Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Motorsport News And Discussion (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   F1 News & Rumours (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14406)

sameerrao 08-14-2004 07:01 PM

^^^ I think Newey left originally because he felt that Patrick Head was cramping his style and not allowing him too much independence. So he could be back only if he is guaranteed full control. But why? He seems to have gone off the boil over the last past few years - his cars ahven't really shook the earth have they?

mindgam3 08-16-2004 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sameerrao
^^^ I think Newey left originally because he felt that Patrick Head was cramping his style and not allowing him too much independence. So he could be back only if he is guaranteed full control. But why? He seems to have gone off the boil over the last past few years - his cars ahven't really shook the earth have they?

i think a lot of teams top engineers etc are getting too old and will soon be retiring, I think we will see a lot of fresh faces in teams in a few years. As for neway, they said williams have been struggling with their aero stuff, but he's hardly made a big impact recently at mclaren as you said, their cars have been way off the pace for the majority of this year

possessed_beaver 08-17-2004 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindgam3
Quote:

i think a lot of teams top engineers etc are getting too old and will soon be retiring, I think we will see a lot of fresh faces in teams in a few years. As for neway, they said williams have been struggling with their aero stuff, but he's hardly made a big impact recently at mclaren as you said, their cars have been way off the pace for the majority of this year

do you think it is more problems with reliablity and fixing rear wings to there cars, and tyre choices, then things that can be pinned on an "indervidual effort"
i think it was a team.. evreyone of them working together to stuff this season up.

sameerrao 08-17-2004 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by possessed_beaver
Quote:

Originally Posted by mindgam3
Quote:

do you think it is more problems with reliablity and fixing rear wings to there cars, and tyre choices, then things that can be pinned on an "indervidual effort"
i think it was a team.. evreyone of them working together to stuff this season up.

Well a man in Adrian Newey's position as the Technical Director is responsible for coordinating all elements of the car design and provide the roadmap to future technical enhancement.

But he hasn't come up with anything special since 1998/1999. All his attempts for revolutionary change has come to nought. Sure the Mclaren has improved say a second and a half per lap per year but when Ferrari improves by 3 secs it is not good enough.

Sure a lot of the blame for this season can be blamed on a lack of power from the Mercedes engine and attrocious reliability. But some of the poor reliability is due to very tight rear cowl design which is causing the engines to overheat. Mercedes have gone off the boil after the death of the key Ilmor technical partner.

But engine apart, the Mclaren drivers were complaints of the MP4-19 were that the cars very difficult on the entry to corners and mid-corner. David mentioned understeer with oversteer midway through the corner. These can be attributed to weight balance front and rear, suspension settings, aero grip. All these are under the control of Mclaren.

Mclarens also use up their rear tyres more than the Renaults - again suspension issues.

Also in a race without technical issues (not many come to mind :P ), Mclaren has not really shown any special speed.

As the technical director, Newey needs to channel Mercedes, Mclaren and Michelin to get the most out of the car.

I hope the luck of Mclaren, Williams and Renault will change .. I want Ferrari to win but with a fight like last year :D

Toronto 08-18-2004 10:21 PM

In other news,
There is another.... Ayrton's nephew begins a racing career
http://www.f1central.net/news/1092848060.html - full story, it would be great to see how he does i hope he has some skill, not just all hype :P

possessed_beaver 08-19-2004 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toronto
In other news,
There is another.... Ayrton's nephew begins a racing career
http://www.f1central.net/news/1092848060.html - full story, it would be great to see how he does i hope he has some skill, not just all hype :P

im guessing it will all be hype, and living in the shadow of what was a great racer!

dulja 08-19-2004 01:58 AM

i believe that jaques villen is returning to bar!!!!!!!

possessed_beaver 08-19-2004 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulja
i believe that jaques villen is returning to bar!!!!!!!

well nothing is set yet - he is begging them to join by the sounds of it.

and the whole jenson button thing has to get settled yet.
i rely hope that williams can pull of some wins next year!

chipanggo 08-24-2004 09:22 PM

according to F1Racing.net, Ferrari's Jean Todt and "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" star, Michelle Yeoh are an "item". :D

sameerrao 08-24-2004 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipanggo
according to F1Racing.net, Ferrari's Jean Todt and "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" star, Michelle Yeoh are an "item". :D

I saw it somewhere else - isnt he married - I know he has a kid ...

chipanggo 08-24-2004 10:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipanggo

I saw it somewhere else - isnt he married - I know he has a kid ...

from what i recall, he does have a son. maybe he's separated from his wife.

5vz-fe 08-24-2004 10:31 PM

Damn, I wonder how they meet......film festival? F1 Race Weekend?

chipanggo 08-24-2004 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
Damn, I wonder how they meet......film festival? F1 Race Weekend?

they met in shanghai when ferrari went there to run their F1 cars.

Toronto 08-30-2004 09:39 PM

i heard JV is going to NASCAR next year, that is sad :oops:

sameerrao 08-31-2004 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toronto
i heard JV is going to NASCAR next year, that is sad :oops:

Source?