PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Chevrolet Corvette Test drive*images up

nthfinity
04-28-2004, 09:54 PM
EDIT: Images up...

http://www.jabbasworld.net/photopost/data/501/6079landscape_vette-med.jpg
http://www.jabbasworld.net/photopost/data/501/6079rear_view_2-med.jpg
http://www.jabbasworld.net/photopost/data/501/6079rear_wheel-med.jpg

today i test drove a 1990 Vette in a burgandy finish, 5.7L LT-1 with a replaced cam, exhaust, and intake. i started 'er up to hear the immediate low burble which encurages the masculinity in me to grunt. i examined the details... the body is in pristine condition as a 70,000 mile 14 year old performance thuroughbred. not a sign of rust on the exhaust headers, long lenth intake runners, and a nose forward air filter. beautiful.

the engine sits so far back, even further then the 4th gen F bodies ive driven in the past. this is true, while also retaining more ease of manuvering around the powerplant in doings something so simple as changing spark plugs. with the hood open, the engine in a distant rumble begging to be driven, i notice the massive front tires/wheels... 275 Z rated michelins... simply huge! i can only imagine at this point that this is more then a muscular beast, but an accute handler as well. the hood shuts with the ease of dry ice on a table top.

looking under her belly, i see a few signs of age, but also that she was well taken care of... a definate garage kept secret when the weather wasnt so proud. the ride hight is so low, lower then anything ive driven before. i wonder things like will she have much roll, will it understeer? this is answered, i believe, by further inspection of the rear. the suspension is stiff... very stiff, and i am getting more excited. i read the nubmers on the tires... again, 275 michelins. most interesting, i would tend to believe that this would now evoke oversteer rather then my prevous guestimate. it is, however, important to note that these tires werent new, but the have not yet worn to warrent a new set just yet. i wonder back behind this car, and the exhaust is stainless steel, ideal. im already imagining driving this beast around the local ciurcuit, wanning out of turn 5 into a straight, then a set of S turns...

then engine is properly warmed up now, the thermostat suggests about 200 degrees. getting in is easier then i expected, but at 6' 2" i conversly had less headroom then i had hoped... but this is an enthusiasts car, im glad im not growing anymore. i immediately notice the tackometer is reading 1800 revs for idle. this cirtainly didnt match the sound i was hearing. when reving the engine, i notice how freely it matches the sound you hope for... deep, and engaging, and definately loud! this is some Detroit Muscle, and there are no doubts to that. the seats are quite bolstering on the sides to hold my body in place under heavy lateral load, and the arm rest is perfectly placed for my hand to reach the 6 speed Berg-Warner transmission. it slides with ease... the mear pressure of a few fingers will throw it into gear. perfect.

the interior shows its age more so then the undercarriage. the threads in the passenger seat are coming loose, the leather looks warn, and the shifter is missing its diagram. she has been driven, there is no doubts to that. i see a digital displaying the readout of my velocity... currently 0. this oldy reminds me of the lincoln Mark VII. im not perticlarly fond of that, but its tollerable. everything is purposely aimed to the driver, there is little symmetry between the driver, and passenger sides. good. the car had A/C, but decided i didnt want to test it for this drive. there is luggage space in the rear hatch. enough, i think, unless i plan on going camping with the vette. there is no spare tire that i can see. another thing i can live with, as long as my insurance has road-side assistance. i look up, and see a removable glass-top. simply amazing! the view seems un-hindered in all directions, including up. i would just wonder; do other drivers see me?

i look over to the salesmen, and i smile. "lets go"
the clutch seems flawlessly mated to the transmission. but its a shorter push then i expected from a performance car. i always hear of cars like this having maccho steering, clutch, and brake. this isnt quite the case. it pushes with the ease of a Saab 9000 turbo. i pull out of the lot, hindered by traffic. "which way?" i ask, "where ever you want." that answers that. even in the heavy commuter rush our traffic, which pales in comparison to metro detroit, i am able to wind the gears up nicely... but not yet under a heavy foot. i turn right on the entrance ramp of US 131 south, and i gun it. first comes quickly, the digi mp/h guage jumps in sets of 8s at first. powershifting into second, the rear wheels let me know they dont have that much traction! adrenal glands pumping, third---> im merging on the highway... how fast am i going? fourth... im going way to fast. i put it into 6th, and cruise down to a more legal speed. i look over to the sales representative, and he has as much of smile on his face as i do. the steering is accurate at highway speeds, and the ratio is quick, but she easily stays on the straight. this car is what i want!

