PDA

View Full Version : scratch in the paint

crochico
06-09-2003, 06:06 PM
i have a slight problem.. a little over 2 months ago, i was at a night club, and i had to park my car.. while reversing out of a full lot to find a spot, i felt a loud thud.. i get out of the car, and i see this 50cm (about 20 inch) high black post that matched with that asphalt that i rubbed against.. it left me with a nice set of scratches, they weren't deep, but there were plenty.. other than taking it to the body shop, which will surely cost me too much, does anyone have any simple suggestions as to how i can at least make it less unpleasent to look at the side of the car? thanks guys

crochico
06-09-2003, 06:07 PM
i will try to take a picture as soon as possible if anyone wants, and i can post it

novass
06-09-2003, 07:40 PM
you could try to buff the scratches out if they arent too deep or maybe a clay bar or touch up paint.

sorry to hear about it, i hate it when that shit happens but it is inevitable unless you dont drive it. need to make a car condom or somethin, call it a cardom

crochico
06-09-2003, 08:04 PM
lol.. i like the idea about the cardom.. it just upsets me that missing that one object and not being careful for one second caused me to do that to the car.. it could have been avoided, that's always the most aggrivating part.. i thought about the buffing and most likely i'll try to do that.. i've tried the clay before, but it just doesn't look that great, maybe the scratch was deep in that case.. either way, thanks for the advice NovaSS

Flawless
06-09-2003, 09:40 PM
you can try some touch-up paint if the scratches arent too bad.

crochico
06-10-2003, 04:29 PM
the scratches aren't too bad.. but the paint job is brand new, and i just don't think i'll do a great job by myself with the touch up paint.. worth the try tho.. thanks

AlienDB7
06-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Check out http://www.web-cars.com/detail/touchup.php

It has some simple instructions on how to fix scratches with touchup paint. I have some scratches in the bumper too. The car came with mystique paint stock, not sure if normal touchup paint method will work.

Wonder when they'll have scratch resistant paint so we'll be free of all the heartbroken moments.

crochico
06-10-2003, 05:28 PM
thanks for the site.. i feel for you, i hate scratches.. if you don't want scratches, you could always buy a saturn with the dent resistant doors, if they can resist that, i'm sure they're scratchproof.. even without scratches, you have to worry about stone chips at high speeds on the highway, and little kids throwing hundreds of acorns from the kindergarten playground.. yes, i saw this last week, there must have been well over 200 pinecombs all over the street and some "parents" were just standing there and the kids kept doing it.. luckily, i was 4 lanes away from the school

AlienDB7
06-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Yea, I hate stone chips. Too bad car bras and mud guards look ugly. Have to take the risk sometimes. Need to practice driving more so I can start dodging bugs and stones :lol:

For saturn, not sure if they're scratch resistent. They use polymer panels to absorb the impact. Probably a stone hitting it at high speed will get embedded into the panel. I believe their panels are not painted so you won't be able to see the scratches unless you look closely.

Don't start driving saturn, I don't want to tell anyone about how I got beaten by a saturn driver at the line!

hyspeed
06-11-2003, 12:02 AM
anyone tried this yet? a friend is using it, says its pretty good and its made by 3M.

http://www.invincashield.co.uk/

Flawless
06-11-2003, 10:13 PM
lucky for me my father owns a auto body shop :)

novass
06-12-2003, 02:33 AM
theres a material some off-road racing companies use, i forget the name, but its a strong coating that will resist a lot of scratches in the paint. you can cover the whole car in it and roll the car and the paint will be fine. im not sure how much it costs, where to get it, how much it weighs or anything so this probably isnt gonna help anyone. but i know it exists...i saw it on Monster Garage...rock climber episode

hyspeed
06-12-2003, 11:00 AM
roll the car and the paint will be fine. im not sure how much it costs, where to get it, how much it weighs or anything so this probably isnt gonna help anyone. but i know it exists...i saw it on Monster Garage...rock climber episode

that's a big claim from them (Monster Garage) which is very hard to believe, but i'm sure that such stuff....maybe those paint they use on military tanks or such.

The Devils Bravo
06-18-2003, 11:05 AM
Hi Dude..

the best way to get minor scratches out of paint work is to use a very fine wet and dry paper to smooth it out a bit not too much then use aT-cut.. not the best polish to be useing but will help with the scratch.. will need to wash and wax the car afterwards.. best useing a Zymol wax there expensive but very very good.. prob the best..

crochico
06-18-2003, 03:21 PM
thanks for the advice.. i'll have to look into that.. hopefully i get off my ass and attempt to get this done in the near future. thanks to everyone for the help

scubywrxr
06-22-2003, 02:10 PM
Try the langka products at Langka.com. They seem to have something good to repair minor dings.

sportVeloce
07-24-2003, 09:00 AM
You could go the way a friend did when he scratched his dads car... he got the toothpaste out and gave it a swirl. Toothpaste acts like a really light cutting compound. Anyway, it was on a faded black bumper bar and he cut the scratch out and surrounding area leaving a new looking black part on his dads faded old bumper bar :oops: So instead of a subtle scratch he had an attention drawing new black bit :lol:

Personally ive used toothpaste in my time... 8) but for my car now I use Kitten cutting compound and Kitten wax pollish. It does an awesome job. If anyone wants I will post a pic of the results on my car?

JEglin
08-18-2003, 11:16 AM
Yup, that stinks....

You might want to try and get hold of the folks at www.aerocolours.com.

I have used them several times in the past with FANTASTIC results. Unlike traditional touch up paint that ends up creating an uneven, and mismatched blob of paint, they use a technique that involves using an actually airbrush to slowly build up the paint. They are also able to mix in clear coat. The results are truly unnoticeable.

The down side is that they have moved away from working on individual cars so you might have to make arrangements to meet them at a Dealership.

Hope this helps.

Jim

kian
01-25-2004, 02:41 AM
if its not too badddd ...maybe u should try to put some stickers to cover-up the scratches .....

Garretts_turbo
02-11-2004, 01:43 PM
good ideas above. buffing it out would be my only idea as well giving the other ideas a shot, or surrendering to the cheapest body shop....
on the end of my street is a family who pays no attention whatsoever to their children. the kids stand at the side of the road and throw rocks at cars....they put a nice ding in the side of my truck. ater a "discussion" with the kids and the parents, no more roadside fun for the kiddies!! :x :x :x