PDA

View Full Version : ctrl + alt + del help

geekdiggy
03-03-2004, 07:56 AM
every time i ctrl + alt + delete i get this window:

http://www.freepixhosting.com/uploadedfiles/cad.jpg

how do i get a different ctrl + alt + del window to display? there was another one that showed a few days ago where i could just right click on any icon in the window and end the task, then i accidentally right clicked and something happened and now ^^that's the window i see. i can't close that window without right clicking on the little green icon in the task tray. and from that window i can't end any tasks/processes cuz if i do i get this warning:

http://www.freepixhosting.com/uploadedfiles/tmw.JPG

help :|

fishfreek
03-03-2004, 10:13 AM
That window should have other tabs. The view your showing is the 'processes' tab. There should be an applications tab, performance tab, networking tab and maybe even a users tab. If you click on the applications tab you will be able to end task the specific application.

of course if you know the process name for the specific application you want to end you can do it from the process's tab aswell.

dragula_bassman
03-03-2004, 10:30 AM
I just had to read the post, the headline is kinda funny if you think about it!(not laughing at the problem you are actually having, that is)
" ctrl + alt + del help"

TT
03-03-2004, 11:08 AM
BTW, you have a shitload of apps going on!

stracing
03-03-2004, 11:57 AM
it looks pretty normal for the amount of processes running to me. i've got 42 atm

TT
03-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Wow, I never have more than 20 usually :D

fishfreek
03-03-2004, 12:08 PM
TT arnt you running win98 still?

Win98 does not show processes if I am correct just applications. Its not uncommon to have betwen 26-35 processes running at a given moment. Many of them are tied to the OS vs being program specific.

TT
03-03-2004, 12:10 PM
AH yes, win98.. ops.. I thought also WinXP just shows applicatons.. sorry :D

fishfreek
03-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Nope. thats why Winxp and Win2K are real OSes vs the Win9X kiddie OS. :mrgreen:

TT
03-03-2004, 12:46 PM
HAHAHA, that's why I use Win98 :D and considering to go back to Win95 :P

Tomerville
03-03-2004, 01:13 PM
HAHAHA, that's why I use Win98 and considering to go back to Win95

Eh TT, you feeling alright mang? hahah that is the first time ive ever heard anyone say anything like that!

TT
03-03-2004, 01:20 PM
No I was kidding about the Win95 part, but so far even if I have the CD with XP Pro on it, I don't need to upgrade. And since the CD was here beside me for a couple of years now, I doubt I will feel the need in the future :D win98 is perfect to me, and as long as new programs will keep working on it, fine :D

RC45
03-04-2004, 12:13 AM
every time i ctrl + alt + delete i get this window:

how do i get a different ctrl + alt + del window to display? there was another one that showed a few days ago where i could just right click on any icon in the window and end the task, then i accidentally right clicked and something happened and now ^^that's the window i see. i can't close that window without right clicking on the little green icon in the task tray. and from that window i can't end any tasks/processes cuz if i do i get this warning:

http://www.freepixhosting.com/uploadedfiles/tmw.JPG

help :|

Ever thought of getting Idiot's guide to Windows ?

gigdy
03-04-2004, 12:17 AM
Hey geek did you ever get it fixed??

geekdiggy
03-04-2004, 12:33 AM
That window should have other tabs. The view your showing is the 'processes' tab. There should be an applications tab, performance tab, networking tab and maybe even a users tab.

nope. no tabs. the window appears exactly as i posted it. any other tips? i right clicked all over the place and haven't found anything usefull :|

dragula_bassman
03-04-2004, 12:33 AM
LOL RC45

geekdiggy
03-04-2004, 12:34 AM
Ever thought of getting Idiot's guide to Windows ?

no cuz it's not free :|

crazidude
03-04-2004, 12:44 AM
Thats odd... when did this start to happen? Did you install something before this started to happen?

antonioledesma
03-04-2004, 12:51 AM
taking a little advantage of this topic and looking at geek's task manager.
Any of you guys know a program that lets you see all the processes that the computer carries on, even the hidden ones, tells what they do, all of their characteristics, etc
I have a couple of processes I don't have an idea what they are and do. I run XP and hate it, my last laptop had 2000 and I knew all the processes that were runnning, but here in XP there are lots of processes

please help or tell me to go very far away

geekdiggy
03-04-2004, 01:01 AM
well gee thanks for asking help in MY help thread.

Thats odd... when did this start to happen? Did you install something before this started to happen?

idunno man. i had a window that had tabs and stuff like fishy described but i right clicked somewhere and accidently clicked something else and then a different window showed. then it happened AGAIN and now there's the window that i posted.

if someone wants to contact me on aim my sn is Dorky Malorkus. it's much easier to describe it through aim.

dragula_bassman
03-04-2004, 01:03 AM
go very far away!LOL J/K

RC45
03-04-2004, 02:12 AM
taking a little advantage of this topic and looking at geek's task manager.
Any of you guys know a program that lets you see all the processes that the computer carries on, even the hidden ones, tells what they do, all of their characteristics, etc
I have a couple of processes I don't have an idea what they are and do. I run XP and hate it, my last laptop had 2000 and I knew all the processes that were runnning, but here in XP there are lots of processes

please help or tell me to go very far away

Process Explorer is what you are looking for. Use it as my primary first-line diagnostic tool.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

geekdiggy
03-04-2004, 09:28 PM
anybody? :|

oscargarza88
03-04-2004, 09:34 PM
that window is basiclyy the same as the one u said u had before, the only difference is that instead of right clicking on the program u just press the botton at the bottom, and its strange that u dont have tabs at the top, what xp do u have? home or pro?
and no i dont know how to fix that

RC45
03-05-2004, 12:13 AM
Easy: You are running task manager in tiny footprint mode. You enabled this by double clicking on the tabs...

Just double click on the border of the window to switch modes.. ;)

I couldn't let you suffer any more... LOL

p.s. Idiots Guide to XP is half-price at CompUSA until Saturday... ;)

geekdiggy
03-05-2004, 03:15 AM
RC45. you know, sometimes you touch me. you're a real asshole to those who deserve it (much like i am) and you also have your fun with folks such as myself. yet here i am, in dire suffering, and you manage to put that all aside to help me out. sometimes, i don't know what i'd do without you. thank you. dearly.

if i'm single by the time i'm 40, will you marry me?

oldsnail
03-05-2004, 07:22 AM
a simple double click does the job if u want to view the tabs..

geekdiggy
03-05-2004, 07:52 AM
a simple double click does the job if u want to view the tabs..

word homie you're about two posts too late

draak666
03-07-2004, 02:56 PM
Thanks RC45. I had the same problem as geek, but I still got a list of the applications. While reading geek's post I rightclicked to see what his problem was (for I am an idiot :roll: ) and I got this useless list of processes instead of the appications. Luckily your answer was on page two of this thread. Thanks. 0X

gigdy
03-07-2004, 03:13 PM
i find looking at the processes is generally more useful then the program list.

gtx28
03-07-2004, 06:56 PM
Lol someone said that winxp and win2k are for real users lol thats hilarious, you want a real os, use linux, or get a unix box, and use unix. They are without a doubt the most powerfull os's on the planet. And although ive not tried it yet, ive heard that lindows version of linux is supposed to be easyer to use than windows for all you meatheads that need and easy opperating system lol jk. Laters.

draak666
03-07-2004, 07:17 PM
i find looking at the processes is generally more useful then the program list.
The program list is useful when you want to break off an application. I hardly know all the processes on the other list.

RC45
03-07-2004, 09:49 PM
Lol someone said that winxp and win2k are for real users lol thats hilarious, you want a real os, use linux, or get a unix box, and use unix. They are without a doubt the most powerfull os's on the planet. And although ive not tried it yet, ive heard that lindows version of linux is supposed to be easyer to use than windows for all you meatheads that need and easy opperating system lol jk. Laters.

True dat - except nobody ever got rich deploying and servicing Unix installations... ;)

No.1
03-30-2004, 04:38 PM

Just double click on the border surrounding the window... that ought to do it :wink:

geekdiggy
03-30-2004, 08:17 PM
[img]Just double click on the border surrounding the window... that ought to do it :wink:

word homie you too are about nine posts too late

gtx28
04-25-2004, 06:56 PM
True dat - except nobody ever got rich deploying and servicing Unix installation

Rc I wont argue symantics, and mabey no individual got rich off it, but a majority of the servers in this world run off of unix or some form of it, like most ibm systems at one time were all aix. Either way there are alot of companies that got rich from the use of unix os's. Define rich, cause i really dont like the term, i prefer wealthy. lol anyhow it seems your career is goin well if your happy then thats what matters. Good Day.

RC45
04-25-2004, 09:02 PM
True dat - except nobody ever got rich deploying and servicing Unix installation

Rc I wont argue symantics, and mabey no individual got rich off it, but a majority of the servers in this world run off of unix or some form of it, like most ibm systems at one time were all aix. Either way there are alot of companies that got rich from the use of unix os's. Define rich, cause i really dont like the term, i prefer wealthy. lol anyhow it seems your career is goin well if your happy then thats what matters. Good Day.

Please argue semantics.

There are numerically more Windows based servers installed in the world by a factors of 1,000's to 1.

...and good day to you too :)

gtx28
04-27-2004, 10:39 PM
There are numerically more Windows based servers installed in the world by a factors of 1,000's to 1.

Guess again your numbers are reversed. There might be more in the pc world but not in the world of networks.

geekdiggy
04-27-2004, 11:11 PM
take it to another thread gentlemen and leave this one for the illiterates who need help

RC45
04-28-2004, 12:09 AM

Guess again your numbers are reversed. There might be more in the pc world but not in the world of networks.

Show me. I say you are wrong.

gigdy
04-28-2004, 01:33 AM
Im just wondering which one of you works on servers and networks for a living? :mrgreen: ^^

gtx28
04-28-2004, 11:17 PM
I used to be a ccna, ccnp, and ccda. But have let all my certs lapse as i do not work in that industry any longer. I am currently a business owner, and my primary company deals in realestate investing. 90 to 99 percent of all the United States govt machines have all been unix based systems. So start your count there. Also take into consideration, that most of Ibm for many years up until about 2 years ago were all running aix, which we all know is a form of unix(Ibm is still using Aix on a majority of there machines even to this day. Additionally most if not all of the DNS servers in the world were all running Unix, or some from of it. Another good example, EMC they have been providing memory solutions for mainframes, and server equip for years. and what is 99% of there volume? Unix machines. hmm wonder why that is. Is the pc market dominated by Windows products, no doubt about it. And is the server world dominated by a much more stable platform called unix, why yes it is.

v0od0o
04-29-2004, 10:56 AM
hehehe I can't believe this, just double click the white frame of the window and all would come back to normal! It's just a special mode of view that's built in the task manager and is activated/deactivated by double clickin anywhere on the main window (not inside the lists)