Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   American Cars (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   C6 vs. Z06 (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3522)

godspeed06 12-16-2003 11:17 AM

C6 vs. Z06

what do you guys think GM is going to do? will they make the first year C6 faster than the Z06, or will they hold it back to sell their remaining '04 Z06s. i've been at the corvetteforum.com forum for a long time and they've been debating this for a while. i think the C6 will come out with around 405 hp like the Z06 but will be lighter and have better brakes so it will most likely beat the Z06 around a track. i can't wait until i get to see it in person. I'll be at the Chicago show taking pictures of everything.

RC45 12-16-2003 11:26 AM

Progress is inevitable... but I feel everyone is incorrectling anticipating as large a leap forward from the C5 to C6 as there was from the C4 to C5.

If that was the case, then the C6 would jump way passed the likes of the Pagini Zonda and Enzo etc in terms of performance - which is not on the cards.

The C6 will probably sit right at a CAI modded Z06 in stock form.

:)

godspeed06 12-16-2003 11:32 AM

Quote:

If that was the case, then the C6 would jump way passed the likes of the Pagini Zonda and Enzo etc in terms of performance - which is not on the cards.
check this out...
http://autoweek.com/search/search_di...55975&record=2

RC45 12-16-2003 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godspeed06
Quote:

check this out...
http://autoweek.com/search/search_di...55975&record=2

Pie in the sky BS from GM.

They can't even build reliable clutch/tranny/engines at regular power levels - besides, a lot can happen between now and when the "next Z06" is released.

You specifically asked C6-base vs current Z06, not "future-Z06" ;)

godspeed06 12-16-2003 01:51 PM

yea, i know what i asked about, that was just because he mentioned the other supercars. i'm really starting to get pissed about GM's BS, especially in the sport compact market. GM is just awful when it comes to that. they've been talking about superchargers for the new cav and sunfire for a while, and now they aren't going to make one. big surprise. i hope the new saturn ion red line is decent. thats about the only thing that can save them in the small to midsize car market. excluding cadillac.

inso 12-16-2003 01:54 PM

http://www.dozer.com/z06/

here´s one C5 that will help you get by until you get that C6. And no it´s not mine, there would be no use for it here in finland, -20C now..

Reznor 12-16-2003 05:23 PM

I wouldn't understand why they would hold the c6 back. I wouldn't think that the current z06's would lose that much value just because the c6 is out. Plus I think that GM would want to make a showing by releasing the best and fastest car in its class. Why go sub-par?

blah 12-16-2003 05:38 PM

because the current Z06 owners would be pissed of that a base model vette has more HP. there is one way to make everyone happy, make the base C6 have same power as the Z06, yet make it alittle heavier. Anyways i highly doubt this blue devil will appear, if it did, its not very feasible. a 7.0 Litre Corvette? Can you imagine the gas mileage on that thing. why would they jump from a 5.7 Litre LS6, which they havent even really developed all the way out to a 7.0 Litre? There still so much more potential left in the LS6.

Reznor 12-16-2003 05:50 PM

So you are saying that they aren't going to release a new z06 when they release the new c6. I just don't see what the point in buying a new c6 would be if they are just going to release a more powerful version once all the current z06's are sold.

hemi_fan 12-16-2003 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
because the current Z06 owners would be pissed of that a base model vette has more HP. there is one way to make everyone happy, make the base C6 have same power as the Z06, yet make it alittle heavier. Anyways i highly doubt this blue devil will appear, if it did, its not very feasible. a 7.0 Litre Corvette? Can you imagine the gas mileage on that thing. why would they jump from a 5.7 Litre LS6, which they havent even really developed all the way out to a 7.0 Litre? There still so much more potential left in the LS6.

