PDA

View Full Version : The Need For Speed...

N.J.
05-03-2004, 05:20 AM
I loved the original 'Need For Speed' - it wasn't until 2000, when EA brought out Porsche Unleashed that I left the original...for a while.

While being a HUGE 911 fan, I did miss the different marques and the 3 Open road tracks.

I remember writing to EA in '98 explaining why the '96 Porsche 911 (993) Turbo should be included. I backed up my case with stats, tables, car mag reviews - it wasn't fair, the Ferrari 355 had already been in twice!

I dreamed of swapping the 270hp rwd 993 Carrera for the 408hp awd 993 Turbo and taking on the Lamborghini Diablo VT and crushing my best times on all the tracks/roads.

(For example, in Australia's Targa Tasmania 1997, a Mazda RX7 driver said that in the 1st 400 metres, they consistently lost 10 seconds to the Porsche 911 Turbo!!!)

My wish came true in 2000, as the 993 Turbo was one of many 911s included in 'Porsche Unleashed'. The graphics/sound/handling was everything I ever dreamed of...but something still brings me back to the original NFS from 1995...

...I think I liked the open road circuits of the original better + the rivalry of the different marques with their distinct handling characteristics.

If I had to pick between the original and the Porsche 2000, it would be a VERY difficult decision indeed.

I think the original is the best overall game, but technically, Porsche Unleashed is a lot better (particulary the Graphics - ie. '95 -vs- '00! )

So in summary, my perfect NFS would have the original open road circuits (with Bathurst/'old' Nurburgring) with current graphics, physics from either the original or Porsche Unleashed (all the other NFS's are arcade games not simulators like the 2 I have mentioned - they are made by a totally different group of EA programmers) and with the following cars;

McLaren F1
Pagoni Zonda
Mercedes CLK GTR
Lamborghini's Diablo VT/Diablo SV/Murchielago/Gallardo
Ferrari's 355/360/550/F40/F50/Enzo
Porsche 911's (from Porsche Unleashed -including 959- + more recent models)
BMW's M3/M5
Dodge Viper GTS
Lotus Elise/Exige
Toyota Supra Turbo
Nissan Skyline GTR R33/R34
Honda NSX
Mazda RX7
Mitsubushi Lancer Evo (any will do)
Subaru Impreza WRX/STI (pre bug-eye model & post)
Mini Cooper S
Renault Clio Sport
Ford Falcon BA XR6 Turbo/XR8/V8 Supercar/GT/'68 390 GT Fastback
HSV Commodore/V8 Supercar

p.s

No concept car shit!, no bullshit volcano fantasy loop tracks with cops chasing you around and circles or 'big air' jumps or crappy pointsy-arcadey mode rubbish....just a top notch simulator like Gran Turismo for the PC (with dashboards and the option of using a clutch like in 'Grand Prix Legends)

garybb
05-03-2004, 10:41 AM
you didn't include a option for 'no.. any NFS sucks ass' so I can't vote :?

crazidude
05-03-2004, 08:50 PM

lol I have to agree with that. My friend said that NFSU rocks and I kicked him in the leg for saying that.
I've played quite a few NFS games, and I've been disappointed everytime. Luckily I just borrow these games off my friends and I never bought em yet.

AlienDB7
05-03-2004, 09:21 PM
I'm not sure what to say about the orig NFS (the pre EA days). It was good but not that good. However, the porsche unleashed one is excellent. IMO, it's the best NFS ever. A good balance between fun and realistic handling.

lambo4levi
05-03-2004, 09:31 PM
NFS: Hot pursuit 2 was good but on your car list i would also put in a 2004 koenigsegg ccr :shock: and instead of the Dodge Viper GTS i would place a SRT-10 :twisted: but other than that i mostly agree with that u said mang :lol:

sameerrao
05-04-2004, 01:57 AM
I like the Porsche variant the best for its realism - the cars handle really close to the original - if you lift the throttle slightly thru a turn it will rotate the car a bit - drive by throttle dreams realized. I tried the same thing in the real world on a friends boxster on a second gear corner and it reacted the same way.... :mrgreen:

It was the best game for me till I discovered Grand Prix Legends and Gran Turismo 3.

