PDA

View Full Version : The Porsche Cayenne Turbo...love it or hate it?

spitfire6000
04-19-2004, 02:35 AM
Ive been noticing ever since the release of the cayenne that many people seem to hate it for one reason or the other, however ive never truly understood what was wrong with it.

"The Cayenne Turbo is powered by a 4.5-liter twin-turbo Cayenne V8. Maximum power of 450 hp is obtained at 6,000 rpm, preceded by 460 lb-ft of torque all the way from 2,250 to 4,750 rpm. With Tiptronic S, the Cayenne Turbo takes just 5.5 seconds to reach 62 mph with a top track speed of 165 mph." -from porsche.com

Technically, this is the fastest production SUV in the world. If you have seen the top gear episode where they actually test the turbo on both track and offroad you would see that it does in fact have porsche worth handling and performance. But along with that, it can also go completely offroad unlike many other sport-utes. And for once, a porsche interior is actually spacious and luxurious, while still prividing plenty of grip on the passengers.

http://www3.us.porsche.com/english/usa/cayenne/cayenneturbo/comfort/bilder/sitze_foto1_zoom.jpg

http://www3.us.porsche.com/english/usa/cayenne/cayenneturbo/comfort/bilder/sitze_foto3_zoom.jpg

Ive test driven the turbo personally, and all it feels like is a 911 on stilts. The suspension is still tight as a motherfcker, and although it cant handle exactly as well as a 911, it still beats most sports cars in its price range.

So what do u think is wrong with this car? Do you think porsche was wrong to introduce it into its lineup? Do you think the trend of sports car manufacturers making suvs will grow?

DeMoN
04-19-2004, 02:40 AM
I think that its looks are wrong. And I also think this is a repost. TT sure will confirm =)

crazidude
04-19-2004, 02:56 AM
To me, and quite a few others, the looks is what's wrong with the Cayenne. There's nothing wrong with the interior or the engine. I think those two things are rather beautiful, but the fact that it looks like crap puts me off. Even it's the fastest car in the world I don't think I'll like it much.

I don't think it was a bad I dea for Porsche to introduce an SUV. Porsche gave SUVs a new image, speed. The Cayenne goes a lot faster and probably handles better than quite a few sports cars, but still bein an SUV.

I don't think that making SUVs will be a trend considering the gas prices nowadays. Also, if another sport car manufactuer is to make an SUV it will need to be faster than the Cayenne to make a statement, which I think will be hard to do.

TT
04-19-2004, 07:51 AM
I think that its looks are wrong. And I also think this is a repost. TT sure will confirm =)

Yes, quite old discussion..

But anyway, I love the Cayenne :D

sikx5
04-19-2004, 08:44 AM
yet another ugly porsche :|

PATo355
04-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Lovely

Porsche_Cayenne
04-19-2004, 09:27 AM
I love it :roll:

callen
04-19-2004, 10:21 AM
i love it as well! but the styling leaves much to be desired....lets hope a MAJOR facelift is in the works for the next model year(or soon neways) otherwise this and the FX45 are the only SUVs id have in my fleet :D (and a Dodge Ram SRT10) 8)

Drive4Ever
04-19-2004, 11:05 AM
i love the power, but still trying to get the look down :)

astonmartinandy
04-19-2004, 12:50 PM
I think the problem is that Porsche to me has "sold its soul" by making an SUV just trying to get the sales. I appreciate its better than the other SUVs or even "sporty" SUVs, but I think Porsche should have stuck with making 911s!

st-anger
04-19-2004, 01:08 PM
well, the Cayenne is more or less a daily driver for me due to my work at PAG, and i just love it :D

i think it´s feasible that i may write a full write-up some day about the Cayenne... 8)

SPEEDKILLAR
04-19-2004, 01:15 PM
First disliked it, but now love it more and more... :D

st-anger
04-19-2004, 01:28 PM
First disliked it, but now love it more and more... :D

as i said b4, i´d love to invite some of you to Leipzig and take you out for a ride in a 955TT on our test track, and afterwards you´d DEFINITELY love it :wink:

it´s simply an amazing ride, and a true performer.....everyone who´s saying it´s not.......hasn´t driven one :twisted:

SPEEDKILLAR
04-19-2004, 01:40 PM
^^^^Who knows, maybe someday some of us may go in to your invitation :wink:

