PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! COMPUTER CRASH!!! :(

Chaos in 1983!
04-16-2004, 10:19 PM
Dudes....I need some help!....my computer crashed and I have no fucking idea what to do...since I know there are a few computer geeks around JW(myself included) I'm asking for help here...

Everytime I start the computer...WinXP starts to load...after the loading screen appears...the blue scree of death comes up and gives me this message ..."UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DRIVE"...along with a bunch of crap....and then nothing happens....

I tried accessing it from DOS with a boot disk...I write C: and it says access my D: drive inseat of the C:...I disconnected the secondary HD...and when I type C: it says Invalid Drive....

PLEASE...someone help me...I need to get the info out of the HD...I have some ''very'' important stuff in there...along with my music and video collections....fuck I'm so pissed :x

ANY ideas are more than appreciated...

crazidude
04-16-2004, 11:51 PM
Did you plug it in? (had to ask that)

You can try using a different IDE cable to see if it makes a difference.

TT
04-17-2004, 04:58 AM
Dang it sucks! And of course I have no fucking clue about a solution :( I really hope the drive is still there with all the info still stored in it!

N.J.
04-17-2004, 05:23 AM
Take your PC down to a computer store and get them to have a look at it for you.

(Because you don't want to bugger around too much and lose everything for good :wink: )

p.s

ALWAYS have a backup - ie. I keep all my important stuff on CDs.

Jabba
04-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Hey thamar I know someone that wants to add a second HD to their computer...they have bought the drive but are still a little bit worried about starting the job...even though they are very smart and I have guided them through it a hundred times...they still need a little push...

Can you confirm to them how straight forward it should be ??? (they will be reading this post I am sure)

TT
04-17-2004, 06:27 PM
Did you really think you could post w/o me noticing? :roll:

PATo355
04-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Chaos i had the same problem in my pc , i have IDE1 with an HD and a CDROM as slave , some day it gave me the same problem , i unplugged the CDrom and now it works ok

Jabba
04-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Did you really think you could post w/o me noticing? :roll:

Well I hoped you would believe thamar...he is very clever indeed.

TT
04-17-2004, 06:32 PM
I know very well I believe you and I will believe him and I would even trust geekdiggy :D
It's just a terrible lack of motivation and the fact that I never did something barely similar... -> scared :D

Jabba
04-17-2004, 06:37 PM
There is always the first time for everything TT.... and you have some incredible back up support from some really clever people on JW.

graywolf624
04-17-2004, 06:38 PM
"1 your MBR is fucked up (master boot record)
2 your partition table is fucked up
3 your harddisk is fucked up "

And 4... virus!

lol

"Can you confirm to them how straight forward it should be ??? (they will be reading this post I am sure)"

set the jumper on the back of the hard drive to slave. Un plug the computer. Open the box up and insert harddrive in a slot.. Hook ide or scsi cable in. reclose computer. replug in computer. Turn it on. If it doesnt detect it automatically(usually does) then you will have to go into the bios and set second ide to auto detect.

*I spent a year as a pc technician when after the internet stock market drop.

TT
04-17-2004, 06:40 PM
There is always the first time for everything TT.... and you have some incredible back up support from some really clever people on JW.

It's the "no net" moment that scares me. If I would be able to keep a window opened in MSN or whatver for live support I would do it right now :D

Jabba
04-17-2004, 06:41 PM
"set the jumper on the back of the hard drive to slave. Un plug the computer. Open the box up and insert harddrive in a slot.. Hook ide or scsi cable in. reclose computer. replug in computer. Turn it on. If it doesnt detect it automatically(usually does) then you will have to go into the bios and set second ide to auto detect.

*I spent a year as a pc technician when after the internet stock market drop.

Sound familiar TT ???

TT
04-17-2004, 06:43 PM
I could probably to the whole thing even in the dark and with just my left hand... but to be all alone is terrible :D if something goes wrong I have no way to be helped untill I will be able to come back online ;)

But hell, this is not a topic about how dumb and scared TT is ;) it's about Chaos' PC :D

Jabba
04-17-2004, 06:45 PM
You can always plug your old HD back in then come back and tell us what went wrong...even though I know nothing will....

TT
04-17-2004, 06:47 PM
You know, the PC could be pissed off and simply refuse to boot up the old drive :!:

Jabba
04-17-2004, 06:50 PM
I guess if you hit it with a hammer or something...but unlugging something and then plugging it back in again is pretty safe....

graywolf624
04-17-2004, 06:51 PM
"You know, the PC could be pissed off and simply refuse to boot up the old drive "

Who installed artificial inteligence in TT's computer?

It's out to get you TT. Pretty soon the terminator will turn up at your doorstep.

*sorry couldn't help myself. It could be worse. I can barely get my grandmom to touch the mouse she's so sure she'll break the thing.

TT
04-17-2004, 06:53 PM
To my defense, I'd like to point out it's not only about installing that second drive, but to install it (as a try) in slave mode to test if I'm able to go that far.. then to install it alone as a master, install XP on it, be sure that the new drive will work proprely and that the system will be able to recognize all teh hardware stuff connected to it, be able to connect to the net and so on..
And only then, install the old drive as a slave, move most of the stuff into the new one, format the old and move back the needed...

Jabba
04-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Listen to them TT if you dont want to listen to me...I wouldnt suggest you do something that I didnt think you were capable of.

It really is very easy to do and hardly anything can go wrong as you are keeping your old HD to use anyway.

TT
04-17-2004, 06:54 PM
"You know, the PC could be pissed off and simply refuse to boot up the old drive "

Who installed artificial inteligence in TT's computer?

It's out to get you TT. Pretty soon the terminator will turn up at your doorstep.

*sorry couldn't help myself. It could be worse. I can barely get my grandmom to touch the mouse she's so sure she'll break the thing.

Don't tell me you never saw 2001: A space Odyssey! :D

TT
04-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Listen to them TT if you dont want to listen to me...I wouldnt suggest you do something that I didnt think you were capable of.

It really is very easy to do and hardly anything can go wrong as you are keeping your old HD to use anyway.

I was VERY close to do it, and you know that. But all of a sudden the PC now is as smooth as ever, so I'm not really sure it's the right moment. :roll:

Jabba
04-17-2004, 06:57 PM
Yes but this may be your best chance...how many times have people kicked themselves that they never backed up after their HD failed ?

TT
04-17-2004, 06:59 PM
make a cd with all the most recent drivers first :p

You would be scared to see my most recent drivers dates most of the time from 2002 :roll: I rarely update them (read: never)

And YES, I know it's easy :( but really I'm sure I'm not the only one that is scared to death to do something like that. I consider myself already brave just because I will MAYBE do it ;)

Jabba
04-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Yep...I can see someone regretting not putting the new HD in when they had the chance...you have even bought it now TT...it is a crime to leave it sitting there not earning its money...

TT
04-17-2004, 07:02 PM
It won't sit here long, don't worry. We will see during next week :D

Jabba
04-17-2004, 07:03 PM
OK I am not saying anymore about it...except good luck...I will try and make a video of me doing the exact operation that you are hopefully going to be doing...

RC45
04-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Dudes....I need some help!....my computer crashed and I have no fucking idea what to do...since I know there are a few computer geeks around JW(myself included) I'm asking for help here...

Everytime I start the computer...WinXP starts to load...after the loading screen appears...the blue scree of death comes up and gives me this message ..."UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DRIVE"...along with a bunch of crap....and then nothing happens....

I tried accessing it from DOS with a boot disk...I write C: and it says access my D: drive inseat of the C:...I disconnected the secondary HD...and when I type C: it says Invalid Drive....

PLEASE...someone help me...I need to get the info out of the HD...I have some ''very'' important stuff in there...along with my music and video collections....fuck I'm so pissed :x

ANY ideas are more than appreciated...

What new hardware, such as a camera, printer with memory card reader, or other device that XP may think is another drive (sounds like XP has decided the boot drive has a differemt letter to what it actually is).

I have seen similar problems when you have Win2k or XP installed on your D: drive, with the C: obviosly the boot device, and you add a new device (in this case a cordless Belkin mouse) that installs drivers that simply rewrite boot device driver settings without consideration that the boot device and OS drive may be different.

But as has been said already, the data may not be gone - as long as you can use the current hard drive as a "slave" to a new drive - you can still get to the data.

I would be interested to know if you had recently installed any drivers for a device that XP considered a drive and may have shifted the drive letters up one.

Chaos in 1983!
04-20-2004, 12:09 AM
ok...FINALLY!!!!!!....I managed to fix my computer...this is what I did...after searching the internet I found this site www.computing.net and searched for my problem...and it seems that the solution was simpler than it looked...all I had to do is access the System Console using the WinXp CD and run chkdsk /r...and now it's all fixed :D ....thank god nothing bad happened to my files...I[m gonna make a huge backup now....

thanks a lot for the help... :)

TT
04-20-2004, 05:01 AM
That's great news dude!! Really great!

Erez
04-20-2004, 03:49 PM
Excellent news DUDE!!! now you can PS the CLK :P
glad everything is OK!! :D