PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Battlefields: vietnam v 1942

CMonakar
03-25-2004, 07:37 PM
I have been a long time fan of BF1942 and recently purchased Battlefield Vietnam. Vietnam is technically superior in many ways, but in some respects I prefer the original.

First, they seem to have toned down the intensity of the new game: the gun sound effects are more muffled, bodies don't go flying when hit with tank shells and there is no blood to speak of. I know all these things sound a little grotesque, but they helped make 1942 more immersive.

Second, vehicles play a less significant role in the new game, just as was true in the war itself. It's too bad because the interplay between the vehicles and personnel is what distinguishes 1942 from other first person shooters. There are a few planes in the new game, but there isn't much you can do with them and they are far less interesting to fly, or even observe. Whereas in the first game you could tell when someone was dive bombing your location by the change in pitch of the plane's engine sound, in Vietnam all you hear is a steady, muted turbine noise regardless of what's going on. I also miss bombarding bases with the battleships and sinking air craft carriers with the submarines.

Anyway, I am curious to hear what other 1942 players think of the new game.

SFDMALEX
03-25-2004, 09:00 PM
I did not have a chance to play Vietnam but I do like 1942 quite a lot. I have to go out to get the original since the developers do deserve their money.

Thanks for your impressions. I always prefer to hear an honest opinion then some of the lame ass reviews on the net.