First off, I dont think people will be worried about the fuel economy of their car if they're buying a vette. I also doubt the 427 would use that much more gas than the LS6 anyway. I do think the C6 should be faster than the ZO6 because if they dont make it faster, they wont sell any. If they do, people will still want the last models of Z06 for collectors. I think they should build a fully decked out corvette like the blue devil because as soon as Ford builds their GT, Chevrolet will be the slowest of the big 3. The C6 probably wont be faster than the Viper, and deffinitely not faster than the GT so they need something to compete with these new cars. Id personally love to see a new car with a 427, and I bet they could get the economy up to high teens maybe low 20mpg range if thats what you're worried about. :D

Reznor 12-16-2003 06:28 PM

Quote:

The C6 probably wont be faster than the Viper, and deffinitely not faster than the GT so they need something to compete with these new cars.
How do you figure? Maybe your abundance of vettes, quirky project ideas as in radios, spinners and so on give you an inside advantage?

Party hard.

godspeed06 12-16-2003 07:03 PM

the C6 Z06 is rumored to have 500hp, so it might be able to beat the viper, but we'll have to wait a while to see that. even if its not, it isn't the end of the world. i mean the vette is 30 grand cheaper than the viper and 100 grand cheaper than the GT. with lutz, i see no reason why they wouldn't make the blue devil. even if they only make 200 or 300, every single one would sell, and they would only appreciate in value. for comparison, they dropped a 500+ hp engine into a few '67 model vettes which is an insane amount of horsepower for the 60s. they are now selling for up to $650,000. i don't see why they can't do the same thing now.

Grossi 12-16-2003 07:24 PM

ive seen some pictures of the C6, it looks amazing! :lol:

blah 12-16-2003 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi_fan
Quote:

First off, I dont think people will be worried about the fuel economy of their car if they're buying a vette. I also doubt the 427 would use that much more gas than the LS6 anyway. I do think the C6 should be faster than the ZO6 because if they dont make it faster, they wont sell any. If they do, people will still want the last models of Z06 for collectors. I think they should build a fully decked out corvette like the blue devil because as soon as Ford builds their GT, Chevrolet will be the slowest of the big 3. The C6 probably wont be faster than the Viper, and deffinitely not faster than the GT so they need something to compete with these new cars. Id personally love to see a new car with a 427, and I bet they could get the economy up to high teens maybe low 20mpg range if thats what you're worried about. :D

People who buy vettes get some great gas mileage. It would be a step backwards for the vettes to get 13-17 MPG.

godspeed06 12-16-2003 09:51 PM

they could use the displacement on demand system or whatever it is called.

graywolf624 12-16-2003 10:13 PM

Quote:

they could use the displacement on demand system or whatever it is called.

The C6 probably wont be faster than the Viper, and deffinitely not faster than the GT so they need something to compete with these new cars.
Not could. They are.

Not to mention the c6 doesnt have to compete with the viper and even more so with the GT.

Let us refresh. Fully loaded z06- 50000
Viper 80000?
GT 150000?

hemi_fan 12-16-2003 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graywolf624
Let us refresh. Fully loaded z06- 50000
Viper 80000?
GT 150000?

Its not so much the price, but the fact that Ford and Chrysler are making a faster car thats the problem. Their reputation is at stake. For a long while Ford was the slowest of the bunch, but it has not jumped into the lead with their new car. GM already has a good platform, and with some tuning and exotic materials it could smoke the current viper and be a fair rival for the GT with enough work. I just want to see if GM goes after Ford or just accepts that Ford has a faster car and relies strictly on Value to sell their cars.

graywolf624 12-16-2003 11:34 PM

Quote:

For a long while Ford was the slowest of the bunch, but it has not jumped into the lead with their new car. GM already has a good platform, and with some tuning and exotic materials it could smoke the current viper and be a fair rival for the GT with enough work. I just want to see if GM goes after Ford or just accepts that Ford has a faster car and relies strictly on Value to sell their cars.
I really hope they don't. This isn't about who has the fastest overall car(very few people will buy the gt). It is about who makes the fastest cars. I personally think ford, with all its financial problems, is making a big mistake to sell a halo car. And actually GM has almost always had the fastest domestic. They do alot of small numbers special models rather then cars.

godspeed06 12-17-2003 12:07 AM

as i much as i want gm to make the blue devil, the important part is that they keep making the best bang for the buck sports car. i have no problems with how high end they go (who does?) as long as they keep a car in the 50 grand range because that is what makes the vette what it is.

this would be perfect...

