0X

RC45 12-28-2006 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViperASR
owned 0X

You know JW... we are about "Facts only.. " hehe :P ;)

RC45 12-28-2006 09:30 PM

So - place your car/colour combo requests for GTHD Vidoes.. ;)

I might find the energy to drive and record some perfect laps in the requested car and post the videos :P

dutchmasterflex 12-28-2006 10:07 PM

This whole FFB issue seems like it will effect the PS3 way too much for them to not pay for the rights to use it.

I didn't even think about force feed back wheels, I just thought they couldnt have a rumble controller.

Since all of the hardware does still support FFB, I'm sure Sony will cough up the money or hackers will find a way ;)

SFDMALEX 12-28-2006 10:08 PM

Two words: Nintendo Wii !

Or one: PC

RC45 12-29-2006 02:04 AM

Oh, one more thing....
You don't need the "$100 more Memory Card" enabled PS3.. just plug the card into a USB Card Caddy and plug the caddy into a USB port - and hey presto... you are looking at your Digipics on the TV.

And a regular USB keyboard, mouse and even hub all work out of the box.

And yet another - the built in Web Browser supports plugins etc.

I am browsing JW form the PS3 at the moment... that's right folks... this message is coming to you courtesy of Uncle Sony... :)

ViperASR 12-29-2006 02:45 AM

wow, r u really going to drive us insane with the PS3 internet thing :?: :wink:

RC45 12-29-2006 02:55 AM

Well - that depends on whether you want to hear how you can browse your Hotmail via the PS3, and then even save attachments to a USB memory stick?

You have to give Sony credit... while they screwed up big time with the non-FFB thing... they got the "Internet Device" pieces right.

I thought you were supposed to be able to do this with the XBox360, but I never could get USB peripherals to work with it.

+1 to Sony -5 to M$ ;)

And again, this was posted via PS3 from the couch on the BigScreen TV :P

This is actually pretty cool.

p.s. Did I mention we have Talladega Nights in the Blue Ray player and I just [ALT]-[TAB]ed across to the browser to post this? ;) :) :P

acmarttin 12-29-2006 04:07 AM

This message is coming to you from an Apple (with a heroin addiction.)

RC45 12-29-2006 04:52 AM

Yeah - I guess it really is Pics or STFU after all - right? ;)

The "Photo Album" slide show when you plug a USB Card Caddy with Digipics is freaking cool.

It plays an animation that has all your images appear as Poloroids, slides and 4x3 prints and drop onto a white work table surface - like you would toss out your photos from a shoe box and sort them out.

You can zoom in and check them out... really neat feature that had everyone gathering round to see the pics. It even has a little hand ritten postit style date stamp for the images you are slide showing.

The web browser is really intuitive and simple to you use.

Of course, I dont have an HD telly, so I am stuck with 720x480 pixels, but HD would get the full width screen.

I have viewed YouTube videos, downloaded attachments and searched Google.

Now Sony just needs to pay royalties to use FFB and this console will be freaking perfect.

p.s. - anyone want to buy a lightly used XBox360 and a some agmes? ;) :P

blue8 12-29-2006 10:49 AM

Quote:

So - place your car/colour combo requests for GTHD Vidoes.. ;)

I might find the energy to drive and record some perfect laps in the requested car and post the videos :P

I want to request for the Ferrari 599 that looks exactly like the one in my signature... i'm not sure if the challenge rims are available in the game but as long as it's in that dark red~ color... thanks in advance! :D

RC45 12-29-2006 12:38 PM

Update:

You can easily get your PS2 memory card saves to the PS3 hardrive - $15 USB PS2 memory card adapter, and problem solved.

You can play PS2 games (of course ;)) and GT4 has full FFB support with the G25 and DFP.

You can play audio CD's, and when you insert the CD, the PS3 offers to download the Arist and Track info from Al Gore's Interwebs for you.. ;)

The player also supports DVD with ease and is in fact easier to use than the DVD player.. ;)

Oh - and in a back to back comparison GT4 kinda looks like crap compared to GTHD.. man we are getting spoiled :)

dutchmasterflex 12-29-2006 12:42 PM

ahh.. the power of Linux ;)

RC45 12-29-2006 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex

no.. the power of Windows to make the PC periferal market inot a billion dollar industry by having USB be the defacto standard.. ;)

...and then have Sony love money more than life itself so they decided to support the standards instead of make new ones and sell more consoles ;)

If it wasnt for cheap USB devices the PS3 would be a bust - but there are so it isnt.. :P

Feel free to call me "PS3 FanBoy #45".. ;)

BTW, last night I was ranked 20th in GTHD Drifiting with the 599.. :P ;)

Sir_GT 12-29-2006 02:14 PM

STFU RC

...I'm trying to save money...

