PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with the "new" F1

kteo2003
02-16-2004, 04:50 AM
the last years we all see that F1 has become a little bit borring....in fact there are some tmes that i am getting asleep.it is my opinion that FIA should consider of making some changes to benefit the spectators...i would suggest
1.slick tyres
2.rear wing same for all cars
3destroy all electronics(if that could be possible)
4.increase the length of the car
any other suggestions?????? :idea:

cho_888
02-16-2004, 05:00 AM
mm, a lot of these things are in place for safty reasons so that if the car has a crash the strength of the materials can hold up to teh punishment. Yes it is not as good as it once was, but we no longer *touch wood have F1 deaths commonly.

kteo2003
02-16-2004, 05:16 AM
i think you are right for the safety but i also think that F1 is not only safety but also the excitement that can give to those who drive and those who watch...anyway when you are going with more than 100mph in a corner none of the electronic traction control or the electronic gear box can provide such thing as safety...the only thing that is safety is the "cabin" and how much pressure can takes...anyway leave the electronics.but the slicks????????i think that we all want to see more passes...

cho_888
02-16-2004, 05:19 AM
yes i agree with teh electronics, but thats why launch control has been banned and others are on teh way. Traction controls the big one.

kteo2003
02-16-2004, 05:28 AM
that stuff thoug will not give what we want..that is two cars struggling in a corner oversteering...am i right?

kteo2003
02-16-2004, 05:30 AM
or two cars that they both arrive in a corner and the one driver that passes from the outside....FIA does the rules but also they let the teams to cheat...so i don't think that with banning the traction control will do much of a difference...

cho_888
02-16-2004, 05:34 AM
if you have seen "the crashes that changed racing" you would get a fell for why teh rules have been changed

kteo2003
02-16-2004, 05:41 AM
i've seen many documentaries but i still don't change opinion...in fact there are a lot of people also people who race that they think that F1 should change charackter.i think that they should make some little but important changes..by the way the other forms of racing such as btcc o touring why do they use slicks?i think that the cars themselves are pretty safe..see the accident os schumi 3 years ago.he went with more than 300km/h when he started to brake..

kteo2003
02-16-2004, 05:42 AM
oh i forgott the accident that had alonso last year.and coulthard...no i definetely believe that they should do something.

levensnevel
02-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Just to remind everybody of the 2004 FIA rules for Formula One
http://www.pitpass.com/news2/news.cfm?newsid=8630

kteo2003
02-17-2004, 11:11 AM
"Each team's engines will be inspected at the beginning of the weekend, and significant parts will be 'sealed' to prevent their replacement. Basic work can be done on the engine, including the replacing of spark plugs and even clutches. However replacement of the camshaft would be deemed to be making the engine 'new' and is therefore banned."
that means there is still room fot the teams to change some parts......
"Rear wing endplates have been increased in size, as have the engine covers. Both these changes have been made to allow more space for advertisers logos."
there it is....the real spirit of the F1.....

yg60m
02-17-2004, 12:07 PM
I am agree for the slicks, not for the common rear wing. I think ( and it's Prost opinion too) that they should ban automatic gearbox and maybe pit stops too so they would have to overtake if they want to win a place.
Manual gearbox constrain the driver to concentrate on downshifts (with heel and toe for this type of car) and "favours " mistakes and overtakes.
To ban the Pit stops and we wouldn't see a driver waiting for another to stop and then pushing hard to "overtake" him in the stands.

S0300182
02-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Launch control should go but traction controls is a nessesity, look wat happened to alonso in the first corner of monza in qualifying he didnt have trction control on.

Game-R
02-17-2004, 01:02 PM
I am agree for the slicks, not for the common rear wing. I think ( and it's Prost opinion too) that they should ban automatic gearbox and maybe pit stops too so they would have to overtake if they want to win a place.
Manual gearbox constrain the driver to concentrate on downshifts (with heel and toe for this type of car) and "favours " mistakes and overtakes.
To ban the Pit stops and we wouldn't see a driver waiting for another to stop and then pushing hard to "overtake" him in the stands.Same here for slicks. I don't think it would be a good idea to ban pit stops. The cars aren't exactly safer with additioal fuel on board for the entire race. I however agree with the pits new 100km/h speed limit. This should make pit stategy play a bigger role.
Manual gearbox!?!? :shock: You mean those types in normal street cars?? Lets not downgrade F1 to that level pls.

ae86_16v
02-17-2004, 06:30 PM
I like everything as it is now with the exception of launch control, which is banned this year. I don't know, part of me likes it because you could really figure out who has the better software engineers on the team. Then again, it doesn't leave anything up to the driver except push a button.

I think the tire technology these days, it would not matter much it was it was slicks or grooved. I remember reading something a while ago saying that if we put the grooved tires on cars back in the days, they would've been even faster than with slicks.

Why should everyone use the same rear wing? Aerodynamics is such a big part of winning these days. It is almost like saying "Everyone should use the same Engine." Well, then again if you really like that you could go watch IRL, same chassis, same engines, just different drivers. If you like going around in circles that is :) .

eCartman
02-18-2004, 02:52 AM
I think if F1 make all teams use the same rear wing would spice things up. One thing about modern F1 cars are their aerodynamics that's true, but they also make them harder to get passed. Cars running behind them has tons of turbulence they can't get close to the car in front, let alone pass them.

So I think F1 can design a new wing that can create a little more drag and promote some more passing. What iamb thinking of is what CART teams uses when they're racing on superspeedways. I think they're called the Handford device, rear wings with a big vertical panel at the back of it. This vertical panel create drag and thus reduce speed, but it also punches a big hole in the air it create more drafting opportunities for cars behind you and making it easier to pass. Besides, these vertical panel are perfect for more advertisement at the back of the car.

Teams are still allowed to tweak the rest of the cars so it gives them even more challenge.

kteo2003
02-18-2004, 03:33 AM
this year the pilots have to make the gear changes and the launch control is off but traction control still remains.here where am i they are pretty concered from the fact that F1 has become boring...i've posted and before F1with slicks would be faster.the suggestions i 've posted such as the same rear wing are suggestions that made drivers including alesi at that tv show here in italy.in fact they said that they would gain so much more from the slick that the traction of the car would based on that instead of the aerodynamics..in fact if you watch the history of the F1 you will see that theF1cars became so complicated and so not fun to drive the latest years..when i say same rear wing i don't mean change only that...i say change the rear wing in combination with the slick thing...i don't say that everybody should use the same parts.....
the F1 cars should depend on the meccanical traction instead of the aerodynamics if we want to see something different and not cars that they only make one boring lap after another....because at the end F1 lost his spirit...became because of the bosses of F1 a big advertising trick..
i want to see action....want to see the old F1 returns...when the dad villneuve use to oversteer with 200km/h trying to get rid of the half broken front wing.....
that was F1...

yg60m
02-18-2004, 04:06 AM
I however agree with the pits new 100km/h speed limit. This should make pit stategy play a bigger role.

In my opinion, pit strategy spoil a lot of fun because the drivers don't HAVE to overtake, they just wait that the guy before to stop and then do 1 or 2 fast laps to gain a place. Where is the fun ??

Manual gearbox!?!? You mean those types in normal street cars?? Lets not downgrade F1 to that level pls

I know it would be downgrade for F1 and i think that F1 should have a leader role in research and technology, that's why i don't like the idea of a unique rear wing but we can't get everything and sometimes have to make a choice, i am not the only one thinking it :Alain Prost said it and i think he is well placed to know what is showtime !!
(BTW, did you know that if Schumacher had not gone to Ferrari, Jean Todt had contacted Prost and this one had agreed to resort for Ferrari in 1996 ? Prost and Todt revealed that a few days ago ....)

Launch control should go but traction controls is a nessesity, look wat happened to alonso in the first corner of monza in qualifying he didnt have trction control on.

It's just they are usual with traction control, if they hadn't they would be without, on the F1 Turbo times when they had 1500 bhp in practice and less sophisticated suspensions they had no TC.

So I think F1 can design a new wing that can create a little more drag and promote some more passing. What iamb thinking of is what CART teams uses when they're racing on superspeedways. I think they're called the Handford device, rear wings with a big vertical panel at the back of it. This vertical panel create drag and thus reduce speed, but it also punches a big hole in the air it create more drafting opportunities for cars behind you and making it easier to pass. Besides, these vertical panel are perfect for more advertisement at the back of the car.

This is not really the same target because on Speedways they want big downforce to paste the cars on the track and reduce the speed from, said 380 km/h to 360 km/h and make it safer.
In F1 they would prefer to reduce the corner speed to reduce danger. I can't explain it well sorry i'm short of english :wink:

eCartman
02-18-2004, 07:03 AM
i think they want to reduce speed in general no matter if it's corner speed or straight line speed. Changing rear wing could make teams become less dependent on aerodynamic (straight-line performance) and more innovation about suspension designs (cornering speed).

Imagine if the car rely on so much aero down-force that if any parts are damaged the whole car will flip into the air if the wind was blowing in the wrong way.

I always want to know what kind of contribution they have to the auto-industry in general. I wonder if they can start making more innovation that can translate into road-car application such as braking and engine designs. that way they can spend time and money designing stuff that we can enjoy also.

For example, i suggest they band the use of carbon brakes and start using other materials that can also have street application. That way they would need more braking distance and more chance of error for the less skilled drivers, it's pretty much an extension of what they were trying to achieve with the groove tire, one of their reason was it increase breaking distance compare to slicks.

In addition, since they are spending millions of dollars developing new technologies anyway, might as well make sure they're developing something we common people can use everyday. Remember for those people who are not fan of the sport they don't see why these millions are well spend, i say we make sure these millions they spend are also going to benefit society as a whole.

rift321
02-18-2004, 02:42 PM
They should put cannons on the front of the cars like that old 90's driving game.

... that game was sweet.

On a more serious note, I'd like to see where F1 would go without any technological restrictions. Screw safety - with the increased revenues from more spectators they could attract drivers with a higher salary. Just keep the general restrictions on the car and wheel dimensions.

rift321
02-18-2004, 02:48 PM
i just realized the stupidity of the previous comment - disregard it.

kteo2003
02-19-2004, 06:04 AM
could another solution be to cut the budget of?not to let the teams spend more than a prearranged ammount of money...

campank
02-19-2004, 06:54 PM
The only thing that I would like to see changed in F1 is the points system, even if it reverts back to 2002's configuration. I would have loved to see Kimi win the championship last year but with Michael winning decisively more races it just didn't seem fair.

Personally, I'm a fan of the new F1, I like the restrictions and the high-technology element that F1 provides. It shows that even with all the various restrictions and limitations that are in place, the teams can still build the best car for the situation.

IMHO F1 is not centered around the driver its's centered around the car, and its the performance of the team that wins the race. Therefore with launch control and other driver aides, the work of the team is affecting the performance of the car. Likewise if there is anything that a team can do to increase the performance of their car while hindering another team's car such as custom rear wings etc, all the better (the other teams can do it too).

I understand that many people want to see F1 revert back to a more driver centered sport, but we have so many driver centered sports as it is. Which is one of the reasons I like F1 the way it is. 8)

-K

kteo2003
02-19-2004, 10:11 PM
F1 we ay to be the top motosport...rapresents a technology achievement and the capabilities of a man to control as good as he can the g-forces.....
campank i disagree because as it is the driver does not give offre as he used to...doesn't seem to have the totaly control....F1 is the top motosport and shouldn't be a non driver centered sport...that is for what it was made created...
i don't think the spiritof F1 is cars that costs millions technologies,that are far from everyday cars,and grand pri that at the most part are boring with cars that make laps...
isay we must admire the nowdays F1cars i mean they are great but we also have to admire the human factor the driver
i mean take a look at moto gp to understad why today's F1 lose...