PDA

View Full Version : Just upgrade from a 17" to a 21" Monitor...

XyKo
08-07-2003, 12:38 AM
Damn it's so big and I think it's going to take me a week of getting use to it. Also, I got me an old 21" Hitachi Superscan 812. Yeah it's not flat screen but it looks like it just a little curve at center. ANd the best thing is, got it for $60 and I picked it up at the house. Can't beat that deal. Now, it's time to get use to it watching Jabba's videos and playing games and doing some designing. I have to love 1600x1200 it makes you split your screen in half. But most of the time, using it at 1280x1024. 1600x1200 fonts are so small to see, and I don't know how people actually use those.

Johns
08-07-2003, 01:10 AM
pretty fuckin big, my shit is 17 and it looks big :D

kRoNiK420
08-07-2003, 01:32 AM
man i feel so small i'm only 10"

crochico
08-07-2003, 09:56 AM
man i feel so small i'm only 10"

LOL.. i think you're in the wrong forum.. he's talking about his monitor's size

Jabba
08-07-2003, 09:59 AM
the smallest monitor I have ever used is a 14" and that was almost impossible...(after you got used to the bigger ones)

draak666
08-07-2003, 10:12 AM
I used to have a 13'' monitor and the screen looked like half a football.

And indeed... after you get used to a bigger one, having to use a smaller one will piss you off. So XyKo, there's no way back from that 21'', man...

sportVeloce
08-07-2003, 10:13 AM
even good old 15" are getting rarer these days. Almost all new comps come with 17". I like the LCD flatscreens... i get to look at mine every day... damn its nice. I use to get sore eyes looking at the comp screen 12 hours a day.. Now with my LCD i never get sore eyes. There is such a difference.
21" is a good size. Sounds like you got a good deal!

1zippo1
08-07-2003, 10:22 AM
LCD is much better for your eyes. We have an 17 inch LCD on one pc and a normal (with flatscreen) 21 inch on the other. The colours & the image quality of the 21 inch monitor are a lot better ... An LCD screen is made for one resolution and if you change to another resolution you get a bit of a fuzzy look, that's what I dislike about them. My 17 inch LCD is made for a resolution of 1024x1280 and I find that a bit to small.

haha604
08-07-2003, 04:04 PM
I rememberd when I upgraded from a 15 inch to a 19 inch monitor , I had to buy a new desk to make it fit. Used to think that 19inch is too big, but now I think its not big enough :D . There is apparently no end to men's desire of large objects :!: .

draak666
08-07-2003, 04:15 PM
This is when you start to realise that a flat panel is what you gonna need next. 8)

Jabba
08-07-2003, 04:18 PM
I have just got a 17" flat screen...its very nice indeed...but it just doesnt seem as sharp as my 21" sony CRT (yes I know it is not meant to be)...I dont think I will be throwing my CRT monitors away just yet..although if youre short of space than LCD is an answer to our prayers...

draak666
08-07-2003, 04:29 PM
if youre short of space than LCD is an answer to our prayers...

Or if you just wanna show off to some of your friends... 8)

XyKo
08-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the feedbacks. But I'm into those big bulky CRT. I do have LCD but gave them to my brother, it's a 17" IBM. I just can't use those resolutions on LCd, and I prefer the CRT for their brilliant color. I'll switch to LCD only if they have specs like CRT. Until then, CRT is the only way I go.

oic0
08-07-2003, 11:11 PM
I use the computer on a 17 inch monitor (ancient piece) but anytime I watch a video it pops up on my 30 inch TV a lil ways behind me. I havent yet wired it to get the soud to come out of the tv too though so I just have to cut my computer speakers up real loud :(

draak666
08-08-2003, 05:16 AM
Help needed...

I'm thinking of hooking up my pc to a TV for whenever I like to watch a movie from it. Does anyone have experience with this? What I would like to know is: What kind of cable do I need (that I can probably figure out myself), do I need any other hardware, do I need any software, is it easy to set up, any problems with the resolution of the screen, anything else I forgot, have you encountered other problems?
:?:

Thanks in advance :wink:

Jabba
08-08-2003, 05:18 AM
First of all you need to have a video card that has a TV out...(or some sort of TV video like S-Video)

draak666
08-08-2003, 05:51 AM
Yesssss, I have a TV out! What next?

Jabba
08-08-2003, 06:02 AM
if it is phono out you need to then hook it up to the video in on your TV...and you may need to change some of your settings in your video adaptor display properties...so it outputs to the TV....every card will be slighty different at this stage....

draak666
08-08-2003, 06:34 AM
Ehm, where do you change the settings in your video adaptor display properties? :oops:

Nemisis8u
08-08-2003, 05:22 PM
...although if youre short of space than LCD is an answer to our prayers...

I think thats that is all they are good for. The resolution on those things sucks IMO. I saw one in a store the other day, the maximum resolution on that was less then what I have on my desktop. But if you are short on space, want something energy efficient and you dont need big resolution then LCD is the way to go.

XyKo
08-08-2003, 10:24 PM
draak, when you you connect the svideo to the tv, and restart yoru computer without having the monitor connected, it should recognize the tv right away. Also if you're still using a monitor at the same time, just go to display>settings>advance>videocard> and change the setting in there to to TV. there's also settings to allow you to use tv and monitor at the same time.

I've been doing this for a while with my Geforce 4600 but the shit is my 42" Mitsubishi tv is crap when hooking up to a ocmputer. It's shows so many lines that I took it off. Still I could've traded it with my little sister 27" Sony wega because it looks sharp and nice on it. But I still prefer a bigger tv for the heck of it.

So just a quick note, most old svideo tv will not have the quality of the newer TV.

oic0
08-09-2003, 12:35 AM
There is a setting to get rid of the lines and twitching. The more you cut it up the more of it goes away but it takes video card power or something. Also if your TV-out is S-video and your TV isint you need to buy an adapter. The one I bought was 30 US bucks but it also has like 4 different addapters and 4 different input and output channels. You could probably get a simple comvertor alot cheaper. S-video to AV cables is easy and very cheap to find. Svideo to regular cable wire is a lil more.

draak666
08-09-2003, 05:21 AM
OK, thanks oicO, XyKo and Jabba for your help. I'll go and get myself a cable now. :)

I prefer a larger screen as well, but this TV is just a bit bigger than my PC-screen. At least it will allow me to watch a film from a seat or from my bed instead of from my office chair. I simply hope that the image quality will be allright then. :wink:

callen
10-14-2003, 11:46 AM
i have a 19" trinitron...the lcds are just too pricey...but i would LOVE a 21" my friend has one...u have to see it to appreciate! GREAT Stuff