PDA

View Full Version : how u know if ur monitor is fucked?

twboy1999
03-30-2004, 06:03 PM
hi

i got my CRT monitor like during 1997

well... since couple of days ago..i think my monitor is sick.. not sure if there are anyway to fix it

the problem is

on the screen.. i keep on seeing moving lines..dun really know how to describe it..it shows specially under white screen
is like the refresh rate are slow....not sure

anyone nkow whats wrong with it?

Anonymous
03-30-2004, 06:05 PM
if it doesnt work then its fucked up

Tomerville
03-30-2004, 06:29 PM
Try going to your videocard properties, and then moniter refresh rate. Up it if it's low. If that doesn't work, then try just degaussing your moniter. Otherwise, yeah, your fucked.

jasc
03-30-2004, 06:34 PM
DO NOT TURN UP YOUR REFRESH RATE. You have to know what is the max refresh rate your monitor can handle. If you go to high your monitor will explode. Just go buy a new monitor; if you haven't changed any settings there is no reason for your vertical refresh to be wacky.

jasc
03-30-2004, 07:07 PM
Who told me that? My brother who is a 24 year old Computer Engineer. He has 4 summers under his belt working for Ryerson University in Canada.

crazidude
03-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Your monitor won't explode if you turn the refresh rate up. Really old monitors tried to work at the refresh rate you set so if it's too high then it'll just die really fast. More modern monitors would just show up as a blank screen or make a funny sound, but it shouldn't explode.

jasc
03-30-2004, 08:33 PM
If by "die really fast" you mean eventually sparking and smoking then fine. My point was turning up the refresh rate is a stupid idea.

jasc
03-31-2004, 05:39 AM
BTW he is a Computer Engineer; maybe you should learn to read before you call people dumber than horses asses. Computer Science is not synonymous w/ Computer Engineering. :fist: Your stupid point about your particular monitor just means you have put it at the max that it was designed for. You can damage your monitor by going over the threshold; so ur example was as retarded as you 0X

jasc
03-31-2004, 03:06 PM
I know XP has a "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" feature. I doubt his monitor has a dedicated XP driver; and If he is running '98 that just makes the problem worse (people don't bother installing the drivers and it is recognized as a Plug and Play monitor). Since you're such a genius, tell us when (i.e. year) they started building hardware failsafes into monitors.

crazidude
03-31-2004, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure when they added the failsafe thing into the monitors, but I'm pretty sure it was a while ago. Also, Windows 98 has an optimal refresh rate setting which is normall 60Hz when no drivers are installed. Also, if it's an old monitor Windows might even have drivers for it.

And when I said "die really fast" I don't mean sparks and smoke. It'll just display a blank image, not turn on, or the image is screwed up.

Tomerville
03-31-2004, 03:25 PM
Who told me that? My brother who is a 24 year old Computer Engineer. He has 4 summers under his belt working for Ryerson University in Canada

Do you really talk to your brother about individual threads on JW?

jasc
03-31-2004, 07:47 PM
No I do not talk to my brother about individual threads on JW. :roll: I asked him a question about refresh rates out of curiosity before this thread ever surfaced.

itsthepham
04-10-2004, 04:15 AM
my monitor is beyond fucked. Ruins picture and video images. Got it in the late 90's I guess. Stupid 15"...makes everything dark.

crazidude
04-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Monitors don't cost that much anymore, unless you're looking at high end CRTs. LCDs have become affordable now, but I wouldn't want to buy one because a 19" one still costs a lot.

Wide
04-12-2004, 08:09 AM
Don't know the history about the failsafe feature.. Cause its not important for me 2 know.. At around 90's maybe you can have a problem because of increasin your refresh rate.. But nowadays its impossible.. Windows has protection for it and also all the monitors have protection for it also.. And yes I'm also a Computer Engineer..

gtx28
04-25-2004, 06:03 PM
Actually there are alot of ways to over ride refresh rates and yes the monitor will explode, and blue and green and wierd color smoke, and strange smells will come out of the monitor, especially if it is a 17in kds crt. How do you know this o magical gtx, well ill tell you mr wizzard, I was screwing around with refreshrates, and didnt set them back and went in a game, and about 2 mins into a game boom. lol I hate to learn the hard way.