Vansquish
04-19-2004, 02:26 PM
The thing that is wrong with the Cayenne is that it exists. Porsche is a sports car manufacturer, not an SUV maker. The fact that it has a 450bhp twin turbo V8 and is the fastest SUV on the planet is not enough to make up for the fact that it IS AN SUV and it has a slushbox with that engine to boot! Ahhhh yes...then there are the looks. It looks like a fish with braces from the front, it's slab-sided, and the rear end is just fat, nothing particularly interesting. Basically the only redeeming feature of the vehicle is the engine and the offroad capability, which no roadgoing Porsche should have. Granted, the 959 was raced in the Paris-Dakar Rally, and 911's have long competed in rallies, but the fact remains, they were all highly modified versions of the roadcars (the 959 rally car was almost an entirely different model), and the Cayenne is nothing but another ugly, gas-guzzling SUV for people with small penises.

adamwich
04-19-2004, 02:40 PM
I love it

oscargarza88
04-19-2004, 04:57 PM
i like it, the exterior is different which i like but not too different, and i got on one in the houston auto show and to tell u the truth there was nothing really special in the inside, it seemed pretty normal for a porsche, and i think my dad is gonna buy the v6 one

HeilSvenska
04-19-2004, 06:48 PM
The Cayenne should not be even called a Porsche. I think it may be "ok" for a sports car manufacturer to make a sport "utility" vehicle. The problem with cayenne is that it's a mass-market item. The SUV is designed to be a transport for a sport's player's wife's trip to local market. I mean, look at the Lambo LM002. It was a totally extreme machine stricktly for off road, ugly to behold-not in cayenne's near estrogen injected way. And also, only 300 or so were ever produced, over six years. And it ran in Paris-Dakar Rally, employed in army purposes,... but Cayenne is ...nothing right now...it's the new champion of the footballer's wife's dream car (so to speak), over the Lexus RX

spitfire6000
04-20-2004, 11:41 AM
The Cayenne should not be even called a Porsche. I think it may be "ok" for a sports car manufacturer to make a sport "utility" vehicle. The problem with cayenne is that it's a mass-market item. The SUV is designed to be a transport for a sport's player's wife's trip to local market. I mean, look at the Lambo LM002. It was a totally extreme machine stricktly for off road, ugly to behold-not in cayenne's near estrogen injected way. And also, only 300 or so were ever produced, over six years. And it ran in Paris-Dakar Rally, employed in army purposes,... but Cayenne is ...nothing right now...it's the new champion of the footballer's wife's dream car (so to speak), over the Lexus RX

How does that make any sense? At which point did god come down and tell you that suvs are made for sports players wives? From your example i can say that the murcielago is a car for 20 year old girls just because the hilton sisters and all of their friends drive one as a primary car. And i can say the same thing about corvettes as being designed as a car for a middle aged man going through mid-life crisis.

Just because some wemen drive the cayenne, it doesnt make it any less manly than any other porche.

Yes the cayenne has an auto tranny, but its an optional feature for every other porsche except the highend models

DMbaseball1604
04-20-2004, 02:56 PM
I love the Cayenne, I think its the best SUV available, and on top of that it's a Porsche!!

schnell318
04-20-2004, 03:36 PM
Spitfire6000:
You said there´s a Top Gear Episode where they test it both off road and on track... am i missing something here, in the one i have, they do not take it to the track.
Did you just mean on road?

HeilSvenska
04-21-2004, 10:28 AM
At which point did god come down and tell you that suvs are made for sports players wives? From your example i can say that the murcielago is a car for 20 year old girls just because the hilton sisters and all of their friends drive one as a primary car. And i can say the same thing about corvettes as being designed as a car for a middle aged man going through mid-life crisis.

There you go. Murcielago IS a bling-bling car along with any other Mercedeses and Corvette IS a car favored by a middle aged old man and Porsche Cayenne and Lexuses ARE favored by rich people's wives.

I'm not saying that Cayenne is a car exclusively made for rich wives. All I'm saying is that Porsche image has been damaged by rich wives who happen to buy Cayennes.

It's just that I really don't know Cayenne's purpose on earth. Unless Porsche wants to be a known as a brand that makes 4-door cars. Then it would be Porsche's ultimate undoing and its damaged image will be completely whored out and people wouldn't respect Porsche anymore as a sports car company, and not even 911 could save the Porsche that gets more profit from saloon and SUV than 911 and Boxter...I think

spitfire6000
04-21-2004, 02:37 PM
It's just that I really don't know Cayenne's purpose on earth. Unless Porsche wants to be a known as a brand that makes 4-door cars. Then it would be Porsche's ultimate undoing and its damaged image will be completely whored out and people wouldn't respect Porsche anymore as a sports car company, and not even 911 could save the Porsche that gets more profit from saloon and SUV than 911 and Boxter...I think

I think i know where youre coming from here. Well only thing i know up to this point is that the cayenne was in fact made to boost porsche sales, seeing how the suv market is far larger than the sports car market.

