PDA

View Full Version : Had a virus...need help fixing! system32 has gone walkies

jon_s
08-02-2003, 07:40 AM
Hummm, I got a virus of Kazaa.....good old McAfee managed to miss it before it deleted shit loads of files. It got rid of the 'system32' file, I am trying to replace it, but I am not sure where my windows CD is....and I would prefere not to re-install windows.

Anyone know what I can do?

Oh and in keeping with this section. My setup:

2.0GHz P4
256mb SyncDRAM
40Gb HD
GeForce II Graphics card

Jabba
08-02-2003, 08:04 AM
if you know the exact name of the file you are missing I could send you it...if that would help ???

jon_s
08-02-2003, 09:28 AM
oooooooo yes please!

draak666
08-02-2003, 02:00 PM
Jon_s,

can you tell us how you got the virus. With what file did it come?
Since most of us are on Kazaa, we'd like to know what we can do to protect ourselves, so a little more info please...?

jon_s
08-03-2003, 04:11 PM
indeed, hang on..........

It came with Cinema 4D I believe.

Virus name w32/HLLP.hantaner.worm

DeMoN
08-24-2003, 12:47 AM
if it is asking for that file, I doubt you can replace it using someone else. You can, however, install windows OVER your current directory, you wouldnt loose anything. I think that would be the best option. Formating and installing again would make your comp faster though...

AlienDB7
08-24-2003, 01:02 AM
Do you mean the system32 directory? There're lots of files in there, most likely your only option is to install windows over it.

Some information on the worm: http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99881.htm

From the description, seems like it's targeted at kazaa users... from MPAA/RIAA? ;)

Since that worm doesn't infect any file outside the kazaa download directory, it's possible that something else deleted yours system32. Update your mcafee with the latest definition and scan your whole computer again. Some viruses disguise themselves as "system32.exe" so that could be a problem as well.

Wide
08-24-2003, 05:20 AM
Set the auto update for Anti-Virus programs.. Every week it downloads the newest virus definitions.. This can help you in the future..
I advice u formattin.. It will make your system faster and cleaner..