PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear - S12 EP2 - 9th November, 2008 - Discussion

vexor
10-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May travel to the US to take three new generation muscle cars on an epic road trip from San Francisco to the heart of Utah. And after the excitement of their last American road trip, this time they do their best to avoid letting a mob of angry locals pelt them with rocks. Meanwhile, back in the UK Jeremy tests the feisty new Fiat 500 Abarth and pop idol Will Young is the Star In A Reasonably Priced Car.

pitfield
10-30-2008, 09:48 PM
I cannot wait, I'm in America though, is it on here? iPlayer won't work.

10000rpmlover
10-30-2008, 10:53 PM

I am sure some friends in the UK will help by passing the goods onto some of our swashbuckling, rum drinking, sword fighting, sailing for loot types here in the USA.

so I say, ARRR ARRR, yo-ho-ho a pirate's life for me:-P

The Stig
11-04-2008, 09:54 PM
I hope it will be as entertaining as the one of the season 9:thumbup:

5vz-fe
11-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Can't believe May hate the CTS-V.

The Supercharged V8 is damn addicting!!!!! If only each of GM's lineup is having an equal treatment, they won't be in such trouble.

Clarkson "Are you listening Ferrari....THIS IS A MASTER PIECE!!!"

One serious flaw on this episode is that there's no track time for the cars...only salt flats, which only the Dodge is made for

EDIT (Too bad potential ZR-1 buyers are not bothered much by the economy and that it is still at 150k on ebay)

fabro_s
11-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Were can I download the new season episodes???, we will not have them here in motorworld like always??? :-(

10000rpmlover
11-10-2008, 03:14 AM
I am wondering why they have not tested a camaro yet? do you think they may get to it before the end of the series?

MidEngine4Life
11-10-2008, 04:08 AM
What a truly epic episode. Loved watching James mashing on the caddy and jezza powersliding the zr1 through those corners. I just cant believe how Top Gear never ceases to kick ass. I hope new episodes continue to pour out when I have children of my own to share it with. This one I will watch many times over, especially the fact that ive driven from San Jose to Denver on 50 twice now. This episode was close to home.
Scion tC Top Speed (208kph / 128mph) - YouTube

Run_A_Mock
11-10-2008, 10:57 AM
This episode was close to home.

That was dreadful I'm sorry, thats like taking a shopping cart down a hill and thinking we're in a soap-box derby. Sorry mate the Scion is just too afeminate.

pagani
11-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Can't believe May hate the CTS-V.

The Supercharged V8 is damn addicting!!!!! If only each of GM's lineup is having an equal treatment, they won't be in such trouble.

Clarkson "Are you listening Ferrari....THIS IS A MASTER PIECE!!!"

One serious flaw on this episode is that there's no track time for the cars...only salt flats, which only the Dodge is made for

EDIT (Too bad potential ZR-1 buyers are not bothered much by the economy and that it is still at 150k on ebay)
He hated it at first because it's not a typical caddilac but later in the episode he was starting to like it
:-)

5vz-fe
11-10-2008, 12:33 PM
^yeah...It's no traditional Caddy, but we have the STS (or DTS) to satisfy those customers.

The CTS-V is like the IS-F of Lexus.

MidEngine4Life
11-10-2008, 04:28 PM
That was dreadful I'm sorry, thats like taking a shopping cart down a hill and thinking we're in a soap-box derby. Sorry mate the Scion is just too afeminate.

Its a good looking car that's also great value. It was nice to have a reliable and comfortable car that I could drive my friends and my things around in, unlike my previous Porsche and Fiero's. I admit it was a bit of a bore to drive which is why I sold it, but I dont regret owning it, in fact most people I know say I should have kept it. In any case I love my new STi. What do you drive?

Run_A_Mock
11-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Its a good looking car that's also great value. It was nice to have a reliable and comfortable car that I could drive my friends and my things around in, unlike my previous Porsche and Fiero's. I admit it was a bit of a bore to drive which is why I sold it, but I dont regret owning it, in fact most people I know say I should have kept it. In any case I love my new STi. What do you drive?

I understand what your talking about but there are plenty of other cars on the market that are just as qualified that are not so boring and actually have a soul, not to mention the fact that front-wheel drive is the work of satan.

I live in Minneapolis and I've driven the route as well, if I were to 'speed' test it I'd take a Porsche- in fact I've gone to ESPNs speed week its a blast but doing it at 140 is just sad.

2008 Mercedes C300 Sport--its an insane car (quality and curb appeal), but I would never suggest the AMG C-Class. Hammond got it right in saying its a bad car.

79TA
11-10-2008, 05:58 PM
This was an enjoyable episode and I found it kind of appropriate that the state department recognized that they were hardly documentary makers. The running joke worked quite well for this episode. I really wonder what they got for tickets in terms of cost and driving record. Why on earth did Clarkson leave his ZR1 in the right lane during their little burnout contest? Perhaps if he'd have moved it a bit, May wouldn't have panicked and put the Caddy in the bush. :laugh:

When I followed this logic, I bought my Oldsmobile for 1k and called it done. Same 7.8 second 0-60 time too . . . ;-)

jpga
11-10-2008, 06:16 PM
HELP!!! Please please please post Top Gear videos! I don't get Top Gear where I am and all this talk of Corvettes and Cadillacs is making my mouth water!

MidEngine4Life
11-10-2008, 06:32 PM
When I followed this logic, I bought my Oldsmobile for 1k and called it done. Same 7.8 second 0-60 time too . . . ;-)

lol we've had this discussion

I understand what your talking about but there are plenty of other cars on the market that are just as qualified that are not so boring and actually have a soul, not to mention the fact that front-wheel drive is the work of satan.

I live in Minneapolis and I've driven the route as well, if I were to 'speed' test it I'd take a Porsche- in fact I've gone to ESPNs speed week its a blast but doing it at 140 is just sad.

2008 Mercedes C300 Sport--its an insane car (quality and curb appeal), but I would never suggest the AMG C-Class. Hammond got it right in saying its a bad car.

Just for the sake of argument can you please show me some mid sized cars that cost 17k, have a better 0-60 time, get over 30mpg, have Toyota quality, and arent butt ugly. Maybe I overlooked them. When the Lancer came out I admit I wished I had waited for that, but nothing else comes to mind

RC45
11-10-2008, 06:36 PM
This was an enjoyable episode and I found it kind of appropriate that the state department recognized that they were hardly documentary makers. The running joke worked quite well for this episode. I really wonder what they got for tickets in terms of cost and driving record. Why on earth did Clarkson leave his ZR1 in the right lane during their little burnout contest? Perhaps if he'd have moved it a bit, May wouldn't have panicked and put the Caddy in the bush. :laugh:

That just validated any thought that the entire episode as usual is faked ;)

Why would anyone go to Bonneville and do a standing mile instead of a flying mile? There runs did not look like a 2 mile runup to a flying mile speed trap.

The roadside hooliganism was a little lame.

black_diamond
11-10-2008, 11:37 PM
That just validated any thought that the entire episode as usual is faked ;)

Why would anyone go to Bonneville and do a standing mile instead of a flying mile? There runs did not look like a 2 mile runup to a flying mile speed trap.

The roadside hooliganism was a little lame.

Agree, I'm sure there are other people on this board that have been to the Bonneville Salt Flats, I'm was there in 06 for Speed week, you'd NEVER take a car like that even new ones out there, that salt is nasty and near impossible to get off the car, it cakes on and you have to scrub it off. Very Very nasty and leads to rust.

The bit about May driving into the side of the road was funny and plausable, even just driving is dangerous between Wendover and Salt Lake City because its so flat and boring. They need to get back to basics with this program. More real races.

HeilSvenska
11-11-2008, 12:34 AM

Were can I download the new season episodes???, we will not have them here in motorworld like always??? :-(

HELP!!! Please please please post Top Gear videos! I don't get Top Gear where I am and all this talk of Corvettes and Cadillacs is making my mouth water!

Cough, youtube, cough.

79TA
11-11-2008, 02:37 AM
lol we've had this discussion

Just for the sake of argument can you please show me some mid sized cars that cost 17k, have a better 0-60 time, get over 30mpg, have Toyota quality, and arent butt ugly. Maybe I overlooked them. When the Lancer came out I admit I wished I had waited for that, but nothing else comes to mind

Just remember that the Road and Track 6.9 you quoted was for the supercharged TRD model (a 26k car). Your car had the same 7.8 second 0-60 time as the current Corolla S (not surprising given that the TC is pretty much a Toyota Avensis.) The easy answer to that question is just about any used performance car on the market from 4th gen Camaros to FD RX7's. Of course, you must have been bent on a new car and a warranty, so I'll look some up and make a list later. The first things that come to mind are Civics, V6 Mustangs, Cobalts/G5's, Sentras, Chevy Colorados (yes, the trucks,) Grand Prix's and Corollas. the mid 7 to 8 second 0-60 is a pretty solid middle of the road bench mark for just about any car these days.