Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Car Chat (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Best every day sport car (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19727)

leo_26782 12-05-2004 09:44 AM

Best every day sport car

I know this question must have been asked around 1'000'000'000'000'000 times, but my low ability to find it in the old topics makes me ask it again.
I am really sorry if it is a repost!

Let's imagine someone offers you the car you want, pays fuel, insurances, but you have to pay for any modification, tyres and maintenance. After thanking him, which car would you choose :?:

To make the answer less easy, it would be your only car, that you would have to use for your daily movements, on bumpy roads, in traffic, to go shopping AND be able to bring something back in it (so forget about any supercar (enzo, CGT, SLR,...)).

I know I would like to choose a sport car, but I really don't know which one I would choose. Maybe a light one, or a Porsche, or a rally-derivated car (Impreza, Evo) with 4 wheel drive, to go skiing with it.

What about you?

TT 12-05-2004 09:46 AM

As always, almost impossible to answer and my answer would change daily, but if that marvellous friend would show up NOW, I guess I would take an FQ-400 EVO :D

RC45 12-05-2004 09:55 AM

I refuse to answer on the grounds I may already have chosen the perfect candidate for such duties - Z06 - and thereby will be viewed as biased... ;)

Then again I may as well tell you that I think a car that allows one to play taxi and drop a 6 year old off at school in the morning, go grocery shopping with room for 15 or 20 grocery bags at lunch time, travel 200 miles on business with average 28mpg fuel consumption, then maintain triple digit soeeds for the almost 2 hours trip home again and still leave you refreshed enough to have enjoyed each of those unique trips on the same day must pretty much fill any niche you need. :twisted:

Gumball0r 12-05-2004 10:31 AM

I Guess I would take the Rs4 or maybe Rs6 8)

dingo 12-05-2004 10:35 AM

The BMW E60 M5 would be a good choice....plenty of performance and room for kids/shopping. :D

Ford Capri 2.8i 12-05-2004 11:37 AM

Firstly i wouldnt go for a supercar or a GT car since those cars arent as practical as rest of the touring cars for going shopping, for traveling, for bringing the kids to the school.........therefore a rallying inspired car is a good option such as the Mitsu Evo VIII or the subaru Imprezza....I do prefer though, any sporty old school rear wheel drive sporty car such as the E55, the M5, the Jag XJ R-Type....and once the E55 is my favourite non GT or supercar nowadays...Id go for the E55

is64fun 12-05-2004 12:11 PM

mclaren if i could afford one. if it not possible then slk 55 amg

possessed_beaver 12-05-2004 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TT
As always, almost impossible to answer and my answer would change daily, but if that marvellous friend would show up NOW, I guess I would take an FQ-400 EVO :D

couldn't of chosen a better car...

that thing would be an absalute animal!!

HeilSvenska 12-05-2004 12:51 PM

I'd go for RS6. Not a sports car, but much more capable than a TT, no offence everso. HSV Coupe 4?

PeleProdigyGTO 12-05-2004 01:08 PM

Well it all depends on the price range I guess... If it was a lower price range I would go for an RX8 or GTO. the 8 has the freestyle doors so its practical with a decent trunk. And the GTO just has a decent trunk and huge backseats once youre in (it's a bitch gettin back there though.) Movin up I would go for RS6 or Audi A8 on the luxury side, and possibly a Porsche GT3 on the sports car side, it has a little back seat right :twisted:

Fleischmann 12-05-2004 01:15 PM

DB9. I'm 17 so kids aren't a problem. That's why I pick this comfortable and luxurious 4 seater. The suspension isn't bonecrunching like in supercars. IT's just a perfect GT car that can turn into a nimble sports car at the click of a finger (or the step of a foot :twisted: ). The only problem would be the fuel economy... V12's sure are thirsty :D

sentra_dude 12-05-2004 01:33 PM

996 turbo for me...

Looks great, has awesome handling and grip, has enough room to go shopping with, has a working a/c (big deal in New Orleans ;)) and if its some how not fast enough in stock form, a vibrant aftermarket. :twisted:

callen 12-05-2004 01:52 PM

I choose the 996 turbo as well. At my age, I dont need 4 door and a big hatch practicality, but it does snow like noones business up here, so i cant takea ferrari for everyday driving....the turbo is all wheel drive, practical, reasonable reliable, and fast as fucking hell! All I need room for is my gf, or in the event shes not in the car, a good friend. not enuf room for the groceries, and there is a passenger? thier lap will do just fine, im not picky 8)

OVERLORD_CHRIS 12-05-2004 02:06 PM

A 4x4 Lincoln Navigator, or a S600/S65. That way i get all the luxury stuff i'm used to now, and when it snows i can go play in it in 4x4 mode.
The Mercedes would be a perfect replacement for that becuase its heavy enuff to plow through snow, and hase more stuff then the Lincoln, but with that V-12 i could hall much ass!