45-50 grand base C6
50-60 grand convertible/loaded
60-70 grand Z06 (can compete with or beat the new viper)
100+ grand Blue Devil

Reznor 12-18-2003 01:40 AM

I thought that the new vette was going to take advantage of the D.O.D. system that GM has been revamping and working on. Get the kinks out and I think it would be a great system as long as you could turn it off. I mean there are sometimes that you want all cylinders firing even when you are just idleing.

Cornutu 12-18-2003 11:17 PM

yes a system that used 4 of the cyls and then kicked in the other 4 during performance times would be a good idea

FoxFour 12-19-2003 05:57 PM

It would certainly make sense to debut the new model with Z06 levels of engine power. If the info is true about a bigger displacement ( Base 'Vette) Then you can be sure that it will have that HP rating. The new Cobra's put out 390 HP stock and it's actually putting out around 410-420 at the flywheel.

666fast 12-21-2003 12:03 AM

I don't think the normal C6 will outperform the current Z06. The regular C6 will be pretty much what they current C5's are. Quick, but not the quickest. I don't think GM would allow the normal C6 to be faster than their current Top of the line car.
The C6 will no doubt be fast, but it won't have the Z06's more race oriented suspension and other little bits.

The Z06 version of the C6 is gonna be badass. With the increase in power, it'll be leaps ahead of the current Z06.
I haven't seen anyone mention it in this thread, but there is supposed to be a Z51 version. My guess is it will be inbetween the regular C6 and the Z06. It won't make the power of the Z06, but it'll have better brakes, better suspension over the regular Z06. Think of it as a cheaper, not as fast Z06 I guess.

This Blue Oval Killer, whatever it is they are calling it. I see a few people think it's a load of crap. I for one don't. Ford had the cajones to build the GT, and it tramples all other American sportscars you can buy. It only makes sense that GM would build something to compete with it. The Ford GT will sell a good amount, this Super C6 will do the same if they build it.

Autoextremist.com did and article a few weeks ago about the C6. They mentioned everything that is now just starting to come out. They reported on this supposed Super C6, except they said that McLaren might have had soemthing to do with it. How awesome would that be? LOL
It's not a fact, and it won't be known untill the C6 has been officially unvieled.
The Ford GT just barely outperforms the Ferrari 360. Which is impressive for an american car company! If GM plans on competing with the Ford GT, you can bet they plan on beating it in everyway possible. If they manage to do so, it will be one hell of a car!

Some other usefull info about the C6:
5 inches shorter than the C5. Mostly in the overhangs though. It'll save wieght, but not much. Even being shorter, it will still have the same amount of room inside. The interior is supposedly far better than the C5's. The convertable will also finally get a powered top.

blah 12-21-2003 01:54 AM

Barely outpreforms the 360? Event he 360 in Challenge Stradale form was no competition for the GT. And i dont think the GT is a bad choice for ford, its giving them much needed publicity, also think about it the same engine thats in the GT is in the F-150 minus the supercharged, and in the lightning with the supercharger, so think about how they could market their truck engines now. Also the Ford GT is boosting fords reputation once more, as the ferrari fighter, althought chevy has taken over that part of america with its C-5 Corvettes.

666fast 12-21-2003 04:49 AM

Quote:

And i dont think the GT is a bad choice for ford

I never said it was. I agree with you, Ford needed to build a car like that. Everything I've read said the the 360 was close to the GT, so I took it as so. Also, the Challenge Stradale isn't all that much faster than the other 360 versions.

They could use the GT as another way to market their trucks, but they don't need too. Especially the F150, they sell them by the boatloads as is. American car companies can't build any decent cars, but they have the truck market nailed dead on. Although, I think Nissans Titan will do considerable damage to their sales.

