PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with old skyline(not much but fun for me)

redline
03-28-2004, 10:36 PM
Hey all
Heres my 1988 R31 Nissan Skyline GX
Its not much but its a start :D
Not many people know of the R31's but i like em because they are cheap, reliable and if i wanna go fast, new skyline parts are easy to fit 8)
http://users.froggy.com.au/tiger19/images/redline_06.jpg
http://users.froggy.com.au/tiger19/images/redline_07.jpg

PATo355
03-28-2004, 10:50 PM
Wow , never saw that model b4 , how fast can it go ?

Minacious
03-28-2004, 10:55 PM
I had no idea those existed. That is sweet. Mod that puppy up and turn it into the ultimate sleeper. :D

redline
03-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Its an Australian made R31. 3litre Straight 6. RB30E. 115kW. Bigger in capacity than the newer skylines but no turbo and only single cam. BUT u can put the twin cams and turbos on very easily to make a very good sleeper.
Popular mods include swapping the Japanese import R31 engine in (RB20DET), 2 Litre twin cam Turbo.
OR
Swapping the VL commodore turbo engine in(Holden VL commodore had same engine but also had a turbo option)
OR
Pretty much any nissan engine(RB25, RB26, CA18, SR20)

The best thing about R31's is (well i think anyways) that they are pretty much a granny car in Australia, but they are very easy to mod and because they are a nissan, there are many options :)

hemi_fan
03-28-2004, 11:47 PM
wow, never seen one of those before. thats pretty sweet! do you plan to do any of these mods that you speak of, or have you already done any? That car would be awesome with a few performance parts!

redline
03-29-2004, 12:13 AM
its only got a cat back sports exhaust at the moment ... i plan on doin a lot of the mods ... one of these days
Its a series 2 .. i have fitted series 3 tail lights ... heres a pic of the original series 2 ones look a bit like.

http://home.1asphost.com/redliner31/models/series1-2/ti_06.jpg

The series 3's also have a betta looking front end which u can fit by swapping the bonnet, grill, headlights and bumper ...
I would like to fit them one day .. looks much more modern
http://home.1asphost.com/redliner31/models/series3/silhouette_02.jpg

Kangaroo Boy
03-29-2004, 01:07 AM
Redline,My mate owns a 1988 HR31 Skyline Silouhette..It came out with Factory headers and 2 3/4 inch exhaust.The top speed we got out of it was 210km/hr..I just had an accident not so long in it,its getting repair soon,and I found they are hard to drive in the wet.Does your car get sideways pretty easy?Also do you have a LSD fitted in?

Tomerville
03-29-2004, 01:16 AM
wow, thats tight! two wheel drive im guessing?

redline
03-29-2004, 01:59 AM
yeah RWD of course :D
Kangaroo boy your sort of confused ... your mates car would be an R31 Silhouette GTS ... 250 made .. 130kW ... white with white wheels ... u never get that much at the wheels .. 130 is at the flywheel ... the designation HR31 is used for the 2-door coupe models that we get around here iported from japan ... the aussie ones arent called HR31's ... the silhouette(sports model) and silhouette GTS(top spec one) have LSD 's std but mine mines only povo pack so i dont have much equipment in mine
the series 3 silhouette gts has 140kW and is red with white wheels also 250 of them made .... very nice ... im state rep for the r31 club and so have a lot of info at my fingertips :shock:
heres a gallery i have been compiling of the r31 models that we get around here
(the server is down now but should be up later)
http://home.1asphost.com/redliner31/models/r31s.html

also do u know if you mate has heard of the club?
What number is his GTS? (there is a number on a badge on the glovebox front)

Kangaroo Boy
03-29-2004, 08:10 AM
He doesn't have a GTS(sadly because they really do look nice)..He owns just a normal R31 series 1 Silouhette.But,He told me that the Silouhette came with With the header(he has still got) and a sports exhuast originally 2 3/4 but he doesn't have the orginally exhaust and has been change for stainless steel box with mild steel pipping.He told me they came out with 130kw on the flywheel as you said with the GTS model.But he told me the GTS(series 1) had more like 140kw at the flywheel due to the nissan SVD cam that was replaced from the normal factory one and the computer was upgraded.....I dunno because I don't own these type of cars.. .But anyway,he is with www.R31skylineclub.com but is joinning the local Sports Car Club in newcastle ...But thanks for the advice.
HR31 2 door had the Rb20det engine and was orginally racing in the ATCC in 1989 by Jim Richards and Mark Skaife.
http://home.1asphost.com/redliner31/models/series1-2/silhouette_04_small.jpg
His car looks very close to this one.

redline
03-29-2004, 07:43 PM
dont think so ... they have them in South Africa

The only R31 models that had more than 115kW were the GTS models the silhouette just has a LSD and alloys over my GX
The GTS1's have 130kW through extractors, different cam and add-on computer. The GTS2's just have a bit more of the same(140kW).
It was possible to get the GTS engines in other models from the factory ... ive heard of a couple. But the only mechanical difference the silhouette's had is the LSD

novass
03-30-2004, 04:14 AM
Very cool, never seen one of those. That thing would be a perfect sleeper. We got shafted on all sorts of skylines :(

VerderameJ
03-31-2004, 04:40 PM
Very cool car to have. Sleepers are always the most fun at the line. The look on the other guys face is always a riot. Have fun with that Skyline. Should be a real kick.

Erdmann
04-12-2004, 01:51 PM
DidnĀ“t they burn one of these in Top Gear with the flame of a dragster turbine??? :D :D

RC45
04-12-2004, 10:44 PM
dont think so ... they have them in South Africa

This is true - and while South Africa never got the "Skyline Coupe" that the Gran Turismo franchise made famous the world over, the "sedan" modelled R30 and R31 Skyline 2.8 GTX coupe (South African model only) was a really good road car.

http://home.mweb.co.za/jv/jvantura/assets/images/JohnSkyline3.jpg

In saloon car racing it was pitted against the likes of the 5.0 V8 Ford Sierra XR8 (A South AFrica only model), the BMW 745i M1 engined 6-cylinder saloon (another South Africa only car) and the BMW 333i (yet another SA only model) and the AUdi 500 Quattro sedan (it was not banned from South African racing as in the rest of the world) and for a number of years these "monster saloons" battled their way across the race tracks of South Africa - and the road going Skyline GTX was the only car that was affordable and plentiful enough for you the regular race fans to own what was racing on the track.

And, yes, they do make for excellent sleepers - although it is difficult to muffle the bellow of a tuned Nissan straight six... ;)

Erdmann
04-13-2004, 11:05 AM
WoW, really nice car. That looks brilliant, I like this old fashioned cars with all that plastic bumpers :D Seems to be fast...

BADMIHAI
04-13-2004, 07:23 PM
wow! Crappy car, mate :) Still...it looks very clean!