RC45 12-05-2004 02:17 PM

Sports Car

When the hell did the E55 or the Lincoln Navigator or the S55 become sports cars?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OVERLORD_CHRIS
That way i get all the luxury stuff i'm used to now

What sort of luxury are you used to now?

jorge 12-05-2004 02:23 PM

I would also take a Lancer EVO FQ-400, it can carry the groceries faster than almost anything else :o

papaSMURF 12-05-2004 10:27 PM

ok, this is easy... all around id take an sl-65... i can pay to make it handle, and i like the modifications one could do to it....

mmmm power is good.

Vansquish 12-06-2004 03:24 AM

EVO FQ-400 would be quite the vehicle, but it doesn't quite have the panache of some of the other cars out there. An Audi Quattro Sport would do the job for me I think. That turbo I-5 is a much better sounding engine than the EVO's and even though the performance envelope isn't on the same par, it's better looking and even today it's an icon of performance.

aarhead 12-06-2004 04:38 AM

either an Audi RS4 Avant (fast and can hold a butload of groceries in the back), or an BMW M5. Both of them can fill your needs quite easily.

bmwmpower 12-06-2004 06:55 AM

M5 or something like that, or something others Mini Cooper Works

Chingachgook 12-06-2004 08:22 AM

Mh, Lotus Elise S1 Sport 190 for me. I can live with it every day without problem.

If I need bacl seats, a 996 TT with some mods :P

frozzu 12-06-2004 08:41 AM

I'd go for the m5, either the e39 or e60, it doesn't matter. Or e55amg

Gnome 12-06-2004 09:04 AM

More sport, less practicality: TVR 350 - It has quite a bit of luggage space under the rear window. The problem is of course that I'm a devoted skier and I doubt that it is any good up the last slippery hills to the resort...

Edit: Servicing the Speed Six engine might not be very cheap, either...

LotusGT1 12-06-2004 10:46 AM

Seems like a few guys around here have trouble with defining the term sportscar. People these days regard anything that's fast with two doors or even four as a sportscar. Some certainly know jack shit about everyday use of sportcars. LOL@Navigators, Elise, TVR's. They're either ridiculously impractical, or don't fit the bill sportscar at all.

Definition: "a small low car with a high-powered engine; usually seats two persons"

For everyday use the only cars that fit the question are Porsches and Corvettes. Those cars have proven to be reliable and comfortable enough to be everyday cars.

Perhaps some Aston Martins fit the bill to some extent, but for everyday use the options are limited. And besides, those are more luxury GT's instead of real sportscars.

DUNKiNUTS 12-06-2004 10:51 AM

easy question, get a SVT Cobra. or a SVT Lighting/ SRT-10 Ram. can't beat the functionalness of a truck. :wink:

irrational_i 12-06-2004 11:15 AM

I choose my Porsche 911SC! :)
It is my everyday car anyway and is big enough inside to take two computer gamers and their desktop systems to a LAN party.
Fuel consumption is great and maintenance is cheap-ish. Roughly $200-300 per service from my private mechanic. Tyres are roughly $250-400 per tyre depending on front or rear.

Although I think I'd prefer a late 80's Carrera, if only for the gearbox.

At the 275 Ferrari tour I met a guy who uses his 275GTB/4 as an everyday car. It has over 450 000km on the clock. He lives in the USA and may have been from New York (But I am not sure about that!). He even said maintenance is not too bad either!

ace184 12-06-2004 11:38 AM

im with dunk. id either get a cobra or lightning.

sndr 12-06-2004 12:04 PM

Take the Jaguar XK-R or XJR

sameerrao 12-06-2004 12:50 PM

Porsche 911 - 993 or 964
Porsche Boxster
Corvette + Z06

OVERLORD_CHRIS 12-06-2004 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC45
Sports Car

When the hell did the E55 or the Lincoln Navigator or the S55 become sports cars?

