Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Ferrari (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   The real name of new Ferrari is... (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12483)

stradale 07-08-2004 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabba
Thats interesting information indeed. Any more information on "countach" LotusGT1 ?

I think I had that one covered in the previous page... :wink:

Jabba 07-08-2004 08:18 AM

Yep but I thought you said that it might be only a "legend" that someone shouted out countach when the car was rolled out.

stradale 07-08-2004 08:33 AM

Oh, I thought you had forgotten that there was no link to bulls with the name Countach. My bad.

It is a legend though. No one knows where the name was thought up for real. Maybe it went like this, maybe it didn't. Other versions of the story say that it was Nuccio Bertone tha exclaimed "Countach" when he saw it, others claim it was what the audience murmured when it was unveiled. The last version seems highly unlikely to me though. The car already had the name Countach on it when it was unveiled and I can't imagine that the whole crowd consisted of people that speak the accent of the Piedmontese region.

garybb 07-08-2004 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerx
lol how this a post about ferrari turn into a post about lamborghini so fast???

there was a jabbavasion and that was the end of that :P

Jabba 07-08-2004 08:48 AM

I just go with the flow.

tigersoul 07-11-2004 08:20 AM

Little edit: 430 Fiorano :wink:

BADMIHAI 07-11-2004 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabba
Thats interesting information indeed. Any more information on "countach" LotusGT1 ?

Apparently not, but Mihai can come to the rescue. To my knowledge "Countach" means something in the region of "what the fuck?". It is a word used for amazement or when in awe. That's apparently what the people at Automobili Lamborghini said when they saw the (now named) Countach. It can also mean "cunt".

LotusGT1 07-11-2004 09:23 AM

"Countach" is an Italian word simply meaning "Wow ! Look at this !".

TT 07-11-2004 09:40 AM

No idea how "countach" was born, but I can assure there is nothing in italian that comes close to such word!

LotusGT1 07-11-2004 10:03 AM

You might want to brush up your italian then...;)

Countach' comes from the local Piedmontese dialect,with no literal translation, but the drift is as stated above...

TT 07-11-2004 10:12 AM

LOL ok, but dialects are not really "italian" ;) I mean, in most italian dialects there are words that are completely different than the italian ones. Some of them are really like foreign language and most other italian ppl won't even understand them :D

scottjua 07-13-2004 01:38 PM

I guess that means a 4.2 liter.... hmmm I wonder how the Maser's engine will do in the new mid-engine ferrari

Caps8419 07-13-2004 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TT
LOL ok, but dialects are not really "italian" ;) I mean, in most italian dialects there are words that are completely different than the italian ones. Some of them are really like foreign language and most other italian ppl won't even understand them :D

hehe, look up "snail" in italian and find out how to say it in sicilian.... perfect example.

noliebro 07-15-2004 06:02 PM

I don't think they should change the name, it is basically a newer version of the modena , why not call it the 420 Modena :?: