PDA

View Full Version : The Proverbial: "There's Always Someone Faster Out Ther

StanAE86
04-17-2004, 01:39 PM
This was posted on one of the M5 boards. It's good to see that the M5 owner still had a good attitude and wasn't making excuses. As they say, there's always someone out there that's faster, and sometimes, it's in something you would never expect. On with the story:

Just had a can of Whoop-Ass opened on my Beast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got home from being thouroughly trounced in my M5, and I wanted to post before I forgot the details.

I was out for a drive, headed South on Illinois Rt 53 just south of Joliet (4 lane divided road) when this sad story happened. (No animals or people were harmed in this experence except my pride)

I pull away from the stop light, shift to 2nd and notice this kid in a dark blue Honda Civic (Including AP stickers, and a silly wing) 'playing' with me in the left lane.

I am thinking, OK why not, the kid needs a lesson, so I hit the sport button, and at about 3500 RPM I hit it. The Beast pulls great like she always does, but I am seeing this little Honda pull away from me like I am standing still and he is going 20 miles an hour.

I shift to 3rd and stand on it up to about 100 MPH ... just where the rev limiter is about to hit, then **** to 4th.

It is now in 4th gear pulling up near the red line that the kid really takes off and is gaining about a car length per second.

I am already going jail speed, the road is clear and I cant belive this. I hit 5th and as I am running up in RPM the Honda is now just flat out disapering, like tail lights getting visibly smaller and pulling ahead like I am stopped.

I hit the rev limiter in 5th and by this time the Honda is at least 1/2 a mile ahead of me, and I chickened out.

I have had a Viper pull me, but not by anything like this, and an SL55 also pull me, but this Honda would absolutely wipe out anything I have ever come up against.

The thing that was most un nerving is that on the big end the M5 is pretty formitable. and to have this little Honda pull away from my by such a stretch when I am at the rev limiter in 5th is just not understandable.

I didnt look at the spedo , but I am shure some one here knows what hitting the rev limiter in 5th is, and the Honda was still climbing like an f16 even there.

I can see how the kid could have had the Honda optimized for a 1/4 mile, but in that case he would run out of gear, or RPM or whatever when aproaching warp speed (aka red line in 5th) but the faster I went, the Honda had a greater rate of increase in out distancing me.

When I was at the end of 4th gear the Honda was about 1/4 ahead, but by the end of 5th ... I think he was more than 1/2 mile in front of me, and there was seemingly no end, he kept on going.

Oh well ......... I guess you cant win them all.

I hope some Doctor in his new SL55 or Ferarri Enzo for that matter comes up against this kid and his civic. That would really be a laugh to watch.

BADMIHAI
04-17-2004, 01:58 PM
I don't believe that. I mean if he had the Honda geared up for drag racing, then yeah....but not take it even when the M5 is bouncing on the rev limiter in 5th. Holy fuck!

altezza
04-17-2004, 02:19 PM
wow, this is hard to believe! :?
His car must have some heavy modifications under the hood/bonnet

Vansquish
04-17-2004, 02:46 PM
No shit....that must've had a fair load of cash dumped into it...either that or there was some NO2 involved, that can make a pretty impressive difference even for a slow, underpowered car as a base.

1zippo1
04-17-2004, 03:36 PM
No shit....that must've had a fair load of cash dumped into it...either that or there was some NO2 involved, that can make a pretty impressive difference even for a slow, underpowered car as a base.

NO2 would make a lot of difference. But they had quite a long run so he had to use quite a lot AND a honda civic can max have standard a 2 litre engine... that's pretty limited to start from... So, that much difference with a 400hp 5litre M5 is incredible. I would love to see that civic in action.

SPEEDKILLAR
04-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Damn, unbelievable storry, must feel weird to get beaten by a civic, still the M5 is a better complete car.

StanAE86
04-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I would never have believed it if it weren't for the fact that it was posted by an M5 owner, admitted he got beat. I'm still floored because I'm thinking the Civic -should have- run out of gears. The M5 had one more gear to go, but it would hit the limiter at like 165, but redlining 5th, the civic was a mile up and getting smaller...that's pretty damn crazy.

Zonda11
04-17-2004, 05:45 PM
wow -- that civic must have been nuts -- You have to give it some respect in this case.

I would love to see this civic !

Chingachgook
04-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Mmmh there's something strange here!how can a Civic destroy an M5, a car with a 5l V8 with 400hp...that's strange, a lot. The Civic to do this was modified, and not lightly

sentra_dude
04-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Seems kind of strange to me, at least the part about him pulling him in 5th gear...but then again, we can't forget about guys like Cheezefrog...who can run sub 11sec 1/4miles and do well in roll-on highway races. Props to the civic if its true...but I'd still take the M5.

RC45
04-17-2004, 08:39 PM
LOL - also brings home the truth... the M5 is a "fast sedan" - but is still really heavy and not that fast ;)

corvette97
04-17-2004, 08:46 PM
Twin turbo kit IMO + shot of nawzz

graywolf624
04-17-2004, 08:50 PM
The part that rings untrue is about the distance beaten. To be half a mile ahead in that shorta time the honda would almost have to be sub 10 secs. The number of sub 10 sec fwd cars that are street legal is almost nonexistant. Especially ones that could do so with street legal tires.

So at very least theres exaggeration going on. Could also be a troll.

BADMIHAI
04-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Pulling away at 165 mph? I think the Civic would fall apart at those speeds!

RC45
04-18-2004, 03:37 PM
The part that rings untrue is about the distance beaten. To be half a mile ahead in that shorta time the honda would almost have to be sub 10 secs. The number of sub 10 sec fwd cars that are street legal is almost nonexistant. Especially ones that could do so with street legal tires.

So at very least theres exaggeration going on. Could also be a troll.

What if the M5 driver just doesn't know how to drive and his idea of red-line shifting is not the same as other peoples.

I pull away from the stop light, shift to 2nd and notice this kid in a dark blue Honda Civic (Including AP stickers, and a silly wing) 'playing' with me in the left lane.

I am thinking, OK why not, the kid needs a lesson, so I hit the sport button, and at about 3500 RPM I hit it. The Beast pulls great like she always does, but I am seeing this little Honda pull away from me like I am standing still and he is going 20 miles an hour.

The guy was sandbagged.. ;) - why "hit it from 3500"? I am sure that is way down from the M5's sweet spot.. (i know I would not bother rolling on with the Z06 from less tahn 4200") and no doubt the "ricer" nawsed him from the get go... ;)

- and the M5 just got on it too late and the small performance advantage the Civic had was simply magnified as each second passed.

And yeah - there is probably a little exaggeration there as well - I mean, if you are going to be beaten by a Civic on the Net - you may as well make it out to be a Super-Civic... right? :lol:

antonioledesma
04-18-2004, 06:28 PM
Maybe the little civic didn't have the original 4 in-line engine.
Maybe it isn't that impressive, but I got beaten by a friend's Caribe GT(in mexico) also known as golf gti in other places when I was driving a chrysler stratus rt (168hp, turbo). I would say he trashed me, but in a distance of 1 km, he owned me by 2 or 3 car lengths
After the challenge I asked him what the hell his car had... so he opened his hood, and he had the 2.0 l engine. (115 hp in a 900-1000 kg car)

I don't know if the civic can house a 6 cyl engine from his big bro, and having some serious drugs inside just like turbos, no2, etc.

hemi_fan
04-18-2004, 08:21 PM
maybe it even had an I-6 engine? im sure you could make it fit if you did some major dashboard modifications... my question is with all that power, how would a unibody possibly hold up!?! that would be an interesting car to see for sure.

antonioledesma
04-18-2004, 09:58 PM
no need to do that, even as a 2 litre engine it can put out far more power than the 400 hp M5 with the right things done do it and a lot of tourqe go with that.

the right gearbox in there and it will eat a stock M5 even at high speeds no need to be so surprised.
As RC said I also think it is better to be beat by a super civic than just a fast one.......

yup. I have seen 82' golf gti with turbo, chromed (shit... don't remember the name in english) the... fuel rail???, the pistons were changed so it had almost 2.1 l, a new crankshaft, racing exhausts. that car broke two stabilizer bars. Was a real show looking that machine going and humilliating newer gti's, some civic si, etc

jpatino03
04-18-2004, 10:03 PM

NO2 would make a lot of difference. But they had quite a long run so he had to use quite a lot AND a honda civic can max have standard a 2 litre engine... that's pretty limited to start from... So, that much difference with a 400hp 5litre M5 is incredible. I would love to see that civic in action.

It might have been packing an H22 from a prelude, which is 2.2 liters, and has tremendous power potential. However, I still find this story pretty unbelievable. With that much power to the front wheels the car must have been torque steering all over the place.