PDA

View Full Version : Stock Exhaust vs. Straight Pipes

hemi_fan
04-24-2004, 10:08 PM
When I bought my car, it had a set of custom straight pipes on it, that came from the catalytic converters right to the back and curved down before my GT Skirt, but to certify the car, I had to spend $600 in order to have them put stock mufflers on it, so it would pass... I asked them to save the straight pipes, and now the car barely makes any noise... What should I do?

a) Leave the stock exhaust.
b) Stock exhaust but put on some Flowmasters
c) Try to throw the old straight-pipes back on there

I realize there will be a slight, but probably insignificant power difference with the different pipes, but what I'm aiming for here is sound. so what would sound better?? (Engine is stock btw).

nthfinity
04-24-2004, 10:13 PM
straight pipes with a 2 chamber exhaust from magnaflow, or borla:)

some people feel the magnaflow sounds like a grumble witha whine like a supercharger... which is great if you have one... but id say borla for a 5.0

RC45
04-24-2004, 10:19 PM
You spent the money - so just throw the straight pipe back on, and save the stock system for next years inspection time... ;)

FoxFour
04-24-2004, 11:52 PM
Can Canadians use CARB certified mid pipes and still pass emissions? Unless you have surprise inspections, throw the straight pipe back on and put a Flowmaster cat back in there.

Nocturn
04-25-2004, 12:21 AM
I say leave a exhaust that will pass on, otherwise your just spending money for no reason. Easiest thing to do is run some cut-outs before the cats if you want, or an offroad pipe that you can put it its place come inspection time.

RC45
04-25-2004, 12:42 AM
I say leave a exhaust that will pass on, otherwise your just spending money for no reason. Easiest thing to do is run some cut-outs before the cats if you want, or an offroad pipe that you can put it its place come inspection time.

He has already spent the money... ;)

So he may as well get the enjoyment of the straaight pipes - until next inspection time...

Nocturn
04-25-2004, 01:13 AM

So he may as well get the enjoyment of the straaight pipes - until next inspection time...

My point exactly, hes going to keep wasting money to put the other two system on every time he needs to get it inspected I say get a system that will pass you so you can save the money.

RC45
04-25-2004, 01:36 AM

My point exactly, hes going to keep wasting money to put the other two system on every time he needs to get it inspected I say get a system that will pass you so you can save the money.

Uhm - wtf are you saying?

He already has the other exhaust - paid for - so why not use it?

Where is this "extra" money he will have to keep spending to if he already owns both exhaust systems?

:roll:

Swapping pipes is probably the second easiest thing after an oil change.

hemi - you waited so long for the 'Stang - go enjoy that V8 sound - and learn how to replace your exhaust system into the bargain... ;)

Here at JW we are not pussies... :P and do not shy away from the technical requirements of our cars... :P

Let's hear that V8 of yours ROAR!!!

Nocturn
04-25-2004, 03:09 AM
Well I weld all my pipes in aside from the collector/xpipe connection so I simply assumed that was what he was going to do, and unless he knows how to weld which I would say 95% of people don't then it would cost money to get done, that was what I was talking about.

RC45
04-25-2004, 03:19 AM
Well I weld all my pipes in aside from the collector/xpipe connection so I simply assumed that was what he was going to do, and unless he knows how to weld which I would say 95% of people don't then it would cost money to get done, that was what I was talking about.

Then maybe you should go for flange or collar assemblies next time. *shrug*

Nocturn
04-25-2004, 04:56 AM
I probably would go that way with a cat if I needed to put on one. As for now I am happy with my current setup.

hemi_fan
04-25-2004, 10:15 AM
The welding would not be a problem if I find a piece to put on the end of the straight pipe, because it bolts onto the car very easily, and Im not a very good welder, but the welding teacher at school is a friend of mine and im sure he'll be able to hook me up. Then all I have to do is get the car into my auto shop for a period, up on the hoist, and pull the old one off and do the swap... The only problem is I think i'm going to have to buy a pipe to weld onto the end of the straight pipe where it was cut, so where would I look for something like that? OR should I just leave the straight pipe short, and not even bother having it coming all the way to the rear skirt?

nthfinity
04-25-2004, 01:10 PM
ive 'seen' one interesting straight pipe on a 92 5.0. to begin with, the car was far from stock, and it was the most amazing sounding engine i have ever heard. the pipes were actually aimed down at the ground somewhere near the driving position. at idle the exhaust rumbled the pavement :shock:

hemi_fan
04-25-2004, 02:29 PM
OO, that would be cool... Just need to get some dumps up near the front of the car... very interesting.