PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best free pop-up Blocker?

oscargarza88
04-07-2004, 05:18 PM
i had one b4 but i dont now, can someone help me caus ei am receving a MAJOR invasion of pop ups!! if i leave the comp 3 mins i come back like with 20 pop ups, and im not even surfing the net!!
and i think they r the cause of m=the spyware in my comp, each time i run a spyware check i get like 500!!
:?

No.1
04-07-2004, 06:09 PM
Google Toolbar???

it's free and works for me :wink:

oscargarza88
04-07-2004, 06:46 PM
You have spyware then.
Try spyboy: http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=home (it's freeware, and works pretty good)

to block popups i use popupcop, if you want it to it's "free" ;)
i already have that spyware thing, and yes i ave ALOT of spyware, each time i do the search i get hundrets of things, an when i finish erasing threm i dont see a difference in my computer, like of speed.
and does that popup vloker work 100 % ?

Sm@ck
04-07-2004, 07:23 PM
I use the Opera Browser, and there is in option which will refuse all pop up windows.

IT works for me, only problem with opera are ussually websites that contain some Java. But then yoiu can always resort to the explorer.

Opera is free btw (well ad supported, but no pop ups)

fishfreek
04-07-2004, 08:30 PM
I use google tool bar with popup blocker.

oscargarza88
04-07-2004, 09:54 PM
i have opera but i didnt activaate the pop up bloker function... :oops:
haha and its free but theres also a version that u pay, im sure its osmewhere on the web free, but i just cant find it

AlienDB7
04-07-2004, 10:04 PM
I just use Mozilla's built-in popup blocker. Works great and don't have to worry about all the activex based trojans.

johnhobbs
04-08-2004, 12:22 PM
I use google tool bar with popup blocker.

or opera which has a built in popup blocker .. but first you need to kill all the spyware

FoxFour
04-25-2004, 09:42 PM
If you are using XP, keep an eye out for the SP2 patch which is due to come out this summer. This Service Pack will be a major pack that contains many major upgrades, including a built-in pop up blocker. This will probably be the last SP prior to Microsoft's Project 'Longhorn' introduction.

DeMoN
04-26-2004, 01:09 AM
I use Mozilla Firefox 0.8 as a browser. It comes with its own popup blocker and is SO MUCH better than internet exploerer.

If you get major popups, I am sure that its not because of the website you visit, it is because of spyware. Get a Firewall (I use Norton Internet Security 2004) and a Spybot scanner... the best so far is Spybot Search and Destroy (oh, it's free too!)

BTW get it from here http://www.spybot-updates.com/files/spybotsd13rc4.exe this is version 1.3 (hidden! the one you can dload from their web is 1.2)

husyk
04-26-2004, 01:15 PM
I as well suggest Google Toolbar, for spyware, use Adaware, Spybot, and SpywareBlaster. That combo works fine for me.

tanelvali
04-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Popupkiller. Easiest to use also the smallest and messes least with your registry.

DMbaseball1604
04-26-2004, 02:35 PM
I use spybot as well but for the last week or so I have been having major problems with a few programs...spybot says that it cannot get rid of a few programs because they are still being used, in memory, how do I fix this problem?

oscargarza88
04-26-2004, 05:12 PM
hey tanelvali where do i donwload the free version of that? because i looked some and i only found some that charged u.
and DM u have to restart ur comp so they work, i think it tells u that there caus ei use it, but i dont know if it works

DeMoN
04-26-2004, 05:31 PM
I dont use PopUp blockers. Many times, they block what you dont want blocked. And having something runing in your taskbar makes your computer load up slower. I rather have popup blocking included in my browser (mozilla firefox) and a program to periodically remove spyware (spybod s&d)

Neutrino
05-01-2004, 06:13 AM
I use spybot as well but for the last week or so I have been having major problems with a few programs...spybot says that it cannot get rid of a few programs because they are still being used, in memory, how do I fix this problem?

Try going into safe mode and run spybot from there. Very few programs get launched under safe mode so chances are that particular piece of software will not be loaded into the memorey either.

I would also want to add that, as Demon said, Firefox is a top notch browser.