PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting my handbrake

heath
08-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Hey guys,

I've got a 94 camry csi and my handbrake is really weak...any ideas as to how I adjust it? I've thought about getting the service manual for it but its $au40 and I didn't wanna spend that much on a book that I'm probably only going to use once....

anyway...if anyone has any ideas as to how adjust this thing please post it or pm me...

dis3as3d
08-05-2003, 12:04 PM
I know that the handbrake on my camaro is self adjusting...

heath
08-08-2003, 01:21 AM
hmm....well that doesn't exactly help now does it....

novass
08-08-2003, 04:15 AM
sometimes you can fix a "loose" handbrake by goin in reverse and lifting up the brake to skid. i had a loose brake in a beater i used to have and a mechanic friend told me to try that and it worked fine. i got up to about 20 and yanked on the brake and it started workin

heath
08-08-2003, 10:23 AM
well I've decided to take her to a mechanic for a service...so I'll get old greasy tits to give her a tune up and a bit of a tighten...

anyway thanks for the idea mate.

heath
08-30-2003, 04:25 AM
For anyone that may or may not care...I never did take the ol' camry to the mechanic...

I instead started working at a spare parts store...and low and behold bought a manual on how to service my car....and let me tell you all! If you don't have a manual for your car yet, GO AND GET ONE! I had my handbrake fixed in 10min! Simple little nut in under the centre console! YAY for Haynes manuals!!

GT-R_R34
09-20-2003, 12:59 AM
got to love those hayes manual.

hotgemini
01-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but you shouldn't just adjust the handbrake at the lever. Most cars with an 'internal handbrake' inside the disc rotor will have some means of adjustment. Usually at the 'self-adjuster' (a toothed wheel with a one-way ratchet mechanism), self-adjusters are a misnomer, they never adjust adequately, they should be called 'self-partly-adjusters'. Assuming there isn't a wear lip on the internal drum surface and that all parts are in a servicable condition, the usual procedure is (with the handbrake DISENGAGED) to remove the caliper and support it somehow so it isn't hanging by the hose. Then remove the rear disc rotor, adjust the self adjuster until you can only just slide it back over the handbrake shoe, refit the caliper and wheel.

This ensures PROPER contact between the full face of the handbrake shoe, rather than just the leading edge which is what will happen if you just 'take up the slack' at the handbrake lever itself.

Note: a similar procedure usually applies for adjusting 'full function' drum brakes.

zevolv
01-08-2004, 09:37 PM
I know on my car there is a spring loaded tensioner on the rear frame where the line turns and goes to the wheel.

hotgemini
01-08-2004, 09:47 PM
If I correctly understand what you are describing, then I believe that will be seperate and independant of the adjustment if your car has an internal handbrake mechanism as I outlined above.