PDA

View Full Version : My latest toy....

RC45
03-31-2004, 02:41 PM
http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/3648system.gif

...nuf said... ;)

Tomerville
03-31-2004, 02:52 PM
Wow, what is your new toy which is capable of making your computer run so effeciently?

TT
03-31-2004, 02:55 PM
LOL I'm so useless :D I'm trying to understand what kind of processor is in that system, but as many others, no damn clue :D next time post also some simple data for common users :P

Really, I'm no kidding.. I see so many numbers... but the only way for me is to see something like x.x GHz :D

Let's see if brembo or geekdiggy are smarter than me :D

RC45
03-31-2004, 03:23 PM
HEY are you picking on us TT..... :wink:

I think both diggy and I are lost, I am scared to look in this forum.
I feel stupid just to look at the headlines of the threads..... :lol:

But With the "nuf said" comment and knowing RC45 to be the biggest computer geek on this site, Im sure its something he stole from NASA down the street.... :D

It's an 8 dual-core CPU server - So Win2K3 sees and uses 16 2GHZ, P4 Xeon, 2MB Cache processors... I think I will be rendering videos a little quicker this next week... ;)

crazidude
03-31-2004, 03:25 PM
lol holly shit thats a lot of processors. I gave up counting after 3 lol

Fleischmann
03-31-2004, 03:25 PM
But With the "nuf said" comment and knowing RC45 to be the biggest computer geek on this site, Im sure its something he stole from NASA down the street.... :D

Yes, but first he had to hack into it using a calculator :)

TT
03-31-2004, 03:31 PM
It's an 8 dual-core CPU server - So Win2K3 sees and uses 16 2GHZ, P4 Xeon, 2MB Cache processors... I think I will be rendering videos a little quicker this next week...

Holy shit! I won't ever dare to have more than one in my PC :D

racer_f50
03-31-2004, 04:06 PM
It's an 8 dual-core CPU server - So Win2K3 sees and uses 16 2GHZ, P4 Xeon, 2MB Cache processors... I think I will be rendering videos a little quicker this next week... ;)

LOL, hope you didnt expect me to understand that....... :lol:

but I understand that it is fast and it needs alot of letters and numbers to be explained.... :wink:

you could just have said: Den er så kjapp at det nesten ikke er vits og slå den på..... :wink:

I understood just as much as you do with my last entence there.... :D

i think he's saying that the computer has 8 processors. and each processor has 2 cores, which essentially makes the 8 processors act like 16 of them.

Tomerville
03-31-2004, 04:13 PM
Wow...what do you do with that computer anyway?

RC45
03-31-2004, 04:20 PM
Wow...what do you do with that computer anyway?

Much like a 1200hp street car.. anything I want... ;) :lol:

TT
03-31-2004, 04:24 PM
Just a question.. what about the cooling system?

SFDMALEX
03-31-2004, 04:37 PM
Holly shit mate. that looks mighty impressive.

I think I'll keep my two :oops: :lol:

http://www.oshit.org/upload/index.php?act=dl&file=QUFBbXlzeXN0ZW1jaGlwcy5qcGc=

RC45
03-31-2004, 04:59 PM
Engineered cooling fans and heat sinks.

It is similar to this system

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantdl760/images/prod-shot-oov.jpg

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantdl760/index.html

callen
03-31-2004, 05:19 PM
jesus rc45, ur freakin nuts! looks like u might give jabba a run for his money?! have u any pics of ur setup?

geekdiggy
03-31-2004, 06:10 PM
Let's see if brembo or geekdiggy are smarter than me :D

:oops:

PATo355
03-31-2004, 06:23 PM
4gb of ram right ? why you need such a huge pc ? :wink:

RC45
03-31-2004, 06:43 PM

Its 5GB of RAID 5 memory - with 4GB usable - allows for hot-swap of failed RAM on the fly...

With that much memory, and this many processors, Video encoding/processing - is, lets say, instantaneous...

...but seriously - it is for major server hosting.

oscargarza88
03-31-2004, 09:30 PM
wow, and i thought jabbas comp was fast!
aout how much did it cost?

RC45
03-31-2004, 10:04 PM

Probably about $50K as configured - I just build em, configure em and support em... ;)

oscargarza88
03-31-2004, 11:39 PM

Probably about $50K as configured - I just build em, configure em and support em... ;)
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

wow!
and in how much time will that pay itself?

RC45
03-31-2004, 11:45 PM

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

wow!