*must not buy PS3 yet*

Pimp Racer 12-29-2006 02:33 PM

Hey RC if your interested Yellow Dog just released their free version of Linux based on Fedora Core for free. Its optimised for the PS3 so you will be better off with that distro than any other one for now I think. Also DOWNLOAD the MOTORSTORM DEMO!!!! :lol: I heard it was good man tell us what you think of it.

RC45 12-29-2006 02:48 PM

Quote:

Hey RC if your interested Yellow Dog just released their free version of Linux based on Fedora Core for free. Its optimised for the PS3 so you will be better off with that distro than any other one for now I think. Also DOWNLOAD the MOTORSTORM DEMO!!!! :lol: I heard it was good man tell us what you think of it.

Why would I want Linux on the box?

We want it to be as simple to use as a toaster.. no even simpler.. imagine a toaster that you don't need to put bread in, to et toast out.. :P ;)

dutchmasterflex 12-29-2006 03:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

no.. the power of Windows to make the PC periferal market inot a billion dollar industry by having USB be the defacto standard.. ;)

...and then have Sony love money more than life itself so they decided to support the standards instead of make new ones and sell more consoles ;)

If it wasnt for cheap USB devices the PS3 would be a bust - but there are so it isnt.. :P

Feel free to call me "PS3 FanBoy #45".. ;)

BTW, last night I was ranked 20th in GTHD Drifiting with the 599.. :P ;)

Power of Windows my ass.. Any other OS that had a monopoly on the PC market would of made USB standard because they werent asking for tons of royalties that Apple was for using Firewire.

Any OS coming out of Microsoft, including the one on the 360, will be a pig.

RC45 12-29-2006 09:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Power of Windows my ass.. Any other OS that had a monopoly on the PC market would of made USB standard because they werent asking for tons of royalties that Apple was for using Firewire.

Uhm - that was the entire point of my comment.

It was the power of Windows that allowed that to happen - as until that point in time there had never been consumer/commercial success as the phenomenon called Windows.

So it WAS the power of Windows.. had APple had the brains they could have been the commercial success ... but they weren't, so they aren't. Windows is king... :P

RC45 12-29-2006 09:09 PM

BTW, just connected a USB wireless keyboard mouse combo.. works like a champ. Next test will be a USB harddrive.

Looks like Sony have the USB support thing covered.

Windows may be the commercial king, but XBox360 is a technical disaster compared to PS3.

RC45 12-30-2006 12:41 AM

Not yet sure what videos can all be directl viewed - for sure the MP4's my Kodak digicam takes are not supported.

also I will be returning the RF wireless KB tomorrow.. interferes with the RF signal of the PS3 controller.

So I dug out an old Compaq IR wireless keyboard/track ball from 1998 - used SP2-connector to USB adapter Y-cable and it works.. like a champ.

I hate the XBox360 more with every hour ;)

But - the wife finally showed an interest in and HD TV today.. she has an eye on a 73" Mitsubishi super-duper jon.. 1080p and the works.

So depending how good this soming quarter is, i have "permission" for us to upgrade our aging Mistu Diamondscan 60" ;)

This may be a reprieve for the XBox360 :P hehe

Pimp Racer 12-31-2006 12:11 AM

Quote:

Not yet sure what videos can all be directl viewed - for sure the MP4's my Kodak digicam takes are not supported.

also I will be returning the RF wireless KB tomorrow.. interferes with the RF signal of the PS3 controller.

RF?????? I thought the PS3 controller was Bluetooth?

*EDIT*

Damn Just found out according to this site PS3 can play the following formats.

VIDEO
•MPEG-1
•MPEG-2 (PS,TS)
•H.264/MEPG-4 AVC
•MPEG-4 SP

MUSIC
•ATRAC (.oma .msa .aa3)
•AAC (.3gp .mp4)
•MP3 (.mp3)
•WAV (.wav)

IMAGES
•JPEG
•GIF
•PNG
•TIFF
•BMP

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-...ats-210755.php

ZfrkS62 12-31-2006 12:44 AM

wow...given the FFB troubles, backwards compatibility problems and the lack of appeal on Ebay...i don't think Nintendo could have hoped for a better outcome :lol:

i've seen the graphics on the PS3 first hand and tried to play one of the games but good god what a load of crap. And until you mentioned it, i didn't even notice the lack of vibration in the controller :shock:

I'll go plop down 360 bucks for a Wii now :wink:

RC45 12-31-2006 02:19 AM

Quote:

RF?????? I thought the PS3 controller was Bluetooth?

Uhm exactly how do you think the blue-teeth travel around the room?

Why its RF.. ;)

SO far all PS2 and PS1 titles I tried worked.. I dug up my old PC Logitech Momo FFB wheel, the one with the thick contoured rubber wheel and stick shift (only 200 degrees of rotaiton) but the good news is that its FFB motor is activated during really extreme turns.. so it actually works quite well with GTHD.

Did I already mention that the G25 works properly with GT4?

Today I removed the DVD player from the living room - Mr PS3 is going to do double duty from now on :)