PDA

View Full Version : HELP! what to do when cd drive crashes?!?

liloutlaws
04-20-2004, 05:32 AM
My laptop's cd-drive won't register in Windows XP, says there is an error. So uninstalling and then reinstalling the cd drive doesn't do anything. So I want to try and reformat, but how can I do that when the cd-rom doesn't work? I tried using an external cd-drive plugged into the usb port and then dLing drivers from the internet..but that didn't work either. Seems like all cd-roms just won't register. How can I fix this problem? Thanks!

Erez
04-20-2004, 03:51 PM
if you CD is ok then try looking for a driver on the net.. but it could be that the CD-rom is just fucked.. (check in dos if you can get access to the CD-rom)

liloutlaws
04-21-2004, 12:16 AM
i can't...and i already tried dLing drivers...i think the laptop is just virused up and needs to be formatted

Erez
04-21-2004, 12:23 AM
well you can format it with out a CD-ROM unless you have more then one HDD (or have splited yours C: D: E: etc) and a copy of win98 or something one one of the HDD's..

PATo355
04-21-2004, 12:31 AM
Try using a new driver , or reinstall Windows Xp , if that does not work then is a hardware problem , almost 99.99% of cd roms are detected by windows

RC45
04-21-2004, 01:16 AM
Re-installing / formatting to fix "a malfunctioning" CD drive is foolish.

Why risk the loss of data - try swap out the CD drive first.

Hardware does fail.

liloutlaws
04-21-2004, 04:31 AM
okay just to clear everyone up on what I have tried...
i already tried reinstalling drivers
adding an external cd-drive and reinstalling drivers

but my OS is not detecting either drive when I try to access it from windows explorer. The OS does know that both are there and even says that the external cd drive is operating normally.

that is why i think there is an OS problem. Since my mom just handed me this laptop there's a bunch of viruses that i want to wipe clean. So I want to format regardless....

i'm going to try and do the hardware swap and then if that fails try a network boot..if anyone knows how to do that....

any other suggestions?

v0od0o
04-29-2004, 10:43 AM
I was going to suggest a quick virus scan, I saw a couple of viruses before that could cause that to happen. You don't have a cdrom so you can't install something you have on a cd, but you can always download a demo version of NAV, update with the latest updates from the web and give it a shot....

liloutlaws
04-30-2004, 12:11 AM
I was going to suggest a quick virus scan, I saw a couple of viruses before that could cause that to happen. You don't have a cdrom so you can't install something you have on a cd, but you can always download a demo version of NAV, update with the latest updates from the web and give it a shot....

as in virus could cause cd rom to not register? i'll give it a shot, thanks!

v0od0o
05-08-2004, 06:02 PM
let us know how it turns out ;)

liloutlaws
05-12-2004, 03:18 AM
never could find a place to dL free demo of NAV or MCAFFEE...i was thinking of conneting hd to my computer and formatting it like that. or use partition magic, partion and install xp onto that and then format the main drive again.

v0od0o
05-15-2004, 06:10 AM
check out this for a trial version of Nav2004
http://nct.digitalriver.com/0001/

PATo355
05-15-2004, 04:46 PM
I think the cd rom drive just broke up , maybe you should try getting a new one

liloutlaws
05-16-2004, 06:36 AM
i will try that...but i don't think that's the problem..b/c installing a external cd rom drive didn't fix anything either...win xp just doesn't recognize that it was installed.

s13sr20det
05-17-2004, 08:21 PM
1. Check drivers
2. Check Hardware Connection
3. If you have Windows XP and can restore back to a date where you remember it working do that. Oddly enough this does work once in a while.
3a. If you have Windows 98 or Win Me do a dirty re-install by going into C:\WINDOWS\OPTION\CABS\setup.exe

**You need to have your Windows Product Key. You can get this by going to run, type in "regedit" search the registry for "productkey" once you find this write it down, it will be something like
"A92S1-A4F68-GDF45-AD6AS" it should be in the "LOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT_VE RSION\"
part of the registry.
4. If you think it is virus related download AVG free edition from www.grisoft.com and run it. Works great and doesn't cost anything.

