Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Car Chat (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What is the best looking modern car (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20373)

HeilSvenska 12-21-2004 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrpushrod
DB9 easily, it even sounds sexy.

:roll: Oh, Yes! David Brown 9!

urm... no

Audi RS6 Avant Plus & Audi S4 Avant gets my top votes. Bahaus design theme + functionality = understated beauty.

+ Maserati GranSport
+ Koenigsegg CC8S/CCR
+ Lamborghini Diablo VT 6.0/GT/GTR
+ Ferrari 550/575M
+ Aston DB7 GT
+ TVR T350C/T350T
+ Italdesign Brera
+ Italdesign W12 Nardo
+ Bentley Arnage T
+ VW Golf R32

Sir_GT 12-22-2004 12:31 AM

You people are hilarious. Even though I said just vote one, somebody shot off more than a dozen or so picks. :)

...and to be more specific about the "modern" time frame? hmmm... Let's say all cars since the launch date of the Ferrari 360 up to now.

I don't know if we should count the "new" Ford GT, since its basically a copy of the old GT40, and not an evolutionary/revolutionary modern update/interpretation of a classic, such as the new Rolls-Royce or the new DB9 or the Murcielago.

Oh, and no concept cars please. The Alfa Competizione shouldn't count.

::EDIT::

Hell, since everybody's making a list, I'll make one as well:
(From my utmost fave to my least fave - but still a fave)
  • Rolls-Royce Phantom
  • Lamborghini Murcielago
  • Aston Martin DB9
  • Maserati Quattroporte (it really has to be seen in the metal)
  • Pagani Zonda Roadster
  • Ford Mustang GT (yep, the new one)
  • Porsche Carrera GT (in black)
  • McLaren Mercedes SLR (sod the performance, just look at it)
  • BMW M5 (the new one)
  • Ferrari 612 Scaglietti (like the Maser, it has to be seen in the metal)

Like somebody else mentioned, a lot of you may dislike the Scaglietti, but once you see it in the metal, you'll understand what it is. It really is a "gentleman's Ferrari". Its a car that doesn't need to show itself to the crowd, it simply sits quietly and confidently. It's not a sports car, it's a luxury GT... like a Quattroporte minus the rear doors. Its approach is very similar to the 550 when it was first released: a Ferrari that doesn't need to stick the middle finger up to be noticed, because it knows everybody is already looking anyway.

That said, when you see a Maserati Quattroporte in the metal, in its "nero black" guise, I can guarantee you that you will have never thought that you would be at a loss for words. Compared to all the other "big" cars out there (S-class,A8,7 series, Phaeton, Caddilac, etc.) it is trully work of art. If you've never associated the word "sex appeal" with a four door saloon, once you see a Quattroporte, you will.

The Rolls and Murcie top my list because they are simply the most beautiful things on the road. They don't even need to be moving, or making a noise... they don't even need to be switched on. All they have to do is sit quietly, parked, and anybody who walks by and catches a glimpse will say to himself: "Yep. That's a fucking special car."

8)

SnakeBitten 12-22-2004 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wutputt
Current car: Aston Martin DB9 or Alfa GT

Cars for the near future: AMV8 or Alfa 8C

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Quote:

Originally Posted by dingo22
^ the Diablo, F355 and the GT40 wouldn't be considered modern cars IMO. :wink:

You're kidding right??The Diablo just got replaced by the Murci and the GT40 just came out this year....F355 is still modern. The 90's arent that far past...Maybe the topic should have said current cars instead of modern :wink:

The GT40 was launched in the 60's. That's 40 years ago. I wouldn't call something which is 40 years old modern

The Diablio and F355 are already replaced by a newer one. That defines them a bit as not modern anymore.

Ok so you are splitting hairs on the GT40. Fine Ill say the Ford GT then so you dont think I mean the one from 60's :roll: ......I do hope you know what modern means....It doesnt mean only what just came out.....Ill leave it at that...

RC45 12-22-2004 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
...and to be more specific about the "modern" time frame? hmmm... Let's say all cars since the launch date of the Ferrari 360 up to now.

You mean "modern" as in when you first started to notice cars and girls.. :P ;)

ikon2003 12-22-2004 01:47 AM

I totally forgot the TVR Sagaris. aka, the "car designed by an ax murderer." IDC what other people think, but to me this car is very appealing. Entirely aggressive, totally unique yet heart'N'soul of a true TVR, outlandish and extreme without being gaudy or rice...and of course, some big performance under the hood to match. (now if we could only work on that whole reliability thing... :wink: )

And as for pure liquid blend of functionality and aesthetic design: Koenigesgg CC8S and CCR. Over-the-top without any nonsense. Beauty dictated by purpose. :!:

Mr.Vercetti 12-22-2004 04:42 AM

The Alfa 8C Comp. is not a prototype anymore cause its going to go into production as u see it.

But ok, lest say that bcuse it hasnot ocme out yet it doesnt count. My fav. then is the Bentley Continental GT.

http://tanakatire.web.infoseek.co.jp...inental_GT.jpg

dingo 12-22-2004 05:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wutputt
Current car: Aston Martin DB9 or Alfa GT

Cars for the near future: AMV8 or Alfa 8C

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingo22
^ the Diablo, F355 and the GT40 wouldn't be considered modern cars IMO. :wink:

You're kidding right??The Diablo just got replaced by the Murci and the GT40 just came out this year....F355 is still modern. The 90's arent that far past...Maybe the topic should have said current cars instead of modern :wink:

The GT40 was launched in the 60's. That's 40 years ago. I wouldn't call something which is 40 years old modern

The Diablio and F355 are already replaced by a newer one. That defines them a bit as not modern anymore.

Ok so you are splitting hairs on the GT40. Fine Ill say the Ford GT then so you dont think I mean the one from 60's :roll: ......I do hope you know what modern means....It doesnt mean only what just came out.....Ill leave it at that...

I wouldn't say he is 'splitting hairs' since Ford GT is its official name, and GT40 refers to the 60's model. :wink: I now what you mean though....the author of this thread should have cleared it up in the first post.

neilo63 12-22-2004 06:47 AM

DB9 and 360 Challenge Stradale Period. :mrgreen:

altezza 12-22-2004 08:25 AM

1) Ferrari F430
2) Aston Martin DB9

martin100 12-22-2004 12:28 PM

For me it would be either a Merc SL55 AMG or AM DB9 :twisted: Nothing matches these in terms of looks!

Sir_GT 12-22-2004 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC45
Quote:

You mean "modern" as in when you first started to notice cars and girls.. :P ;)

I've been into cars and girls since I was three mate. I thought a time frame of about 5 years (give or take) should do for modern.

Sir_GT 12-22-2004 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Vercetti
The Alfa 8C Comp. is not a prototype anymore cause its going to go into production as u see it.

The project was canned by Luca di Montezemolo because he feared it would eat into the sales of the Maserati Coupe.

So, nope, sorry. The Alfa 8C will stay as a concept for the foreseeable future.

mindgam3 12-22-2004 01:08 PM

Easily the AM DB9/DB7

mazmazmaz1 12-22-2004 03:28 PM

Murcielago then Murcielago

Mr.Vercetti 12-22-2004 04:07 PM

Quote:

The project was canned by Luca di Montezemolo because he feared it would eat into the sales of the Maserati Coupe.

So, nope, sorry. The Alfa 8C will stay as a concept for the foreseeable future.

Noope, the project is alive and kicking... These r bs form EVO and Autocar... A fiend was in Italy a couple of days ago, and he told me that the project moves on as planned.