Honestly, i dont remember where, but i remember reading that they were making the cayenne as a means of safety because lets be honest here...porsche isnt exactly bmw, who can survive on the sales of the 3 series alone.

normy360
04-22-2004, 01:35 AM
I agree with Crazidude that the Cayenne's looks leave much to be desired. I've driven it and dynamically it is probably the best handling SUV on the market. Porsche had the chance to build the BEST SUV, but blew the styling. To me, it looks like a bubble. It lacks aggression and eye appeal. The interior is nice, but I think the seats could be more comfortable. After test driving it, I opted to purchase an '04 Range Rover as my daily driver.

For those who think Porsche sold their soul to produce this car: Porsche has been a small player in the car world, and has been subject to the ups and downs of economies. In the late 80's/early 90's, Porsche almost went out of existance. They had to expand their market away from pure sports cars to gain stability for their company. Porsche fans (and I can say this because I used to own a 993 Carrera S) have been notoriously tradition bound and unwilling to change. In the 60's they said it was sacrilege to bring out the 911, that the 356 was the only "true" Porsche. Then they lambasted the water-cooled 924/944/928's because the only "true" Porsche is air cooled and rear-engined. They did the same to the 996. And now they're doing it to the Cayenne. :roll: Sigh..... So, despite my first paragraph disparaging the ugly Cayenne, I think Porsche did the right thing. Hopefully with the second generation we will get the world-class beautiful to behold Cayenne that should have been built in the first place.

jakan714
04-22-2004, 03:08 PM
its not mouthwatering as Tiff would say... i regret to say... technically impressive.
Yet sth. is missing... looks? Well it looks pretty much OK....
i dont know what that is....

5.7 V10
04-22-2004, 03:20 PM
I love the Cayenne. S or Turbo. It's looks awesome, appears to be well built, no slouch in speed. I love it, would be in my dream car garage.

meetmeroundthecorner
04-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Visually the Cayenne does nothing for me, but once your inside and it gets going, it is fantastic. It comes down to preference, but i'd rather have the cayenne turbo to break away from the normal BMW X5 and Range Rover gang!!! Its more of a status thing.

amanthapar
04-24-2004, 04:58 AM
if i had to buy a suv/jeep it would be the cayenne turbo no doubt..

fedezyl
05-01-2004, 03:14 AM
hate it because of the lights and huge bulky exterior but interior is nice and comfortable (ive been there)

nthfinity
05-01-2004, 10:42 PM
after learning about its track abilities, it seems more appealing to me. i love the front facia on the Turbo model, but beyond that its styling doesnt seem so great. i love this car, and would defend it versus other lux. SUV's .... would i buy it?

not now, as i am financially limited to a poor college student......

but if i already had my sports car... id definately would want one as a daily driver... perhaps id take it to a track day to astound people here and there lol

jorge
05-01-2004, 11:34 PM
I think the looks are not very good, but it has road presence

c0wb0y007
07-08-2004, 02:27 PM
I definitely love it :!: Why?: Because I like the looks, it is and looks super solid, it flies like a porsche. And I like it because it is a Porsche for the full 100%

Cheers

fabro_s
07-08-2004, 02:40 PM
There is nothing to hate from the Cayenne I think its the best looking SUV right now, its even better than the X5, I love the Cayenne, and its interiors, better than any escalade... :fadein:

HeilSvenska
07-11-2004, 03:33 PM
There is nothing to hate from the Cayenne I think its the best looking SUV right now, its even better than the X5, I love the Cayenne, and its interiors, better than any escalade... :fadein:

my dear, you have so much more to expect from the world.

look at the LR Range Rover

best looking inside and out.
exteriour is butchy like a proper bloke-ish off-roader look + interior fit for the Bentley of SUVs.
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/LandRoverRangeRover/Images/LeftFront.jpg
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/LandRoverRangeRover/Images/LeftRear2.jpg
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/LandRoverRangeRover/Images/Dash.jpg

TopGearNL
07-13-2004, 07:22 AM
I don't hate it, just don't like it but if I ever get one (like winning won) I would be thrilled, just another example of how cracy us dutch are :x

Ford Capri 2.8i
08-06-2004, 02:34 PM
The only complaint that ive got about the cayenne is just the shape for my taste...that the car is ugly..........the rest aspects of the porsche are perfect for me

bobber69
08-16-2004, 11:34 AM
i love all current porsches :D

mclaren_Gt
09-13-2004, 12:52 AM
i hate it is soy ugly