Quote:

Also the Ford GT is boosting fords reputation once more, as the ferrari fighter
Yes, but it looks as if Chevy could steal their thunder. I dont' think it will hurt the GT's sales by much though. Lets face it, the GT40 is a racing icon loved by people all over the world. I can't say the same for the Corvette, despite how well they have done in racing the past few years. The only place that the Vette is truly appreciated is in America.

godspeed06 12-21-2003 11:51 AM

i have not heard of the Z51. i have heard of the ZL1 which is supposed to be codenamed the "Blue Devil" which we have already meantioned, but i just dont see how they will market something in between the regular C6 and the Z06. as far as the interior goes, the C6 is going to be a lot like the XLR which is a good thing. push button start, the same lcd screen and gadgets as in the XLR, nav system and so on. i can't wait to see the interior...

blah 12-21-2003 12:07 PM

The GT wasnt a bad choice comment wasnt directed towards you, but towards graywolf. I have my road and track issue right here, with the GT vs 360 let me type in the numbers for everyone. Also about the GT, if i remember correctly they are all sold out for atleast another year. Ill also get the Car and Driver stats too, cuz they ran it vs the GT3, and the Challange.
Road and Track Stats
skidpad .99gs N/A

Car and Driver Stats Ford GT Challange GT3
1/4 Mile 11.6@128 MPH 12.4@115 12.3@114

godspeed06 12-21-2003 12:15 PM

there is no way it takes 117 ft to brake. the viper does it in 97! must be shitty driver or bad conditions...

blah 12-21-2003 12:23 PM

Yea it probably wasnt great drivers but thats what they got road and track. if you notice car and driver got a 11.6 out of the GT while C&D got a 12.2, so i think the drivers wer an issue.

godspeed06 12-21-2003 01:11 PM

yea, car and driver hasn't really impressed me in their last couple of comparos. i dont know if you remember but they did the comparo with all the new pocket rockets but they were all tuned. kind of like how the did the supercar tuner comparo the year before. anyways, one or two of the tuner cars actually had slower times than their stock performances. its just a shame they can't get a good consistent driver like "the stig" on top gear to race these cars. i wish we got top gear here in america. the magazines and car shows here are a dissappointment compared to european ones. sorry for the rant. :x

blah 12-21-2003 02:48 PM

Fourgasm i have the issue my bathroom.

666fast 12-22-2003 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godspeed06
i have not heard of the Z51..

It's nothing official yet, just what I read. I dont' know if you knew this, but there was a Z51 Vette made nto too long ago. IIRC, it's a handling package.

godspeed06 12-22-2003 10:36 AM

yea, i've seen a video that had a corvette with a Z51 badge. the thing could haul ass. i think i got it from this website as well.

blah 12-22-2003 12:19 PM

Motor Trend did a issue that compared all the vettes, the Z06 smoked the Z51 though.

godspeed06 12-22-2003 01:58 PM

this one must have been modded out of its ass... in fact, it might have been a lingenfelter. for 90 grand i dont think you could get or make any car in the world that is faster than a lingenfelter vette. straight line AND track. i know you could probably use that NAWS shit in a TT supra and beat on in the quarter mile but don't get me started on that. i mean best all around car for 90 grand.

666fast 12-23-2003 02:54 AM

Quote:

Motor Trend did a issue that compared all the vettes, the Z06 smoked the Z51 though.

As it should have. The Z51 is primarily a handling package. I don't think it increases the power at all.

jinxed84 01-16-2004 10:34 PM

the new c6 with the Z51 performance package is supposed to be only slightly slower than a z06 on a track.

there are 3 different suspension packages AFAIK. one sorta cushy one, then MRC(magnetic ride control) and the z51. the z51 also comes with uprgraded steering and oil coolers i think.

zevolv 01-16-2004 10:41 PM

I'm pretty sure the Z06 is faster than the new C6 since the Z06 has 5 more hp and the latest models incorporated Carbon fiber hoods and other various parts to reduce weight and the fact that some of the drivetrain parts on the Z06 are definitely better than any standard Corvette should have.

blackgt2 01-20-2004 02:58 AM

The c6 with all of its gadgets would definetly be heavier than a stripped down (relatively speaking) z06

fritzintn 01-21-2004 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackgt2
The c6 with all of its gadgets would definetly be heavier than a stripped down (relatively speaking) z06

One of those new gadgets is going to be a lateral G meter on the HUD. My old roomates dad owns a Chebby dealership and got the press packet today. Also the 6.0L LS2 isnt going to be based off the truck block too :)

"What are the power numbers for the 6.0L LS2 V8?

