PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Gordon possible to fill seat at Williams????

pengajim
03-09-2004, 02:36 PM
NEW YORK, N.Y. (March 6)- - Jeff Gordon reportedly will attend the Barcelona Grand Prix on May 9 in Barcelona, Spain as a guest of the BMW Williams Formula One team. According to a published report, Gordon has been invited to participate in a four-day test session for the BMW Williams team. The test session, held later this year, would give Gordon the opportunity to try his hand in an F1 car in a regular test session. Last year Gordon participated in a publicity-type session where he turned ten laps in one of Juan Pablo Montoya's older cars at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course. The team was impressed enough to invite Gordon back for an encore. Gordon has steadfastly denied any interest in leaving NASCAR to race Formula One cars. Time will tell.

Toronto
03-09-2004, 02:49 PM
he is to big to be an F1 driver, just like paul tracy, they were just having fun with him :D

aliendude012
03-09-2004, 03:17 PM
I don't think it would happen. The NASCAR loving redneck community would be in an uproar. Besides, no matter how much he may have impressed certain members of the Williams family at those test sessions, I can't believe that any NASCAR driver has enough skill or balls to handle a full-length race in a fully prepared F1 car.

Drive4Ever
03-09-2004, 03:38 PM
i highly doubt....he is not that good, besides, Nascar is boring IMO going around a circle like 100 times, but the whole sport is about drafting behind cars

Anonymous
03-09-2004, 10:13 PM
alot of educated opinions here.

firstly, on speed channel jeff and montoya swaped cars and raced them around a track at which jeff "redneck driving left turns only" gordon was 4 secs of montoyas best lap in the F1 car. not bad i think.

second, an american in F1 would be huge especially a established motorsport winner as jeff. he could get many rednecks and americans to watch the sport and be interested in an event watch & dominated mostly by euros.

third, look at williams driver lineup next season...none!! montoya will be in a mclaren and ralf is on his way out as well, jeff would certainly be a good gamble for a team that will lose good drivers.

4thly, jeff is a good racer and one of the best nascar drivers out there. there wont be an uproar in nascar as they would love to see their fellow redneck succeed and give euros a run for their money.

my couple of cents, feel free to agree/disagree.

ps- im not a huge nascar fan so all that wasnt biased plus i do have the vids of jeff in a F1 and montoya in a nascar stock car. small 2-3mb vids. let me know if anyone wants them.

campank
03-09-2004, 11:30 PM
I am by no means a NASCAR expert nor even a fan for that matter, but the problem is that as frugal as Williams is with money, I don't think they could match Gordon's NASCAR salary (which I think is around $25M). I mean if they dont want to invest $15M on Ralf who at least has the potential to win a championship why would they want to invest $25M on a pretty much untested F1 driver. Now if he started turning out great laps then all the better.

Yes, Gordon was 4 seconds behind Montoya's best lap, but so are the Minardis.

The one thing that I did get out of that Montoya/Gordon special on Speed Channel was how boring NASCARs are to drive in comparason to F1. I do think it would be cool to see an American in F1, but I don't think it will be Gordon. If I had to guess probably Townsend Bell has a pretty good chance in the next season or two and he will not demand as much salary either..

blah
03-10-2004, 01:38 AM
You people SERIOUSLY underestimate the skills of these rednecks. Did you guys happen to catch the World Racing Championship or what ever it was named. Jeff Gordan actually beat WRC drivers in their own cars. So lets no underestimate him. Only problem is that F1 would conflict with his Nascar career, so id say this is a no go. Think about how much money this guy makes from Nascar Endorsements alone.

Toronto
03-10-2004, 01:08 PM
alot of educated opinions here.

firstly, on speed channel jeff and montoya swaped cars and raced them around a track at which jeff "redneck driving left turns only" gordon was 4 secs of montoyas best lap in the F1 car. not bad i think.

4seconds is a land slide in f1, and wasn't montoya going in a nascar that is slower around a track then f1, that is real shity time for jeff

crasherror
03-10-2004, 01:28 PM
You people SERIOUSLY underestimate the skills of these rednecks. Did you guys happen to catch the World Racing Championship or what ever it was named. Jeff Gordan actually beat WRC drivers in their own cars. So lets no underestimate him. Only problem is that F1 would conflict with his Nascar career, so id say this is a no go. Think about how much money this guy makes from Nascar Endorsements alone.

i saw that. Jeff beat up the other drivers in theri own racing cars. I HATE NASCAR! but it does take a lot of skill to win the World Racing Championship. I thinks getting a "nascar superstar" to get in to F1 would only help the sport.

If he goes in to f1 he won't win a championship.

sentra_dude
03-10-2004, 01:28 PM
I am definitely not a fan of NASCAR...seems pretty boring to me, and I don't like the people who usually watch it, but that doesn't mean it has bad drivers...

Yes, Gordon was 4 seconds behind Montoya's best lap, but so are the Minardis.

Well shit, his first time ever in an F1 car...sorry he couldn't beat the track record guys.

not a chance of that ever happening, especially if BMW expects to stay as a top contender and not to mention he doesnt have what it takes.

Really, he doesn’t have what it takes, you know this how? :roll: Just because he drives redneck dream cars all day doesn't mean he can't handle a change in atmosphere and car type.

ae86_16v
03-10-2004, 04:59 PM
I would be nice to have an American in the sport again. And the fact that Jeff came from a karting background definitely helps. Most of those guys are from karting anyways. I know that he usually dominates at the two road courses that Nascar does have on their schedule.

But I don't know, if he is good "enough", I much rather see aÂ*Jacques Villeneuve or Jenson Button. I think that Mark Webbers contract expires in two years, unless they do a trade or something.

Anonymous
03-12-2004, 01:24 PM
well all i have to say is if tom cruise can go from an F1 to a Nascar in days of thunder then jeff can go from a nascar to an F1 car, simple if then statements, right?? :mrgreen:

Anonymous
03-12-2004, 01:24 PM
well all i have to say is if tom cruise can go from an F1 to a Nascar in days of thunder then jeff can go from a nascar to an F1 car, simple if then statements, right?? :mrgreen:

Anonymous
03-16-2004, 06:15 PM
i would love to see jeff gordan try to race in F1 hahahahaha :infinity: http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/513/618103046e-med.jpg

RM05
03-17-2004, 07:49 PM
I would think JV would be a better candidate for the spot with Williams. HE was with them in 1997 and won the wrold championship before. He just might be able to do it again. He was very unlucky when he signed with BAR as too many mechanical and some internal problems was a big upset for him and his team. But I think Jacques Villenueve would fit that spot for Williams for 2005. Just my opinion though. :D

bluesbrother60
03-17-2004, 08:05 PM
I for one and completely against Jeff coming to F1. My personal opinion is that while God was creating F1 he sneezed and out came NASCAR. Plus I know that the sponsors of Jeff are companies that market to the type of people that watch NASCAR. I'm sure he is binded by contract to them in some way. Also he was at the top of his game but is now having to work harder than ever to keep his stats up.

SPEEDCORE
03-18-2004, 06:28 AM
The silly season has started early this year in F1 :D

Drivers get tested alot for seats for F1 all the time and at the time of the test they get high reviews etc then 6mths later you never hear from them again. A test in a Williams F1 car doesnt mean he will automatically become a F1 driver.

Thou like someone suggested above, he would need to get a huge paycut(if not pay for a seat) to get into a WilliamsF1 seat. WIll be interesting to see what happens.

Anonymous
03-18-2004, 11:16 AM
you dont think that pepsi would love for jeff gordon to go to f1. If he did sign a contract with a team im sure pepsi has and contract with gordon insuring the sponsoring of thier company on any car he drives.

and they know hes going to fail so he will go back to neckcar, being the only non REDNECK .

all you nascar lovers talk about how much you like gordon. but remember what you were saying about him when he started. nobody liked him because he was from New York.

cadsy48
03-18-2004, 07:08 PM
ireally dont think the market is there for NASCAR fans. If even jeff was good enough ( which i dont think he would be, NASCARS are completely different to drive at length and not at length than F1 cars, WRC cars which he drove are not as hard to adjust to, hence him being able to post good timesi n them) he still wouldnt be drawing the crowds because people who watch that 'racing' consider driving around in a circle a lot better than real racing. foot to the floor racing is dull and for someone to make the transition into harder, more comptetitive and frankly more sophisticated racing is not going to happen.

the sport is a global sport something the rednecks who watch NASCAR just cant grasp

beemrmem3
03-25-2004, 08:50 PM
It will never happen. Why would he take such a paycut. He knows he could not compete in F1

Kangaroo Boy
03-25-2004, 09:44 PM
Mark Webber is going Williams proably(depends how he goes this year) in 2005.So I can't see Jeff Gordon in a Williams any time soon..IMO Webber has more skills and has worked alot harder to get into f1 then some Yank racing around a circle in a Nascar winning championships.

Anonymous
03-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Mark Webber is going Williams proably(depends how he goes this year) in 2005.So I can't see Jeff Gordon in a Williams any time soon..IMO Webber has more skills and has worked alot harder to get into f1 then some Yank racing around a circle in a Nascar winning championships.

well that is a probability, along with another probablility that the Yank could do well in F1.

blah blah blah, speculation and needless banter, we will see what happens when the time comes.

Anonymous
03-26-2004, 01:02 PM
jeff gordon going to f1 would bring more fans to F1 than webber isnt that a (bread) skills mean shit its all about money.

Anonymous
03-26-2004, 01:14 PM
jeff gordon going to f1 would bring more fans to F1 than webber isnt that a (bread) skills mean shit its all about money.

OK TERRIFIC!! :wink: :roll:

Kangaroo Boy
03-27-2004, 05:06 AM

What does that have to do with the Price of fish in Japan?If you were right about that,and drivers didn't need skilll,its all about Marketing and money why don't they place slim shady in a F1 car,That would get the fans and the money.

Because some Nascar driver that has won so many Nascar events,its like saying lets get Mark Skaife(5 ATCC.3 ADC,and 4 times bathurst 1000 winner) to race for williams....
As aggrivated man said,lets see what happends in time.

beemrmem3
03-29-2004, 06:09 PM
On the show Trading Paint when JPM and Gordon traded cars. He said he wasnt interested in leaving NASCAR. JPM said he wasnt interested in NASCAR either. He said "Give me ten years in F1, then we will see"