How long is a piece of string...

oscargarza88
03-31-2004, 11:49 PM

wow!

mmmm...
(confused)... :roll:

crazidude
04-01-2004, 12:32 AM
whoa I never knew there was hot swappable ram. I thought that existed only for hds.

RC45
04-01-2004, 01:10 AM

wow!

mmmm...
(confused)... :roll:

The answer is "It depends" - which is the same answer to the question "How long is a piece of string?"

The answer "It depends... what you need the string for."

:D

PATo355
04-01-2004, 01:13 AM

Its 5GB of RAID 5 memory - with 4GB usable - allows for hot-swap of failed RAM on the fly...

With that much memory, and this many processors, Video encoding/processing - is, lets say, instantaneous...

yeah im sure is for some mayor shit , not for browsing the JabbasWorld :wink:

Congrats for you sistem

RC45
04-01-2004, 02:12 AM

yeah im sure is for some mayor shit , not for browsing the JabbasWorld :wink:

Congrats for you sistem

Yeah - it is part of the back-bone of an ASP solution I am putting together.

We will eventually have about 25 of these systems - churning away, using electricity and contributing to global warming by making powerplants burn more fossil fuels.. LOL :lol:

nthfinity
04-01-2004, 02:23 AM
But With the "nuf said" comment and knowing RC45 to be the biggest computer geek on this site, Im sure its something he stole from NASA down the street....

reminds me of my WV days @ NRAO :twisted: :twisted:

i like how compact it is with so many procs... most ive seen in a desktop is 4, which is 3 more then im used to. i am ~mostly hapy with my amd xp 1900 and 512m of ram.... mostly

RC45
04-01-2004, 02:48 AM
Actually, I just did a little "real world" shoot out.

The sample video was a 700mb AVI, 3m12s clip 720x480 24fps DV capture - Rendered to DVD-NTSC 720x480 29.97fps using Vegas 4 which is multi-CPU aware.

On a single P4 2.6GHZ 512MB Cache, 1GB RAM system, it took 5m00s to render.

On the 8-dual core CPU, P4 2GHZ Xeon, 2MB Cache, 4GB RAM system, it took 2m58s to render.

Pretty much quicker than realtime - however, the single CPU home made system only cost $1200 to buy, where as the "16 CPU" monster is about $50G's

I am sure a single P4 3.6GHZ system would equal, if not out perform the "16CPU" job - and only be a $250 upgrade to my existing video workstation.

As always - everything has it's intended use, and while a turbo Supra putting 1100hp too the wheels is good for bragging rights... it means shit when you have to get traction on public roads.. ;)

:lol:

I am going to redo the test, this time applying some FX to the clip - aged film, and see how long it takes to do real movie rendering work.

RC45
04-01-2004, 05:14 AM
Really interesting results.

The 2.6GHZ P4 was soundly beaten in the simple DVD-NTSC render test, 5m00s vs 2m59s to render the 3m12s clip -- the results are a little different when you load the systems up with complex rendering tasks.

Rendering the same 700mb 3m12s clip with the Aged Film filter (1908 Film) - the 2.6GHZ 1CPU box got done in 1h54m, while the 2GHZ 8-dual core CPU box took 2h20m - it would seem certain algorithms benefitted from the extra .6GHZ cpu clock speed.

But that is only half the story...

...while the single CPU box was maxed out at 100% CPU for the duration, leaving the box essentially unusable until it was done, the 16-core CPU box was humming along at 50% CPU usage - while 5 other instances of Vegas were rendering the same 700MB clip using other filters.

SO in essence, while the actual CPU speed will seem to determine how long most process take, the power is just how many similar tasks can be done at the same time

SO if this were a real DVD project, and there were 20 3 minute chapters to render with complex filters and effects, you could get all 20 done in 2 batches of 10 renderings taking 2 x 2h30m for a total of 5 hours rendering time with the "huge box" - while you would be faced with 20 x 2h if you only had the single CPU system.

In that context, 5 hours vs 40 hours rendering time, it it easy to see how such a work-horse server can pay it's way.

Some images to illustrate the tests.

1280 x 1024 Server Desktop
http://www.jabbasworld.net/photopost/data/512/135desktop2.jpg

1600 x 1200 Workstation Desktop
http://www.jabbasworld.net/photopost/data/512/135desktop1a.jpg

ravenpaua
04-01-2004, 05:31 AM
I can't find words.... :o

Overmind
04-01-2004, 08:43 AM
RC45: well the testing results aren't that surprising and you've summed it up in your last post were well :). The video encoding, in it's essence, isn't much sutiable for a multi-processor machine.