Quote:

Hey it just said "any car you wanted" then every one picked a sports car. I'v had 2 Town cars, and now a Lincoln LS V8, so after having a real sport sedan, i figure i'd move up in the world.

But if it had to be a sports car then i'd go with 71' Mack 1 Mustang, plenty of power and fun as hell!

cooperluke 12-06-2004 03:01 PM

Mini Cooper S John Cooper Works!

Agier in the city, practical, and fast enough for everyday use.

blah 12-06-2004 04:10 PM

Ill take a LPE 427 TT Vette. Who the fuck needs AWD in the snow. Its no fun driving with traction. :mrgreen: If i cant have that, then ill have a Diablo SVTT, or a VTT, or a new Z06. :twisted:

Gnome 12-07-2004 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
Ill take a LPE 427 TT Vette. Who the fuck needs AWD in the snow. Its no fun driving with traction. :mrgreen:

:lol:

I know this is off topic, but I just have to say it:
You don't need AWD to drive in the snow, you just need a car that is able to be driven on snow. Some weight on the driving wheels is a good start. FWD is generally a lot better than RWD, but there are huge differences among FWD cars too. I don't know what makes a good snow car, but it's a good combination of many variables.

I have some comments on the sportscar definition from LotusGT1, but I have to come back for that later...

mindgam3 12-07-2004 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LotusGT1
Seems like a few guys around here have trouble with defining the term sportscar. People these days regard anything that's fast with two doors or even four as a sportscar. Some certainly know jack shit about everyday use of sportcars. LOL@Navigators, Elise, TVR's. They're either ridiculously impractical, or don't fit the bill sportscar at all.

Definition: "a small low car with a high-powered engine; usually seats two persons"

For everyday use the only cars that fit the question are Porsches and Corvettes. Those cars have proven to be reliable and comfortable enough to be everyday cars.

Perhaps some Aston Martins fit the bill to some extent, but for everyday use the options are limited. And besides, those are more luxury GT's instead of real sportscars.

I would call the elise the definition of a sportscar.... not necessarily the best everyday sportscar, but IMO THE definition of a sportscar, similiary TVR's.....

If I was going to actually buy a sportscar for everday use including commuting it would have to be 911 or boxster.... If you include performance cars into this catergory then i'd consider an RS6 or M5.

I can't think of anything else id buy for use on a daily basis.... for weekend runs now thats a different matter ;)

RC45 12-07-2004 12:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC45
Sports Car

Quote:

Hey it just said "any car you wanted" then every one picked a sports car. I'v had 2 Town cars, and now a Lincoln LS V8, so after having a real sport sedan, i figure i'd move up in the world.

But if it had to be a sports car then i'd go with 71' Mack 1 Mustang, plenty of power and fun as hell!

No, he said sports car.. ;)

OVERLORD_CHRIS 12-07-2004 02:18 PM

Re: Best every day sport car

Quote:

Originally Posted by leo_26782
Let's imagine someone offers you the car you want, pays fuel, insurances, but you have to pay for any modification, tyres and maintenance. After thanking him, which car would you choose :?:

To make the answer less easy, it would be your only car, that you would have to use for your daily movements, on bumpy roads, in traffic, to go shopping AND be able to bring something back in it (so forget about any supercar (enzo, CGT, SLR,...)).

I know I would like to choose a sport car,.......
What about you?

So rite there in the first sentence were it says "Let's imagine someone offers you the CAR you want...."

So yes an SUV is not a car but picking a MB is fine.

callen 12-07-2004 02:54 PM

i said it once, ill say it again... i dont think the 996 turbo can be beat in terms of everyday useability....if I won the lottery tomorrow, or someone just randomly gives me millions :wink: hehe the turbo would be in my driveway by the new year, and definitely my everyday runabout.

mindgam3 12-07-2004 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everso
anyone who has been in an Elise knows it's hardly an "everyday" sports car. it's far too small and has virtually no practicality at all.

I wouldnt pick it as my everyday sportscar but many many people in the UK have it as there one and only car. Seats two comfortably, got radio, air con, good mpg etc etc, no reason why not - bout the same practicality as a an MG roadster and even more people in the UK have them as their one and only car

Caplax40 12-07-2004 03:34 PM

I'll go with a Lancer Evolution or if I had lots of money to spend, it'd be a Merc CL65 for everyday use. :)

Gnome 12-07-2004 03:46 PM

Quote:

That definition isn't bad, but I feel that the focus on driving experience and handling is important. That sportscars are small and low (and more importantly light) is a result of the engineers quest for driving pleasure and handling. High power isn't as important as low weight, but power/weight ratio could be mentioned.

