Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   What Do You Drive Or Ride ? (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Finally, my first car! E36 320i *bad news update* (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34477)

gucom 02-05-2006 07:53 PM

congratz m8 :D this series of BMW's is still pretty nice imo, after that they really started looking like fat pigs...but a nice car :D

yg60m 02-06-2006 02:23 AM

Congrats stradale, nice choice :D

stradale 02-06-2006 03:46 AM

Thanks for the comments! I just drove it to work and it's so much better a means of transportation than the cramped local train (with some moronic locals on board every time) and the bus (littered with school kids), which I used to take to get here. Plus, it's 30 minutes faster.

@ Dani: No mods planned. When I look around at other E36s, it's almost like it's one of the few to look original. Besides, I like the wheels. Somehow they don't really come across in pictures, but in reality they look nice. I'm not going to change the muffler either. The engine sounds great as it is. If I want to hear more of it, I'd rather change the intake than the exhaust.

Shinigami 02-06-2006 04:37 AM

Drive safe! :)

TT 02-06-2006 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stradale
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
great choice stradale, congrats :D

The only thing i can tell you to look out for is the rear tail light assemblies where the sockets lock into contact strips. The brake light sockets will begin to heat up and melt and pit the contact strips. It will cause an intermittent "one brake light fail" or similar message in the check control. Also, if you get a "Brake Light Circuit" message, the brake light switch is bad.

Other than that i don't think you'll have many problems with her :D Enjoy your new car :D

Thanks, Zfrk!

I did have a message about the brake lights in the check control, but they worked fine and check control is not. :lol: I heard it's prone to failure and I'm afraid mine is no exception.

I always have that message too :D

MIHALS 02-06-2006 11:38 AM

congrats stradale!!! nice car, looking like new, non-riced :D what else you can wish...?

I definitelly want to buy a BMW one day, so maybe an e36 will be the choice together with e39. I have some experience on the snow with rwd and can't wait to have some more :D

take care of your new baby!!!

redbaron 02-06-2006 01:21 PM

Congratulations Stradale, good looking car especially for that money.

I checked ou some 320i's myself and as you said, almost all of them are rised M3 wannabees or worse. This one looks really good, I agree with clear indicator lights at the front do look better. For this car however I think you will start to ruin the original look.

Have fun with it!!

1zippo1 02-06-2006 02:14 PM

Congrats!!! That's a real car enthousiast choice.

It seems to be in good state and the E36 styling is one that ages well IMO. I even think the status of the E36 is actually getting better because you don't see them around that often as before.

Enjoy it!!

stradale 02-06-2006 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thamar
For your indicators & rear lights, www.offenga.nl I have some good experience with them and they're not expensive...

LOL! A friend of mine goes there for maintenance of his E34. Franeker is the place I grew up in, before I went to university. My parents live a stone's throw away from where Offenga is situated! Funny for it to be recommended by someone from Belgium then. :D

I haven't decided yet on what I am or am not going to change. First, I'll take care of the small spots of rust. Then we'll see. In any case, it's not going to be radical or out of the ordinary.

BTW, the car's dirty as hell again! :P

bmwmpower 02-06-2006 02:45 PM

nice car,thanks for pics

stradale 02-06-2006 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TT
Quote:

Originally Posted by stradale
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
great choice stradale, congrats :D

The only thing i can tell you to look out for is the rear tail light assemblies where the sockets lock into contact strips. The brake light sockets will begin to heat up and melt and pit the contact strips. It will cause an intermittent "one brake light fail" or similar message in the check control. Also, if you get a "Brake Light Circuit" message, the brake light switch is bad.

Other than that i don't think you'll have many problems with her :D Enjoy your new car :D

Thanks, Zfrk!

I did have a message about the brake lights in the check control, but they worked fine and check control is not. :lol: I heard it's prone to failure and I'm afraid mine is no exception.

I always have that message too :D

LOL They really are alike, your Beemer and mine. :D

I paid better attention today and it says "checkcontrol inaktiv". It's inactive, but somehow it knows it is and tells you that. The longer you think about it, it makes less and less sense. :lol:

stradale 02-06-2006 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbaron
This one looks really good, I agree with clear indicator lights at the front do look better. For this car however I think you will start to ruin the original look.

That's exactly how I look at it. I don't know what it's going to be. Anyway, if I do decide to replace them, I'll keep the original ones with the car. Same with the steering wheel and so on.

fireguy 02-06-2006 03:02 PM

congrats! - i have a '95 320i (black on black) and you'll love taking on twisty roads with this car.........my car seems to get "smaller" and more agile the harder i push it through a bend :) good choice!

sikx5 02-07-2006 09:46 AM

Great looking ride dude, Car looks super clean. I bought my bro a set of clear lights for his E36 also, check out eBay :good:

Wutputt 02-12-2006 09:11 AM

Your first car is always something special. Enjoy it as much as you can :)