However this :twisted: "2000 BHP" :twisted: monster will do just excellent simultaneously executing hundreds of asp scripts :D, while 1CPU 3.6GHz would be simply overwhelmed by the amount of interrupted requests :).

PS: well it must be quite fun playing with such toyz :mrgreen:.

SPEEDKILLAR
04-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Damn, RC45 is a computer geek, I didn't understand shit about what you said...

54hst hdf5984gsg gsdr gqr blablabla fgwd9565 fgwg, I'm confused, Stop it
:!: :!: :!:
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

DeMoN
04-01-2004, 11:49 AM
congrats on the new toy! it must be amazingly fast!

RC45
04-01-2004, 12:28 PM
RC45: well the testing results aren't that surprising and you've summed it up in your last post were well :). The video encoding, in it's essence, isn't much sutiable for a multi-processor machine.

However this :twisted: "2000 BHP" :twisted: monster will do just excellent simultaneously executing hundreds of asp scripts :D, while 1CPU 3.6GHz would be simply overwhelmed by the amount of interrupted requests :).

PS: well it must be quite fun playing with such toyz :mrgreen:.

You'll be surprised how many large boxes are used in production for complex computation requirements where they sit at 50 to 75% CPU all day everyday.

The sheer amount of connections and transactions needed to tax this system in such a way would overwhelm the network infrastructure and the stack of the OS long before the server broke out a sweat, which is why many times the "large transactional" environment is made of of many, many smaller machines able to receive and process the many simultaneous transactions needed to generate the work load.

I guess the self contained test could have just as easily been an attempt to break a 128bit encryption key - but how much interest would that generate at a Car web site.. :lol: LOL ;)

gtx28
04-25-2004, 06:21 PM
I wanna see how many months it would take for you to crack md5 on a few of those, after all it only took 15 crea machines about 8 mo. lol back when i was in the networking arena, i remember that meryl used to run there network like that. Architechture was a bit diff, but the same principal. Each Server ran in triplicate, with a seperate pop per unit, it was hell from a management stand point. Ever seen a building with a different point of presence for 30 diff nodes? Try running a loop back on a csu/dsu that is not opperating correctly in a several thousand node network, while making sure that your testing dosent cost merle lynch about a million per minute. Why did i end up in realestate again? o ya better hours more money nicer toys. Whew flash backs are rough huh. lol

RC45
04-25-2004, 09:24 PM
I wanna see how many months it would take for you to crack md5 on a few of those, after all it only took 15 crea machines about 8 mo. lol back when i was in the networking arena, i remember that meryl used to run there network like that. Architechture was a bit diff, but the same principal. Each Server ran in triplicate, with a seperate pop per unit, it was hell from a management stand point. Ever seen a building with a different point of presence for 30 diff nodes? Try running a loop back on a csu/dsu that is not opperating correctly in a several thousand node network, while making sure that your testing dosent cost merle lynch about a million per minute. Why did i end up in realestate again? o ya better hours more money nicer toys. Whew flash backs are rough huh. lol

Unless your age is listed incorrectly - I am wondering just how far "back in the day" and "flash backs" can go when you are 21... :roll: ;)

Oh - and the 8way box just got upgraded with 2.8GHz 4MB cache procs... and another 4GB's of RAM. ;)

gtx28
04-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Well my age is not incorrect, I am 21 I have had many experiences, more so than most people twice my age. If you have questions just ask.

Erez
04-27-2004, 09:18 PM
so many numbers... :? :lol: i really have no idea what that all mean.. except thats not a 'PC'... cause it doesn't seem to for such personal usage.. but really i have no idea what i'm talking about.. heres a pic of mine..
http://www.planetsideimages.com/uploads/1083115055_Image1.jpg

i have no idea what that mean... :lol: but it better be good! :lol:

*EDIT* - sorry for the Heb.. lol.. i usually use an english windows.. but i got the PC like this and i'm too lazy to reinstall windows for this.. :lol:

v0od0o
04-29-2004, 05:22 AM
4 GB is barely enough for such a system, I have one processor and 1 GB RAM so 4GB shouldn't be a lot with 8 Xeons with hyperthreading...
Hey RC45, why don't u do some real world benchmarks and send us the stuff, since you laid hands on a system like that :D maybe some 3D rendering, divx encoding or even some tpc benchmarks (http://www.tpc.org/information/benchmarks.asp)

v0od0o
04-29-2004, 05:38 AM
I haven't read the second page when I posted this one :oops:
I see you now have 8 GB of RAM, that's a lot better ;)
Anyway, I see you've already done some video encoding tests, maybe you can try that tpc thing I am sure the machine will show its best there.