N.J.
05-04-2004, 04:29 AM

That's why I didn't include 'NO' :wink:

p.s

Have you played the original Need For Speed & Need For Speed 5 - Porsche Unleashed? (they are very good sims, not arcade crap)

I agree with you on all the other NFS's though.

N.J.
05-04-2004, 04:32 AM
I like the Porsche variant the best for its realism - the cars handle really close to the original - if you lift the throttle slightly thru a turn it will rotate the car a bit - drive by throttle dreams realized. I tried the same thing in the real world on a friends boxster on a second gear corner and it reacted the same way.... :mrgreen:

It was the best game for me till I discovered Grand Prix Legends and Gran Turismo 3.

I liked 'Grand Prix Legends' too...particulary for the realistic physics, the option for using the clutch and for the awesome 22.8 'old' Nurburgring circuit.

Haven't played Gran Turismo 3 yet...is it as good as everybody says it is?

N.J.
05-04-2004, 04:37 AM

lol I have to agree with that. My friend said that NFSU rocks and I kicked him in the leg for saying that.
I've played quite a few NFS games, and I've been disappointed everytime. Luckily I just borrow these games off my friends and I never bought em yet.

Like I've said before - I've been very disappointed with EVERY NFS game - except - the original NFS and Porsche Unleashed.

You see, the original NFS & Porsche Unleashed are the only true sims in the series - makes sense when you realise that all the other NFS's were made by a totally different group from EA - I agree, the others are shit!

hwe
05-04-2004, 04:48 AM
Like I've said before - I've been very disappointed with EVERY NFS game - except - the original NFS and Porsche Unleashed.

You see, the original NFS & Porsche Unleashed are the only true sims in the series - makes sense when you realise that all the other NFS's were made by a totally different group from EA - I agree, the others are shit!

Played the original NFS lots on my playstation years ago, and played through Porsche Unleashed. I think they were good and fun games, but wouldn't describe them as "true sims". I would say they are still arcade games, but more realistic than the rest of the series.

husyk
05-05-2004, 11:49 PM
I haven't played the Need For Speed, I've played and still have NFS 2-7, 6 is on the PS2, rest are on PC. I found NFS HP2 the best overall, NFS PU was pretty good, but got boring since all you got were Porsches and there are no intense cops. I loved being chased by cops in NFS3 and NFS6, and loved controling a group of squad cars in NFS4.

shaikhmoiz
05-06-2004, 12:19 AM
p.s

Have you played the original Need For Speed & Need For Speed 5 - Porsche Unleashed? (they are very good sims, not arcade crap)

yep I played that and I still don't see why everyone raves over it :?

RC45
05-06-2004, 01:32 AM
Let's put this into perspective - at the time of their release, the NFS 1, 2 and 3 franchises were amazing in their time.

Especially on the PC, as soon as the car mods and track mods arrived.

It is very difficult to look back and judge a 9 year old game with todays "eyes".

The "Hot Pursuit" versions began the downward slide - culminating in the abortion that is call NFS-Under Ground...

:)

v0od0o
05-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Let's put this into perspective - at the time of their release, the NFS 1, 2 and 3 franchises were amazing in their time.

Well I think Porsche Unleashed is still excellent even by today's standard, the handling was awesome!

Ziploc
05-08-2004, 07:35 PM
http://lfs.racesimcentral.com/content/weekpics/rb4_bwrallyx.jpg

LFS owns me

totally blows away any NFS game in the driving involvment department

RC45
05-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Although the "configuration and install" to get LFS working decently is a huge turnoff.

I am quite impressed with the polish and finish of the interface on GTR....

SFDMALEX
05-09-2004, 11:18 AM
What can I say. I loved NFS 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. but they are just GOOD aracde racers. Nothing to do with simulation.