my exit is coming up, a specialty exit... 25mph recomended speed limited bank on an up-hill climb. i hope she will shine here. i slide out of 6th, brake, tap the revs, bam! im in second just by ear and feel. there are no jerks, or clunks. thanks to the tall gearing, second is appropriet. turn in is crisp, and immediate. there is no body-roll to wait for, and the steering has great feedback on what the front tires are doing. it goes where i tell it to, and i'm nowhere near the limit! i gas it cautiously as it isnt my vehicle, and i dont know 'er behaviors. im going 58 mph on this turn without hearing or feeling anything but neutral steer! some people claim outrageos velocites on these exits, one boasting a speed of 80+ in an A4... my speed may pale to that comparison, but this experience is far from bull. the turn is over... for now :twisted: i go over the bridge, and stay in the exit lane to head back north. another right hander, this time on a downward attack. just as sharp as before, but now i can finish the turn with a roaring entrance. i know she does 58 no problem, so i manage to keep that, and push a little more. 63 mph on the downward initially... i continued accelerating... wow, ive never needed bucket seats before this! im chaging direction like a fly! i merge back onto the freeway, slam into 3rd again...then i taper off. if i wanted to go faster, i'd need a race track or the autobhan! (not in USA :-( )

back on an exit ramp for 25mph recomended speeds. brake... oh the feel of the brakes are immence! its like pushing a rock, but the rock revealing feedback of every crack. it stops quickly, more so then any car ive driven. ive read it has 4 wheel disc abs... they didnt activate once! again, im circling the ramp on an upward camber, but on a less aggressive note to merge with normal road traffic... 65, 60, 55... hold that note for a few seconds, 50.. im on the road, and back to the dealer.

Brett, my salesman mentions something about a cd changer, but i dont remember.. he must have tapered off with my lack of enthusiasm about it. he ran the numbers by me... $14,998 was his asking price. ive since KBB'd it at dealer sales at $9,495. at that price, this seems like it could be a reality, and put me among the ranks of corvette loving owners.

what an exhilerating drive. now i know why corvette drivers are so happy with their car. this puts any muscle car ive driven to shame... perhaps not in straight line acceleration, but in stance. the corvette is really a super car, and with some engine tuning, it can keep up with the power hitters of the exotic world. not only can it keep up with them, but it also provides the exact same smile accross my face. does this mean i dont concider Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini my favorite cars? no, far from it... but now i have an attainable dream machine. the fun just doesnt cease! as i make enough to buy this car, im going to try to get it... my biggest hinderence to this is one thing. i have no credit history :oops: ... so here goes convincing my father :wink:

*********my life will no longer be the same!!!!**********

EDIT: unfortunately, very bad timing to buy a car... :-(

Mopsdrops
05-01-2004, 01:31 PM
thats an BIG story! it must be fun to drive an Corvette. My dad's friend has an Stringray, it hasses an nice sound to, but it ain't that fast. i'll hope for you, you could buy later an nice Corvette, nthfinity !

nthfinity
05-01-2004, 01:47 PM
fun barely describes it!!!!

now that i think about it, i dont think it was an LT 1 .....but whatever came before that as a 350 cid... the intake runners are different on this vette.... when its a nice day, and if it still is there, im going to take some photos of it...

RC45
05-01-2004, 01:54 PM
The 1990 cars came with L98's... or LT5's - but I am sure you would have recognized a ZR1... ;)

corvette97
05-01-2004, 01:55 PM
nice to read another vete story!!, get it plz, that vette seems to be the prefect option!

nthfinity
05-01-2004, 10:18 PM
The 1990 cars came with L98's... or LT5's - but I am sure you would have recognized a ZR1...

yes, the ZR-1's LT5 is one hell of a beastly motor!!! very easy to spot it, as no other chevy block looks like it :wink:

nice to read another vete story!!, get it plz, that vette seems to be the prefect option!

thankyou much, Corvette97 im glad you enjoyed it. i agree it does seem to be the perfect option in so many ways

interesting tid-bit \/
ford: why did you buy the Mustang?
Mustang owner: because i couldn't afford a Corvette
:wink: