PDA

View Full Version : Cash for Clunkers (The Truth)

black_diamond
07-31-2009, 11:36 AM
So someone told me today about the Cash for Clunkers program and the car dealers have 7 hours to DESTROY the old cars they get!

Taken from an unknown blog post:

One problem with the Cash for Clunkers program is it takes cheap cars off the street for poor folks. The program essentially makes every car, no matter the condition, worth $4500.00. By doing so those of modest means cannot find an automobile for a better price. Now with the directive to chemically destroy the vehicles, the reasonably priced used car market is destroyed as well. In addition, this program makes engine car parts scarce because the engines are chemically destroyed.
This program is just another example of a poorly thought out program that does not help the poor.

July 24 (Bloomberg) — Dealers in the U.S. “cash-for- clunkers” program are being forced to disable trade-in vehicles with an engine-destroying chemical under new rules to prevent those who take the government subsidies from reselling the cars.
Dealers must replace the oil in the “clunker” with two quarts of sodium silicate solution and run the engine for up to seven minutes, permanently disabling it, according to rules released today by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in Washington.

“Substantial opportunity exists for fraudulent diversion of the trade-in vehicle, largely because its still-functioning engine makes it attractive to return the vehicle to the road rather than relegate it to the scrap yard,” the NHTSA said.
The government is trying to help jump-start slumping auto sales through the program, giving consumers new-vehicle credits of as much as $4,500 for turning in older cars. Sales of cars and light trucks in 2008 totaled 13.2 million, after averaging more than 16 million a year during this decade. Federal inspectors will review dealer records and vehicles for violators of the rules, who would face a $15,000 fine per infraction.

Theye nuts!

nthfinity
07-31-2009, 11:52 AM
you must have missed that the Gov. Suspended the program last night at 11:59pm

black_diamond
07-31-2009, 12:04 PM

I know they suspended it but its pathetic that they think its ok to destory cars just to boast their own wallets.

nthfinity
07-31-2009, 12:09 PM
whats really pathetic is that it hurts the auto parts companies who are dropping like flies the last 8 months.

10000rpmlover
07-31-2009, 03:39 PM
whats really pathetic is that it hurts the auto parts companies who are dropping like flies the last 8 months.

our board of directors had a meeting about this program, guess what company was refusing to enter into the program?, that's right, even within Ford there was serious in fighting over this program, like you said, car parts companies would go bye bye quicker than my rx-7 gets to 60mph, of importance to know is that many parts are rebuilt and are cheper than a brand new one, case in point, a rear end for my rx-7 works great as a rebuilt unit and is actualy about half the price of a brand new one, if you can actualy find a new one, now try finding a new drive shaft for a 1988 ferrari... you will not, but I bet there are some rebuilt or "re-welded" ones out there

granted I understand some cars need to get taken off the roads, (please take all those ugly 1980's buicks away)

black_diamond
07-31-2009, 06:02 PM
granted I understand some cars need to get taken off the roads, (please take all those ugly 1980's buicks away)

You know you say that but there is a reason why they are still on the road. There are a lot more of those on the road then those clunker Japanese cars from the 80s.

nthfinity
07-31-2009, 06:52 PM
You know you say that but there is a reason why they are still on the road. There are a lot more of those on the road then those clunker Japanese cars from the 80s.
Many of those 15 year old cars don't fit the requirements for Cash for Clunkers... aka, they originally had in excess of 22 mpg, or their wheelbase is too long/ too short (yep... that is a regulation)... the whole thing stinks to high heaven stupidity.

nthfinity
07-31-2009, 08:45 PM
YouTube

this really hurts to watch.

HeilSvenska
07-31-2009, 08:47 PM
The horrifying procedure for the Cash for Clunkers
Volvo Cash for Clunkers Engine Disabling - YouTube
Engine Disablement Procedures for the CARS Program
THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT TO BE USED BY THE VEHICLE OWNER
Perform the following procedure to disable the vehicle engine.
1. Obtain solution of 40% sodium silicate/60% water. (The Sodium Silicate
(SiO2/Na2O) must have a weight ratio of 3.0 or greater.)
2. Drain engine oil for environmentally appropriate disposal.
3. Install the oil drain plug.
4. Since the procedure is intended to render the engine inoperative, drive or move the
vehicle to the desired area for disablement.
5. Pour enough solution in the engine through the oil fill for the oil pump to circulate
the solution throughout the engine. Start by adding 2 quarts of the solution, which
should be sufficient in most cases.
CAUTION: Wear goggles and gloves. Appropriate protective clothing should be
worn to prevent silicate solution from coming into contact with the skin.
6. Replace the oil fill cap.
7. Start the engine.
8. Run engine at approximately 2000 rpm (for safety reasons do not operate at high
rpm) until the engine stops. (Typically the engine will operate for 3 to 7 minutes. As
the solution starts to affect engine operation, the operator will have to apply more
throttle to keep the engine at 2000 rpm.)
9. Allow the engine to cool for at least 1 hour.
10. With the battery at full charge or with auxiliary power to provide the power of a fully
charged battery, attempt to start the engine.
11. If the engine will not operate at idle, the procedure is complete.
12. If the engine will operate at idle, repeat steps 7 through 11 until the engine will no
longer idle.
13. Attach a label to the engine that legibly states the following:
This engine is from a vehicle that is part of the Car Allowance Rebate System
(CARS). It has significant internal damage caused by operating the
engine with a sodium silicate solution (liquid glass) instead of oil.

Cash for Clunkers is like euthanizing a dog that's no more than 8 years old because it eats too much.

10000rpmlover
07-31-2009, 11:42 PM
OMG is that a volvo? WTF is wrong with people? that was a beautiful volvo, could have had many more years of faithful service:-(

RC45
07-31-2009, 11:59 PM
Cash fro Clunkers was about driving the people to HAVE to buy new cars... by systematically destroying traded in cars they profitability of supporting and servicing older vehicles would drop like a stone.

Parts woul dbecome scarce and .Gov Motors would be able to welcome the "sheople" to thei rnew .Gov mandated cars.

The pottential for corruption was just a bonus fo rthe unscrupulous.

Now people can see what an obama regime managed program turns ou tot be - imagine these fuckers in carge of ALL of our health care?

79TA
08-01-2009, 02:09 AM
Oh my goodness these videos are horrible. This Oldsmobile one . . . poor Aurora V8 . . . :crying::crying::crying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0IcIxhd8ks&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eautoblog%2Ecom%2F2009%2F07 %2F31%2Fvideo%2Dcash%2Dfor%2Dclunkers%2Dengine%2Db eing%2Dkilled%2F&feature=player_embedded

These videos aren't being well received at all. People are seeing this for the complete and total waste that it is. There is nothing green nor ethical about destroying cars prematurely. Until auto recycling becomes much much more efficient, it'd make a ton more sense to let these cars live. All three of the vidoes in this thread so far were of servicable, comfortable, and modern vehicles. The program doesn't really focus on "clunkers" so much as it does rooting out specific cars. It's car genocide.

5vz-fe
08-01-2009, 05:25 AM
disgusted.....

pagani
08-01-2009, 11:43 AM
What fucking load of bullshit.
I think this pretty damm useless program.
Who stupid fucking idea is this the illegal one from kenia?

turpija
08-01-2009, 12:30 PM
idiocracy is aproaching.... fast!

RC45
08-01-2009, 12:35 PM
What fucking load of bullshit.
I think this pretty damm useless program.
Who stupid fucking idea is this the illegal one from kenia?

Yes - the usurper livign at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is behind this program.

And remember he also wants ot be in charge of our healthcare.

He already has the banks, the auto industry, the insurance industry and is about to get control over all of manufacturing via Cap & Trade... soon he will make a run on the telecomuunicaiotns companies.

pagani
08-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Yes - the usurper livign at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is behind this program.

And remember he also wants ot be in charge of our healthcare.

He already has the banks, the auto industry, the insurance industry and is about to get control over all of manufacturing via Cap & Trade... soon he will make a run on the telecomuunicaiotns companies.
New world order my friend

RC45
08-01-2009, 01:57 PM
New world order my friend

I know - and I am sorry for not paying more attention at the time you posted as such ;).

I think yo umigh thave misjudged Bush as "the one" - it seems egobama is "the one".

pagani
08-01-2009, 02:03 PM
I know - and I amsorry for not paying more attention at the time you posted as such ;).

I think yo umigh thave misjudged Bush as "the one" - it seems egobama is "the one".

I told you soBush was the trouble make osama from kenia is the ''god" that puts everything(but is puppett of the banksters and the all powerfull elite he is far worse than bush.
:-P

10000rpmlover
08-02-2009, 01:38 AM
my God, how can people be doing this? all of these cars posted in those videos looked like perfectly good cars with many more life left in them, when I think someone would do that to a volvo which are very good quality and economic cars, it is a shame these idiots are able to breath the same air we do

pagani
08-03-2009, 10:55 AM
my God, how can people be doing this? all of these cars posted in those videos looked like perfectly good cars with many more life left in them, when I think someone would do that to a volvo which are very good quality and economic cars, it is a shame these idiots are able to breath the same air we do
It's really a bullshit plan.

10000rpmlover
08-03-2009, 11:34 AM
there has to be something being fed to americans in the water, I mean how the hell can we have a president who refuses to provide even his birth certificate? has terrorist ties and has a wife who hates america?

HeilSvenska
08-03-2009, 11:39 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/07/vcsprasset_14424_142135_f180375e-5c1a-4adf-98ec-f0efb99cd9db_0_mini_cooper.jpg

This is real.

pagani
08-03-2009, 12:22 PM
there has to be something being fed to americans in the water, I mean how the hell can we have a president who refuses to provide even his birth certificate? has terrorist ties and has a wife who hates america?
Their are lots of stuff in the american waters.
Obama from kenia is worse than bush.

pagani
08-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Here is a good video about obama from kenia
Their is no left of right it is all fraud.
The Obama Deception HQ Full length version - YouTube

10000rpmlover
08-04-2009, 08:19 AM
I saw the obama deception pagani, very good film, I did order a couple of dvds from the infowars site, that bohemian grove one has got to be one true classic that everyone should watch, if only for shock value and entertainment

it is sad to see what america has become under this so called "saviour"

pagani
08-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Something very interesting i just found about the man from kenia
YouTube
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=105764

pagani
08-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Good to hear that
I am glad they stopped it earlier not so much good cars destroyed.
:-)

79TA
08-06-2009, 02:28 AM
That post is a bit out of date . . . Cash 4 Clunkers is still very much in effect. There are rumors that it could end as early as Friday though.