The LS2 generates 400 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque."

RC45 01-21-2004 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fritzintn
One of those new gadgets is going to be a lateral G meter on the HUD.

Cop1: "Sir, please step out of the car - keep your hands in plain sight!"

C6 driver: "But officer - just let me clear the data from my DIC (Vette speak for the Driver Information center) "

Cop2: "Hands where I can see them.. NOW!!!!"

Cop1: "Yeah - hands off your DIC!!"

Cop2: "Yep, here it is Earl - max G's 1.1 lateral, and 1.9 positive forward "

Cop1: "Well - well - we got you now - Your car has told us how fast you went, hw hard you turned and how hard you braked"

Cop2: "Oh - and don't forget the data we are going to subpoena from OnStar - we been tracking your speeding movemens for a year now - I don't want to see you insurance bill Mr."

And dont think the above is not going to happen - it is. ;)

Black boxes in planes are good - in cars - bad...

666fast 01-21-2004 08:23 PM

Quote:

Funny you say that, because a C5 has one! Or at least according to a link I read. Underneath the radio there is a box with a serial port. From what I read, there is no reason or explanation for it being there.

godspeed06 01-21-2004 08:24 PM

shit... that isn't as cool as i once thought. no way, there needs to be some kind of secrecy contract like with lawyers with onstar. if they fuck me over i'm never going to use their service again.

666fast 01-21-2004 08:30 PM

Here ya go RC45, I found a link about it.
http://www.techtv.com/news/print/0,2...391730,00.html

RC45 01-21-2004 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 666fast
Quote:

Funny you say that, because a C5 has one! Or at least according to a link I read. Underneath the radio there is a box with a serial port. From what I read, there is no reason or explanation for it being there.

Do you honestly think I do not know that my car has a black box... ;) ...that's why I brought the topic up, as who knows how much more data is being recorded in the newer version...

666fast 01-22-2004 03:42 AM

So what happens if you take it out? Any repercussions if you were to get into an accident?

RC45 01-22-2004 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 666fast
So what happens if you take it out? Any repercussions if you were to get into an accident?

Well it is cunningly tied into the airbag deployment triggering circuitry - so apart from not being able to deploy your airbags - no negative effects, as removing the little silver "blackbox" under the radio in the center console is part of race prep for these and many other cars.

The car makers and insurance guys like to tout that if you are in an accident you could always use the data to prove you tried to brake/avoid the accident etc... but the truth is, in these car, just shifting into 3rd gear puts over the speed limit and into jail territory if you hit someone - so the chances of the data clearing you is a lot less likely than the data being used to crucify you... ;)

DanHenderson 02-19-2004 07:57 AM

Car and Driver's first look came out on the C6 and these are their estimates:

C/D-ESTIMATED PERFORMANCE (6-speed):
Zero to 60 mph 4.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph 10.0 sec
Standing 1/4-mile 12.7 sec @ 113 mph
Top speed (drag limited) 180 mph

PROJECTED FUEL ECONOMY
EPA city driving 18-19 mpg
EPA highway driving 25-28 mpg

Still, it doesn't beat a Z06, but it's also $8,000 less at base MSRP. Added to which you also get a much better interior in the C6 than you will ever find in a C5 and it most likely handles better since it has a smaller exterior and a longer wheelbase, and doesn't weigh too much more.

Should be interesting to see the C6 Z06 next year.

altezza 02-19-2004 08:35 AM

click here for an article regarding the GM's Advanced Automatic Crash Notification system

diagram

vegetoxx 02-21-2004 11:14 PM

I think the new vette is going to rock, however, don't forget about the all new svt mustang cobra that should be out around the same time as the Z06. I know the cobra can't match the Z06 in handling.... but in raw power (straight-line) power the cobra should be competitive. There's more at the Blue Oval then the GT supercar. Who know's the Shelby Cobra could be in works to dominate both the vette and viper. :mrgreen: