PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Lincoln Zephyr

nthfinity
04-09-2004, 12:35 AM
A production version of the Lincoln Zephyr teaser will be offered for sale in late 2005 as a 2006 model.
NEW YORK -- Distinctly Lincoln, the 2006 Lincoln Zephyr illustrates how Lincoln can bring its hallmarks of elegant design and comfort to a new generation of youthful customers.
On display at the New York International Auto Show, a teaser version of the future midsize, five-passenger Lincoln Zephyr is the first front-wheel-drive Lincoln to debut since the Continental. Built on Ford Motor Company's global CD3 mid-size architecture the Lincoln Zephyr will complement the existing Lincoln lineup and provide a new entry in the growing midsize premium segment.

"The Lincoln Zephyr is a clear example of how we are able to bring exciting new products to the Lincoln stable by sharing efficiencies throughout the Ford Motor Company organization," said Darryl Hazel, Lincoln-Mercury president. "These great new products are at the core of the Lincoln renaissance."

The low, wide stance of the Lincoln Zephyr emphasizes the bold and aggressive attitude of the vehicle. While the distinctive chrome waterfall grille make it instantly recognizable as a member of the Lincoln family, design statements such as the bold horizontal lines of the tail lamps and grille reinforce its athleticism. The Zephyr further establishes its sport sedan persona with geometric elements such as a steeply raked windshield, strong horizontal themes and wide, 19-inch, spoked alloy wheels.

The low, wide stance of the Lincoln Zephyr emphasizes the bold and aggressive attitude of the vehicle.
"There's a strong European influence in the design theme, but we didn't lose the essential North American qualities," said Chief Designer Phil Simmons. "You see that in the way it carries itself -- there's a uniquely North American confidence, a certain swagger, almost."

The Lincoln Zephyr features a specially tuned and more powerful version of the Duratec 30 3.0-liter V-6 engine with intake variable cam timing (VCT); mated to a premium six-speed front-wheel-drive transmission, with capability to easily add all-wheel drive.

The new six-speed transmission amplifies engine torque to provide better acceleration than comparable vehicles with four- or five-speed transmissions. Electronic throttle control and the electronically controlled transmission calibration assure smooth and seamless shifts, for quiet performance worthy of the Lincoln brand.

The car's color -- a warm golden silver called Cashmere -- was chosen to work in harmony with the dramatic cabin design.

"It's a very light and bright combination," said David Woodhouse, who developed the teaser design at Lincoln's California Design Center. "Everything from the body color to the interior is very light. This gives it a luminous, luxurious feeling, which accentuates the real wood, genuine leather and metallic accents."

Light surfaces compliment the two-tone interior color scheme of the Lincoln Zephyr.
Interior surface textures, such as satin aluminum, chrome, leather and wood, coexist to reinforce the organic symmetry of the design. Light surfaces including sophisticated Harewood compliment the two-tone color scheme with seats that are lighter in color than the center console and other panels. The seats are inspired by the shape of the classic Eames lounge chairs and are faced in premium leather creating a simple, tailored appearance.

A corrugated aluminum waterfall flows downward from the top of the instrument panel into the center stack, which features an exclusive THX™-certified ultra premium audio system as well as a navigational screen.

At night, white LED lighting enhances the wristwatch-inspired gauges with rounded rectangular housings, light faces and chrome hubs and pointers. In addition, all buttons and knobs are chromed, as are the one-touch louvered air vents, interior door handles and the control stalks on either side of the steering wheel.

"Lincoln is renowned for being a design leader, and nowhere is this more apparent than in our interiors," said Marek Reichman, director of Interior Design Strategy. "The design philosophies explored in our teaser or concept vehicles are already making their way into Lincoln production vehicles. With the new Lincoln Zephyr, they will find their fullest expression in an automobile."

For occupant safety, the Lincoln Zephyr features a robust steel "safety cage" construction, with engineered crush zones to absorb impact energy. Ford Motor Company's industry-leading Personal Safety System provides a range of safety features, such as front and side air bags, side air curtains, occupant classification sensing, three-point safety belts with front-seat pretensioners and retractors, tire pressure sensing, anti-lock braking and traction control.

A production version of the Lincoln Zephyr teaser will be offered for sale in the United States, Canada, Mexico and other markets in late 2005 as a 2006 model. Pricing and final specifications will be announced closer to launch.

http://www.autoshowny.com/cgi_images/nydebuts/mid/64.jpghttp://www.autoshowny.com/cgi_images/nydebuts/mid/65.jpg
http://a137.g.akamai.net/n/137/3538/20040408164413/www.cars.com/features/autoshows/2004/newyork/coverage/images/06_lincoln_zephyr_frontangle_mfr_430.jpghttp://a137.g.akamai.net/n/137/3538/20040408164843/www.cars.com/features/autoshows/2004/newyork/coverage/images/06_lincoln_zephyr_frontinterior_mfr_430.jpg
http://a137.g.akamai.net/n/137/3538/20040408164843/www.cars.com/features/autoshows/2004/newyork/coverage/images/06_lincoln_zephyr_side_jf_430.jpghttp://a137.g.akamai.net/n/137/3538/20040408164843/www.cars.com/features/autoshows/2004/newyork/coverage/images/06_lincoln_zephyr_rearangle_mfr_430.jpg

I must say, I am liking this car quite a bit, it definately is taking various euro sedan styling ques, and is looking like a potential luxury class version of the Ford 500 if its equiped with the AWD (via volvo)

the only things i would like to see is a manuel gearbox option, with an optional v8... perhaps the 3.9 supercharged v8 :twisted: although it would still be a bit off of the CTS-V, but cirtainly would be fun

mit5005
04-10-2004, 04:42 PM
I'm glad Lincoln might make something like this. They really need some styling change since most of there cars are aimed at the older crowd. I would say take this car to production if you asked me.

yg60m
04-10-2004, 05:02 PM
I like this Lincoln concept except for the inside, it's not really bad but very 80's oriented and i am not sure it was the best period for design :?:

RC45
04-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Anything less than 400hp and it is simply an over price barge - and is not a "muscular" car by any means... ;)

I know Ford will drop the ball and it will be a dud... ;)

nthfinity
04-10-2004, 09:33 PM
if anybody read the discription, they would know its not a concept, just a teaser..... it is a production car =P

to recap for those who dont want to read, that specific concept is a FWD 3.0L duratek v6. however, it seems to be based on the 500/ S70R chassis, which makes it a likely canidate for AWD, and ive never heard of a lincoln with no optional V8....

i will completely agree with RC if it isnt AWD w/ a v8..... and, not everybody want 400 bhp, but i think they have something wrong with them :wink:

blah
04-11-2004, 12:19 AM
its a disgrace if its only gonna have a V6, considering the orignals had V-12s.

RC45
04-11-2004, 12:35 AM
its a disgrace if its only gonna have a V6, considering the orignals had V-12s.

Just the FWD alone is enough to condemn it to the trash pile...