With that said I don't see why a Corvette is more a sportscar than the TVR T350. They have about the same shape, except that the TVR is a bit smaller, and a lot lighter(1060kg vs 1442kg).

LotusGT1 12-07-2004 03:56 PM

The reason I laughed at the TVR option it's not because it's not a sportscar (it obviously is...), but because it hardly can be called reliable, and it is definately too impractical and hardcore for daily use IMO.

I agree with you on the power/weight ratio being more inportant, I merely copy-pasted the definition of sports car the dictionary gave me :) General idea still stands...

mindgam3 12-07-2004 04:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindgam3
Quote:

anyone who has been in an Elise knows it's hardly an "everyday" sports car. it's far too small and has virtually no practicality at all.

I wouldnt pick it as my everyday sportscar but many many people in the UK have it as there one and only car. Seats two comfortably, got radio, air con, good mpg etc etc, no reason why not - bout the same practicality as a an MG roadster and even more people in the UK have them as their one and only car

have you been in an Elise before? there is NO storage room, the interior is cramped, it's a pain in the arse to get in and out of, it's noisy, and you can't drive it in the winter.

if people own it as their "only car" i can assure you there aren't many...and those people also have alternative means of normal commuting and/or they don't have to commute.

it is NOT practical.

I've been in a fair few elise's thank you :P I'm 6'4 and didnt find it cramped at all - not for a sportscar anyway ;)

Maybe not in america where you're used to you big plush limo's, but in the UK they're fairly common as the owners only car.....

At the end of the day its all opinion

Schwalbe 12-07-2004 04:21 PM

LOL, Funny stuff everso about the Elise.

For my part, my "Best every day sport car" is naturally the B5 Audi RS4. The reason is simple: Der Kombi , der Porsche fehlt: Audi RS4. :twisted:

The best car for daily uses and Gumball rallying. :wink:
http://img47.exs.cx/img47/317/b9qgumball300011.th.jpg

RC45 12-07-2004 05:53 PM

Re: Best every day sport car

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by leo_26782

What about you?

So rite there in the first sentence were it says "Let's imagine someone offers you the CAR you want...."

So yes an SUV is not a car but picking a MB is fine.

And right in the last sentence he says...

Quote:

What about you?[/
:)

OVERLORD_CHRIS 12-08-2004 03:58 AM

Exactly.. HE would like to choose a sports car.

The only sports cars i could maintain and fix up(and like) would be: Any old muscel car from 66'-71', Cobra, ZO6, Skyline, Focus RS, or RS4. After all true "Sports Cars" are only 2-doors, any thing else is a sports sedan, or sport truck. :D

RC45 12-08-2004 05:04 AM

Quote:

Exactly.. HE would like to choose a sports car.

The only sports cars i could maintain and fix up(and like) would be: Any old muscel car from 66'-71', Cobra, ZO6, Skyline, Focus RS, or RS4. After all true "Sports Cars" are only 2-doors, any thing else is a sports sedan, or sport truck. :D

The topic is titled Best every day sport car... :P

Gnome 12-08-2004 09:02 AM

Quote:

The reason I laughed at the TVR option it's not because it's not a sportscar (it obviously is...), but because it hardly can be called reliable, and it is definately too impractical and hardcore for daily use IMO.

I agree with you on the power/weight ratio being more inportant, I merely copy-pasted the definition of sports car the dictionary gave me :) General idea still stands...

I was afraid this was just failure to communicate. We basically agree, then. :)

The reliability of a TVR is a problem, but with proper insurance you get a rental car right away (for free) when it breaks down. The problem is solved! (almost anyway, just igneore the delay) :wink:

OVERLORD_CHRIS 12-08-2004 01:24 PM

FINE I'LL GIVE IN lol....., this is what i'd drive:
http://www.mbusa.com/brand/models/CL65.jsp

RC45 12-08-2004 01:33 PM

^^^^ nice car... would make a great daily driver... not unlike a Honda Civic... :P ;)

OVERLORD_CHRIS 12-08-2004 01:36 PM

Some one choose a Handa Civic, of all the cars in the world? :shock: