PDA

View Full Version : What I have been playing with all week....

RC45
02-20-2004, 05:05 AM
... it's 3am - and here I am standing in front of a server rack in a secure collocation facility - just me, the server op behind the bulletproof glass and a security guard out front...

By myself I have built, racked, wired and installed/configured a new Win2K Active Directory, SQL server, Web server, and 5 Citrix Metaframe systems.

That's 13 Compaq/HP rackmount DL380 G3's in all - with 1.5TB of SANstorage..

Architected and designed the AD, DFS layout, user environment - the entire security structure - group policies, backup processes, anti-virus components and database server - configured the Citrix servers - installed and configured the apps.

Now you may think "Big freaking deal" - except this has all been done from the ground up - over the last 6 days - and has got to go live for paying customer access on Monday...

:)

I like my "geek time" to be under pressure and a deadline... ;)

Did I mention I am always called in at the last second to deliver "the impossible" - $$ 8) $$ - the best time to join a project is when it is already behind schedule and needs to be delivered - at any cost... :D

With pre-config, setup and post-op work are all said and done - whould be around 200 hours... :D

***** Your will now be returned to our regular scheduled programming ******

yg60m
02-20-2004, 05:45 AM
I was thinking of something more "sexual" :wink:

fishfreek
02-20-2004, 09:43 AM
Now you may think "Big freaking deal" - except this has all been done from the ground up - over the last 6 days - and has got to go live for paying customer access on Monday...

Sounds like alot of fun and of course alot of $$$ for the client to be slapping in your hand.

enigmatic
02-26-2004, 05:21 AM
holy shit RC, thats huge!!!
it usually takes months to plan and implement that sort of stuff! :shock:
well done, you obviously know what your doing!

RC45
02-27-2004, 01:36 AM
holy shit RC, thats huge!!!
it usually takes months to plan and implement that sort of stuff! :shock:
well done, you obviously know what your doing!

Thanks - I am just glad I am able to provide a service and get an obscene amount of money in return - considerng this stuff is pretty easy... but how else could I pay for my stupid car/bike/computer habits AND keep my wife happy (for the un-married - you don't keep your wife happy with sex, since sex stops the day after the honey moon ;) - you keep your wife happy by shoveling cash her way... LOL)

Sp00ln
02-27-2004, 01:39 AM
You fag...

ah... forgive me for I am being a bastard... I to are teh comUtar n3rd.

rallyprox
03-03-2004, 12:39 AM
That's 13 Compaq/HP rackmount DL380 G3's in all - with 1.5TB of SANstorage..

omg i would love to play around iwth that server for a bit i have never seen a server larger than 2 p4's at my school
that is way cool and impressive

gtx28
03-07-2004, 06:47 PM
Nice job RC, I used to be a network engineer, and although not impossable, completing that kind of task and getting all the terminals comunicating in 6 days is improbable if not very impressive, good job!! My personal best was configuring a pix firewall(Woohoo Accesslist Galore!!), and 5 2610 series cisco routers with new ios, and all interfaces, subs, and configs working, and communicating with zero packet loss, in less then three hours. But I havent been in that realm for quite some time. Anyhow good job, laters.