5. If your browser is highjacked download CWShredder.exe, highjackthis.exe and run them.
6. AdAware 6.0 is a great tool for removing spyware.

666fast
05-17-2004, 08:48 PM
Smash it with a hammer.
Don't have a hammer? Any hard, blunt instrument will work. Like bricks or a shovel.

nthfinity
05-17-2004, 11:48 PM
my personal favorite 'what to do with useless technology' is throw from a parking garage :) man i wish i had a video of those hitting the concrete :oops: :shock:

ive never had hardware fail on me~~~~~~~im lying :)
3 fans have failed on me, and my roommate keeps killing hard drives (working on drive #4 in the last 3 months

the other roommate had a HDD failuer that i directely blame the OEM company for being "fucking iditots" for some god unkown reason, the wrapped the Hard drive in a 'protective' rubber skin... perfect for insulation of the heat it produces!

cd drives are reletively inexpensive, so id recomend just going to either a local computer chop shop, or ebay to find one that will fit your laptop

liloutlaws
05-18-2004, 04:21 AM
well i've checked drivers, did the virus check..there were a bunch as i suspected..cleaned those..and it still doesn't work.. i just need to reformat.. right now my first option is to first use another cd-drive w/ this laptop..if that doesn't work i'm thinking about taking the harddrive out stick it into my computer and format it like that. what you guys think?

666fast
05-18-2004, 04:10 PM
I think you are better off buying a new one and starting from there.

liloutlaws
05-24-2004, 06:38 PM
well good news guys...i fixed my own problem...apparently it was throwing an error code 19. i looked up the problem at the microsoft website and apparently i just had to delete some registry files and now everything works fine. Thanks for the help tho guys much appreciated!

liloutlaws
05-24-2004, 06:39 PM
well good news guys...i fixed my own problem...apparently it was throwing an error code 19. i looked up the problem at the microsoft website and apparently i just had to delete some registry files and now everything works fine. Thanks for the help tho guys much appreciated!

v0od0o
05-25-2004, 07:37 AM
great! I knew it was not hardware related. Good for you :)

stracing
05-25-2004, 08:00 AM
is it possible for cd-rom to break when reading corrupt cd's?

i was watching a corrupt vcd, gave me an error and now my drive doesn't work. in bios is don't think its recognising it because it have an exclamation mark and it won't boot my recovery cds.

v0od0o
05-25-2004, 02:36 PM
is it possible for cd-rom to break when reading corrupt cd's?

Maybe it wasn't a corrupt vcd after all. maybe the cd-rom begad to break down while reading it....

stracing
05-25-2004, 10:49 PM
it is currupt, doesn't play thru on a dvd player

liloutlaws
05-27-2004, 06:29 AM
well it might be something wrong w/ the registry i dunno... on the microsoft website it says that code 19 can be caused by uninstalling certain programs. does your device manager even see the device? if so you might want to look up what error code its giving and look it up on the microsoft website

stracing
05-27-2004, 06:49 AM
it can see it

even when i unistall it and reboot. it will reinstall and in the end it says "your device is ready to use" (something along those lines).

i'm quessing because its corrupt it screwed the motor. i think its not even spinning, coz when i put the disc in and then eject, 10/10 times its in the same position as i put it in.

v0od0o
05-27-2004, 08:43 AM
you should hear it if it spins up when you insert a cd. If not it's probably screwed....

liloutlaws
05-28-2004, 12:59 AM
so it says device is working properly? try going to the cd-driver's website and look at their product support or IT page..it might give you some tech support or help.

stracing
05-28-2004, 02:58 AM
support page suck

they just pointed me back to sony

nvm i still have warranty...i'll just send it back for a fix

liloutlaws
05-29-2004, 05:20 PM
okay well i was going to say go to sony for the support..whoever made the cd-drive but if you have warranty that's even better. just do that and save yourself the hassle