PDA

View Full Version : The V10 Engine. What Is The History On It?

FusionWave18
08-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Now before the dodge viper was introduced as a concept in 1989. What other car had the V10 or wasnt there one? Now lamborghini is using a V10. I have heard the downsides of a v10. But why is this engine rarly used? And the New porsche as well has it. But why arent auto makers using it much?

666fast
08-01-2003, 09:28 PM
They don't use it much because of economy and cost. At least that is what I can figure. You can get decent mileage out of one, but not as good as you would get out of a V8 or even better, a V6. I don't know the cost to produce a V10, but I would bet it costs quite a bit more than a V8. Obviously, with two more cylinders, they have more metal and bigger intakes and exhaust systems.
Then there is the size of the thing. V10's are not what you would call small. Cars are getting smaller and smaller due to crowded streets and highways. The weight brings up the economoy issue again. More weight to sling around means it'll need mroe power, which will decrease it's fuel efficiency.

I don't know what the first car to use a V10 was, but I'm sure it wasn't the Viper. A lot of old Duesenburgs had very big motors. I wouldn't be surprised if V10's went back to 1920.

fedezyl
08-01-2003, 09:32 PM
I've heard that V10 is the most efficient configuration too...that's why F1 engines are in that configuration maybe??

666fast
08-01-2003, 09:35 PM
I've heard that V10 is the most efficient configuration too...that's why F1 engines are in that configuration maybe??

I would think that if V10 engines were the most efficient there is, then there would be a lot more cars with them. Wasn't the whole idea of smaller capacity engines for better economy?
In the 70's, there was a shortage for gas and that is why the muscle car died. They automakers brought out more efficient cars.

fedezyl
08-01-2003, 09:47 PM
Well i'm talking about efficiency power wise, I think though they don't build it in great quantities because of a complexity and expense issue, it's cheaper to build a 4 cylinder engine by far, but the best way to get power out of an engine seems to be a V10, well naturally aspirated of course..
I don't know...I know that the V10 that the viper has is a tuned version of the one in the Dodge Ram, I think Chevrolet has a V10 too...

FusionWave18
08-02-2003, 01:14 AM
Well obviously cuz cars today are underpowerd. Ur everyday car. I mean hell lambo uses a v12. So do many other exotics. I guess only expensive auto makers use that sort of thing "MAINLY" Now with porsche and lambo getting a v10. Its just from what i see the least common engine.

FusionWave18
08-02-2003, 01:16 AM
Muscle cars also died. Due to the strict emmision standards as well. They got hammerd for it. And then it faded.

alondahan
08-03-2003, 01:17 AM

F1 engines are V10 due to regulations. the regulations say that the engine must be with 10 cylinders, no more and no less.

sbbs
08-03-2003, 01:06 PM
I'd say it this way. "The V6 Engine. What Is The History On It?" or "The V8 Engine. What Is The History On It?"

Actually what determined the size of the engine in a car is basically the target of the manufacturer towards the demand of the market.

Just take the Muscle Car craze era for an example, every manufacturers built cars with big blocks that consume a few gallons of fuel per mile. Then when the oil crisis strikes, the way of making cars are different. Smaller engines, lighter cars etc.

Through out the world, how many people that buy cars because they have V10 under the hood?

So back to the topic, there's no accurate answer for But why is this engine rarly used? It depends on the life style and the demand that keeps changing nowadays. MAYBE we'll face oil crisis again tomorrow, who knows? MAYBE we'll have to use bicycles in the future.

Oh ya, correct me if I'm wrong. I like people correcting me, that's what improves me.

FusionWave18
08-05-2003, 01:37 AM
When i asked the history on it. Its the least used engine in road cars. Look how often the v12 is used in exotics.

maalox
08-07-2003, 08:08 PM
V10s are less balanced than both V8s and V12s because they have an odd number of cylinders on each bank if I remember correctly. I think they were originally chosen for F1 because they were an irregular configuration--choosing a V12 would give manufacturers like Ferrari a distinct experience advantage.